Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Litter Box for Small Dog

JamesO
April 13th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Has anyone had any experience getting a small dog to use a litter box. Our dog (spaniel mix) is generally house trained, but instead of getting up in the middle of the night to take her out, or during brief periods when we are away, we would like her to use a litter box that I built. She has had a couple of "poop" accidents on the floor in the middle of the night, and we have tried laying out doggie mats, but she avoids them.

This is a stray dog that we got from the SPCA, so we don't have any history on her.

Would appreciate any advice on this matter.

James O

duttypaws
April 13th, 2008, 01:08 PM
http://www.wizdog.com/

I found this while looking for cat boxes online.

t.pettet
April 13th, 2008, 08:10 PM
I think this might be very confusing for the dog. I know of one litter trained dog who was taught to use the box solely and won't even pee outside, rather holds it until she's back in the house. If you were to limit her food intake after 6 p.m., give her a good walk daily, some outside play time, and take her outside before bed then she should be empty before retiring. Depending on her age the average dog can hold-on for 7-8 hrs. Keeping her in one room with washable floor (kitchen) or crating her when you're not there will re-enforce teaching her to poo/pee outside.