Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Caesar Milan and Daddy

ancientgirl
April 13th, 2008, 10:19 AM
I've enjoyed watching the Dog Whisperer for a while. I don't know how some of you feel about his way of training, but there is something I love about this guy. He loves animals. And I love that he takes, as he calls him, his faithful companion, Daddy to help him. He always says Daddy is a Pit Bull, and I think that's so important. For someone like him, in the public eye, to show a pit bull in such a positive manner when so many people are terrified of the breed, I think that's great.

I saw on a recent episode he's also taking along with him a female PB puppy. I really hope people who watch the show realize that this breed can be just as good a dog as any other and there is nothing to be afraid of. Whenever Daddy comes on the screen I smile.

pbpatti
April 13th, 2008, 10:47 AM
I really enjoy watching Cesar, I have learned many things from him, of course you need to be mindful that he is an expert in this field and that when I use some of his techniques I have to be careful..I loved the show with the GD who hated bright shiny floors and how he overcame these.

ancientgirl
April 13th, 2008, 12:00 PM
That GD show is the first one I saw, and at the time I have to admit, I thought it looked kind of mean to force him to walk on that floor. But after watching him for a while, I realize that you have to do things like that sometimes. It's like when you are afraid of something. You have to confront it or you will never get over your fear.

On his site he has a short section where he discusses pit bulls and points out it's the owners fault as to why they are so aggressive, which really that to me isn't a breed specific thing. Any breed of dog can be aggressive if that's all you teach it.

Tommysmom
April 13th, 2008, 12:25 PM
I love Daddy, too... have you ever seen him on that show when he's NOT wagging that tail? It's always going a mile a minute, no matter what they're doing, I just think it's so darn cute:lovestruck:. No matter the situation, Daddy's just there being a calm, happy doggy. I see him and just want to snuggle him:cloud9:.

I know there's a lot of controversy around Caesar's methods, but the shows I've seen have been fairly simple - nothing controversial, just walking dogs together and showing owners how to be confident. There was one episode with a bulldog or something, I can't quite remember, and he didn't like to go for walks or go outside... so he hadn't been out in 2 years or something. Caesar showed up with another doggy and the dog just got so darn happy to be around another he was just bursting at the seams with it! He was wagging his whole behind and had a long, happy walk. Sometimes Caesar just seems to know what a dog needs. I may not agree with alpha rolls and stuff like that, but the majority of what I've seen isn't like that.

I must admit, I like him more than some of them on tv who walk in and decide that all treats, toys, beds etc are WRONG - I still can't understand how the number of toys my dog has hidden in a closet or cabinet has anything at all to do with his behaviour. Same thing with the number of treats in a cabinet - if he only gets x number of treats a day for doing good things, why does it matter how many flavours I keep in stock? I'm very lucky that my dog isn't very difficult, but quite honestly if my back was to the wall and I needed to get help or lose my dog, I'd want Caesar on my side more so than the dude who comes in and yells at you for having too many treats in the kitchen.

ancientgirl
April 13th, 2008, 12:44 PM
I think there is controversy in any kind of training that's a little different. For the most part a lot of what I see him doing and saying just makes sense. There is a woman on Animal Planet, on a show called "It's me or the dog." I think she's quite harsh. It seems she sees a dog like just some animal. It's like she doesn't want to give any affection or treats or anything.

I adore Daddy. I wish he were mine. If he had Daddy t-shirts I'd buy one:D

Tommysmom
April 13th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Don't you think Caesar's a little selfish, though? I mean, he's always going on about the dogs' needs. What about OUR needs? He puts Daddy out there looking so snugglicious, and I NEED to cuddle him:cloud9::laughing:.

ancientgirl
April 13th, 2008, 01:20 PM
We need an official Daddy day. I love pit bulls. When I was in high school, a friend of my brother's gave him one from a litter his dog had. We had him for a few months, but my dad wound up giving him to a friend of his who owned a farm. Our yard was tiny, and neither I or my brother had a clue about raising a dog. My mom was also ill, so my dad spent all of his time taking care of her and working. It just wasn't fair to Peachy. But I've always been left with wanting one. Now that I'm older and have more knowledge I'd love to have one, but 1. I wouldn't want to have a large dog in an apartment, I'd want a place with a yard, and 2. sadly pit bulls are illegal here:sad:

But, I can live vicariously through watching Daddy on TV!

Stacer
April 13th, 2008, 01:41 PM
We've just started watching the Dog Whisperer. It's so interesting. We watched an episode last night where a coon hound had spent it's entire life in a lab being used to test animal vaccines, he was terrified of humans and was eventually given to a shelter where he was unadoptable because of his fear. He was slated for euthanasia and one of the shelter workers brought him home instead. She'd had him for 4 years and made no improvement in his fear, it was heartbreaking to see how scared this dog was of the only people who truly loved him. Cesar got that dog to approach his humans and let them pet him by the end of the episode, I was teary and Nathan was choked up too.

ancientgirl
April 13th, 2008, 03:46 PM
I've never seen that episode. It's frustrating isn't it? That poor dog was going to be killed because "humans" made him so afraid that he could not be adopted!:mad:

Melinda
April 13th, 2008, 04:38 PM
We've just started watching the Dog Whisperer. It's so interesting. We watched an episode last night where a coon hound had spent it's entire life in a lab being used to test animal vaccines, he was terrified of humans and was eventually given to a shelter where he was unadoptable because of his fear. He was slated for euthanasia and one of the shelter workers brought him home instead. She'd had him for 4 years and made no improvement in his fear, it was heartbreaking to see how scared this dog was of the only people who truly loved him. Cesar got that dog to approach his humans and let them pet him by the end of the episode, I was teary and Nathan was choked up too.

