Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Blood in cat's urine

Harley's_Mom
April 13th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Hubby is at the vet right now with our cat Yum Yum. We got up this morning to discover he's been urinating outside his litter box and everywhere he went, he left little drops of blood. Fortunately our vet is open for a couple of hours on Sunday mornings. I was actually able to get a small urine sample for the vet so hopefully we'll be able to get some solid answers about what's going on. Has anyone else gone through this with their male cat and what was the outcome?

krdahmer
April 13th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Thankfully no I haven't yet... just wanted to send you some :goodvibes: & :pray: that it's nothing too serious.

Harley's_Mom
April 13th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Thank you for your good thoughts! Just talked to hubby and Yum Yum is going to be just fine. He's got a bladder infection so he is on antibiotics for a couple of weeks. The vet says it more than likely was brought on by stress...that would be our new little girl Tova causing that. I am so relieved, Yum is my son's cat and he'd have been devestated if it was something more serious. Well, we all would have been upset but Zach definitely would have taken it the hardest.

badger
April 13th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Sorry to hear about YumYum, some antibiotics should put him right. I don't know how old he is, but male cats getting on in years can be prone to urinary problems. The vet will probably prescribe special food, which I am of two minds about; some people say the ingredients are inadequate or even harmful, others that it really helps keep the urinary tract healthy, ie infection-free. I would buy a small bag to start with and then do your own research.

I have a 13-year old male cat living with me at the moment with a (short) history of urinary problems and I'm feeding him 100% canned so I know for a fact that he is getting lots of liquid. Others here have gone to raw, but I'm not there yet :).

PS Good to know everything worked out.