Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Friendly Dog prevents bloody street massacre

Luba
June 24th, 2004, 06:07 PM
A man, sitting in his car loading ammo into his arsenal of guns in the east beaches area of Toronto.

Just arrived from New Brunswick and a killing spree on his mind. Why? Who knows!

As he prepares for his blood bath, to take out as 'many' people as he can...he is approached by a dog, a friendly dog that accepts and gives attention to and from him.

This momentary gesture of kindness from a canine suddenly allowed this man rational thought long enough to get HIMSELF to a police officer and surrender. Surrender himself and his guns and ammo!

There is no explanation at this point as to what his motive, if any!

I can't imagine what would have happened if this friendly little dog had not crossed this mans path at that very moment!

Thank you puppy!! :D

The story:
http://www.pulse24.com/News/Top_Story/20040624-002/page.asp
He discovered a small arsenal inside the suspect's car, including three high-powered rifles, a semi-automatic pistol, a .357 magnum handgun, an air rifle, hunting and throwing knives, a machete, camouflage equipment, and 6,000 of rounds of ammunition. All of the material was legally purchased.
The suspect made a brief court appearance on Thursday, before being given a psychiatric examination. His physical condition is also a concern - he's a diabetic, without his insulin and is scheduled for open-heart surgery next month for a dilated aorta.

Karin
June 24th, 2004, 06:16 PM
I read about this earlier on another board.

Too bad the Son of Sam serial killer did not listen to his neighbor's dog the same way.

Many lives would have been spared.

AM04
June 24th, 2004, 08:49 PM
:eek: That's right where I live!!! When did this happen?? My brother and myself have been going to the beach everyday, all day for the passed week. He's there now :eek: I also take Chaos there!

Catt31
June 24th, 2004, 09:15 PM
Holy Shizer!!! Thats scary as all hellllll!!!!! Thank God for that puppy!!!! :D

Luba
June 24th, 2004, 09:38 PM
He turned himself in, he's not out there now lol

AM04
June 24th, 2004, 09:53 PM
I know.. but what if the dog never found him.. and I was there while he went through with his plans.. that's a scary thought!

rebel24
June 24th, 2004, 10:08 PM
that is such an amazing story sounds like God sent that dog his way to show him love and kindness and make him open his eyes to a reality that he almost created. hopefully everything turns out ok. sounded like the guy cracked (so to speak) from alot of stress. thank God for that dog!!!!!!

Luba
June 24th, 2004, 10:29 PM
Yes thank God for that dog!

It was meant to be this way. The man knows he had ill intentions, something told him through the love this dog showed him that he needed to get help and he did the right thing.

I'll be expecting that little dog to get some sort of 'award' :)

And I'll say a prayer tonight for that man.

AM04
June 24th, 2004, 11:21 PM
for sure that dog needs recognition. Do they know what dog it was? There was a lady on the video thing that said it may have been her dog. But she never gave a garuntee. I wanna find that dog, and give it lots of hugs! lol. He probably saved my life..

melanie
June 25th, 2004, 01:00 AM
good on the puppy, what a love :) .
but sadly that is what happens when the law states that any freak can have a gun, a deadly weapon as a human right, ha. sometimes i am so glad to live in aus :mad:

chico2
June 25th, 2004, 07:38 AM
Actually this story is a desperate outreach from a desperate man,he knew he had mental problems and wanted to be put away.But like it so often is in our"caring"society many mentally ill people needing help are out there with no help at all.Just walk down a Toronto street and you'll see plenty of examples.
He believed if he killed people in Toronto he would be put away forever and get the help he needed.
A horrific solution to someones problems and luckily it did not happen,but there are many mentally ill people walking our streets with no help what so ever.Once again,a dog proved to be a guardian angel.

Luba
June 25th, 2004, 11:00 AM
Yes and it's so very sad Anita. The stereotypes that occur because of mental illness are a direct result of the way we all live our lives. People walk around with blinders on, hoping that it doesn't affect them, their friends or family.

I can't tell you the number of cases I have experience with, after working in the correctional system, law enforcement and in hospitals. Where people are forgotten about like an old pair of shoes that give you blisters.

If you want to know how serious this is I will give you a little example...

A man with some learning difficulties that was abused as a child grows up to be a man with serious emotional troubles.

He is not very attractive, he is frail looking and has issues with himself about his sexuality. Not sure if he feels more comfortable in mens or womens clothing so he experiments but is made fun of.

He continues his life as a man, and looks for potential female to date. He gets rejected time and time again...no fault of the females they just weren't interested.