I knew I liked you two for a reason *S* I saw that episode a couple weeks ago, they had the jar of raccoon "ur-eyen" urine as Ceasor said *L* his accent makes me laugh sometimes, I loved how he crawled into the kennel with the dog but ignore it, put his back to it.
Oh, and I love Daddy too *L*I love how he'll crawl on his belly.. I dont' think he ever goes home with his real owner, he's just happy to let him live at ceasors, I think its because he's so friendly and laid back, what rapper wants a happy large dog?? *L* Bad for their image.

happycats
April 13th, 2008, 06:01 PM
I LOVE Daddy!! He is the sweetest dog!
He belongs to rapper Redman, but lives with Cesar. Many of the dogs Cesar uses, are clients dogs.

ancientgirl
April 13th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Yes, Daddy used to belong to rapper Redman, but I read he signed Daddy over to Caesar because he knew his schedule didn't allow him the time to take care of him. I'm glad he put the needs of his dog ahead of his own needs and image. Daddy is such a wonderful dog. I think seeing him and how really gentle he is, helps change people's minds about pit bulls as a violent breed.

Ford Girl
April 14th, 2008, 04:37 PM
I love him and his dogs and his methods, I'll admitt it. I use it all. :thumbs up

If you love his pack, you should see season 2, The Power Of The Pack episide, so good, Daddy and Popeye - so cute!! And they act so mannerly, and it's neat to see people who are scared of dogs or pitbulls around his guys.
I have 2 seasons omn DVD, if you can get your hands on the DVD's you'd like them even more. Amazon sells them cheap.

Speaking of giving Pitties a good name, did you see they use a pittie in the new Pedagree commercials? Chowing on some kibble, all pitbullish and cute!! :cloud9: On the bag in the back ground was a golden, but neat to see they used a pittie to gobble up the food. :angel:

dmc123
April 14th, 2008, 05:02 PM
I also love to watch "The Dog Whisperer". Daddy is so cute! Big boy, huh?

I once saw part of an episode with Leo the Bassett Hound, who would not walk on the leash, I laughed so hard and now I want to watch it again. I finally found it will show again in the daytime one day this month, so added a reminder so my roomie can tape it for me. Gotta see how he gets that guy to walk...LOL something about that just cracked me up.

The ones I find hard to watch, because they scare me, are the ones where the dogs have "gone bad"....really growling and mean to the owners or other dogs, but I still watch most of them.

Diane

ancientgirl
April 14th, 2008, 08:51 PM
I haven't seen that Pedigree commercial, but I'll look out for it. It burns me up that people don't even give the breed a chance. I read something the other day that stated every decade has a "bad" breed. I can't remember what decades they were, but they mentioned German shepherds, Rottweillers, Dobermans and now Pit Bulls. I remember when I was little, I used to hear people saying that all dobermans eventually turn on their masters. :rolleyes: I used to think, if that's true, then why do so many people have them? It can't be true.

dmc123, I think I've seen that episode. Was the Bassett hound a little chubby and he belonged to a woman who owned a few? LOL, that was a good one.

He's one tough guy. I watched several episodes yesterday and in at least 3 of them he was bitten by the dog he was trying to rehabilitate. Ouch!

Ford Girl
April 14th, 2008, 09:17 PM
I haven't seen that Pedigree commercial, but I'll look out for it. It burns me up that people don't even give the breed a chance. I read something the other day that stated every decade has a "bad" breed. I can't remember what decades they were, but they mentioned German shepherds, Rottweillers, Dobermans and now Pit Bulls. I remember when I was little, I used to hear people saying that all dobermans eventually turn on their masters. :rolleyes: I used to think, if that's true, then why do so many people have them? It can't be true.

dmc123, I think I've seen that episode. Was the Bassett hound a little chubby and he belonged to a woman who owned a few? LOL, that was a good one.

He's one tough guy. I watched several episodes yesterday and in at least 3 of them he was bitten by the dog he was trying to rehabilitate. Ouch!

I think the 80's was the doby, I saw a show called breed all about it, and during that time shelters and pounds filled with them cuz of some scary movies that showed the breed as monsters, aggressive, they were used in advertisements for car impounds, security, movies, etc...they said people just started dropping them off at shelters...:shrug: So awful. :mad:

ancientgirl
April 15th, 2008, 08:18 AM
That reminded me of a movie I saw when I was very young. "The Doberman Gang" It was about some guys who took a gang of Doberman's and robbed banks. It was a 70's movie and I think it was then when I was hearing all the talk about them turning on their masters.

I would like to think, that if a movie like that were made today there would be an uproar. Film makers these days I'd hope are a little more conscious of the repercussions of what they put on screen.

No offense to people who have toy poodles, but I'd like to see a movie like that with toy poodles.