Until one day...he just exploded. At a party he begins conversation with a girl he wishes to impress and ask out. To her he is a geek and a little odd and she dismisses him but made a little comment about him infront of others.

He leaves the room....he begins to feel a rage inside of him burning like he'd never experienced before. The man gets a large kitchen knife from the other room and returns to where the girl was.

He has in his 'sights' a vision of her, as he approaches he raises the knife and repeatidly plunges it into her over and over and over again until her lifeless body moves no more!

Yes he is arrested, charged and served 7 years for this crime. Ironically the girl , was not the girl that had fluffed him off...but another girl who happened to have been standing in the same place as the other when he left the room.

7 years of his life, incarcerated without the appropriate psychological assessments or evaluations. 7 years of behind bars and stupid programs to help him with literacy and job skill but nothing to help his thoughts, to find out why he did this...no medication, no psych evaluation. NOTHING!

When he walks out of that facility, he is the same as when he went in..he just has 7 years MORE anger and resentment in him..7 years more mental instability that was never treated.

He gets out on day parole (thanks for staying with the story so far)
He can't find his place in society, he feels rejected where he goes. He does not fit in , and in his mind all women need to pay for this as it's their fault.

Well, I worked in the day parole program with this man as a counsellor.

I was his next intended victim, I had rejected him as this other girl and many in the past had before. The crime he had wished to carry out was diverted by myself. He had with him a knife, handcuffs and a sexual desire to rape and murder.

He was reincarcerated to serve out the remainder of his time until his full parole date. Which was only a year and a half away. This time, he was psychologically evaluated. The results were enough to scare the feathers off a chicken! He will reoffend. There is no doubt about it, and he is back out in society.....with absolutely NO supervision whatsoever!

THIS is how our society deals with mental illness!

Any one of you can experience mental illness or be a victim of it in a different sense!

Thanks for reading (whew) fingers are tired now!

AM04
June 25th, 2004, 03:22 PM
I know so many ppl who need mental help and aren't recieving it.. I was diagnosed with bipolar for some reason and put on a million pills! Because there was a death in the family, and I had become depressed and really didn't want to leave my house. I stopped taking my pills because I didn't want to have a pills altering me to make me happy, and I was seeing a pyschiatrist at the time to try and deal with the death, and had told her I stopped taking them. So she put me in a mental hospital! I was there for 6 months, which made me more depressed because I couldn't see my family, or friends. I shouldn't have been there, and the only reason why I was in there was because I didn't want to take pills. Odd. That's just an example of what they do to the people who need it less.
Here's an example of what they do with ppl who need it more: My friend has attempted suicide multiple times. All they do is put her on an antidepressant, and refuse to put her in a mental hospital like she's requested so many times. Why would they turn someone down when they believe it's best for them to get help?
Also, in march, I was faced with a friend's suicide. He had been seeing a doc about his abusive father, and told them he couldn't take it anymore, and wanted to leave, or find an easier way out (suicide) and they didn't do anything. Didn't put him on meds or anything. They actually cancelled his appointment, and that was the day he turned on himself...

It's sad that ppl don't do anything. I try and help out alot of ppl with their depression and suicidal thoughts, and am told I'm better than a psychiatrist. But I'm not a trained professional to help at the levels I'm helping them. I can't put them somewhere where they're going to get the help they need. When I feel I can't help them, I invite them over. My dogs just love anyone that walks through my door. And that helps alot of the friend's I have. Dog's, any animal really, have this amazing personality trait to make ppl happy, feel loved, and wanted. When I got back from the hospital, I walked in my front door ahead of my dad, and the first thing to come running to me was a puppy. Wagging his tail and licking me. There's no way to feel more loved.

chico2
June 25th, 2004, 04:14 PM
Luba and Amo4,those were some powerful stories and very true I am sure.
It seems today,antidepressants is THE cure-all,,give them pills and they might go away!!! Or better yet,swallow the whole bottle :mad:
I am not blaming family-members,because I know how difficult it is to deal with a mentally disturbed person,but it's always strange,how loving family members appear as soon as something happens,although they might not have spoken to the person for 10yrs.
Well guys,hopefully this man will now get some"real"help,before he breaks down again and maybe takes a few innocents with him.

Luba
June 25th, 2004, 04:54 PM
AM it's so true what you say, I've seen it many many times!

The thing is psychiatry today has grown to a support network for the pharmaceutical companies.

I believe more in psychology therapy then in psychiatry. Though many psychiatric illnesses do require medications. There are many that just need therapy or both and they're not getting it!

This poor man is probably an example of just that!

I am so sorry for the loss of your friend, may I ask how old he was? This is a sad sad situation.

melanie
June 26th, 2004, 05:11 AM
please dont get me wrong, i have the utmost empathy for people suffering mental illness and believe many a stigma attached that are wrong and unfounded. i also believe that more should be done for ill people than just drugs. but i do believe slack weapon laws allow this sort of thing of happen, tighter laws may have helped avoid this situation, it is just extremely rare for such a thing to happen here in the lovely land of OZ, we have extremely tight weapon laws and it has made a huge difference in weapon related crimes.

chico2
June 26th, 2004, 08:01 AM
Mel,we actually do too,in a way. Every gun has to be registered and every single gun this man had,had been registered.The "gun-registry"has cost the taxpayers billions of $$$$$but has certainly not lowered gun-related crimes.
Personally I don't believe anyone needs a gun,not even farmers and crooks are certainly not going to register their guns,most are smuggled through from the US.Also if someone is going on a killingspree,it does not really matter if the gun is registered or not,does it :confused:

AM04
June 26th, 2004, 08:14 AM
He was 17.. had plans of finishing school and becoming a cop :(
Tighter gun laws should be inforced! But sadly, ppl have been saying this for years and nothing's being done about it. Maybe arnie should've focused more on that than the hayden law! (mentioned that in the email I sent him :p ) I'm def. not a drug user (don't even take tylonal), but think that pot should be legalized to an extent.. I mean, look at how low the crime rates are in Amsterdam, and it's completely legal there.

I believe more in spiritual healing and animal therapy than anything really. But I guess whatever helps the individual is all that matters. There just needs to be more help. But also, you can't help more than what someone's asking for, right? Whenever I find out one of my friends is upset the slightest, I put my shoes on and put the leashes on the doggies :D

Chico, you are right.. My grama passed away on May 16th, and it seemed like her funeral was more like a family reunion. Most of the ppl that were there I never even met before, nor did I ever talk to them on the phone. It was awkward, but she was always saying that the family needed to get back together.
I hope he gets the help he needs. If he doesn't, then it'll just prove how blind our society really is *sighs*

Luba
June 26th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Just because guns are supposed to be registered doesn't mean that they are.

The gun registry program costed millions of dollars and has done little to prevent anything. The responsible gun owner is unlikely to be the one to use their gun in a crime. Guns are readily available to anyone looking in the right place. There is a large underground of gun purchasing being done in Canada which has been going on for years.

melanie
June 27th, 2004, 04:41 PM
hey,funny, it is a week later since you posted this and it just appeared on aussie radio news, they said he was middle aged and slightly disturbed, i can imagine the use of 'slightly' is can makes these situations worse and dont help the averge person understand his illness.

our gun laws are really tight, our government have worked hard to remove weapons from our society with alot of success, and we have had big buy back campaigns (government buys your guns off you at full price (even if you dont have a licence) so you dont loose out, and then they are all destroyed, several hundreds of thousands of guns have been destroyed in the past 7 yrs and it is very popular scheme with the gun owners and has proven through crime statistics to have worked). of course any one really trying can get a gun, but over here because of the buy back schemes there is a lot less weapons out there now and it is harder to source them. of course we have drug dealers and gangs with guns, but they are mainly shooting each other..we just dont have many shooting incedents, with two mass shootings in the past 15yrs (mass being more than 4 or 5, i know they happen in america often, not sure about canada though). it is so rare here, and i think the buy back schemes are working and have made a huge dent in our weapon crimes. it is also almost impossible to get a licence (cannot own guns without it) for a gun unless your a farmer.

glasslass
June 28th, 2004, 07:11 PM
Criminals will always have guns. The law-abiding responsible citizens are not the ones shooting people. They have guns for protection. We don't need more gun laws, but better enforcement of the laws we already have. Problem is the drug traffic. The burglaries and robberies are so often drug related. Where do you think addicts get the money for their drugs? What's sad is that guns in the home are targeted for theft because they're easy to sell. All too often the homeowner who has a gun for protection doesn't have the training, experience, or nerve to use it and they're killed with their own gun when they're overpowered. I have to admit that when a local elderly (in her 80's) woman shot and killed an intruder who was assaulting her husband in her home, my husband and I cheered. I'll always remember my husband's grandmother telling about life prior to immigrating to Canada from Russia. First they were required to register all guns, then they were required to turn them all in, then schoolteachers and other educated people lost their citizenship, then they started disappearing, . . . . . :( I'm not about to turn in our guns and post a sign in the window saying "there are no guns in this house". I do however have 2 signs on my gate saying "Attack Cat!" and "Actung! Sharffer hund!" which actually means smart and alert dog, not 'bad dog'. I felt it was a more accurate description! :D