Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

No Doggie parks

jealma
April 13th, 2008, 11:06 AM
In my small town there is no place to let take your dog off leash where they can run. The town has talked about it but it gets put on the back burnner. Now the other problem is I'm a nervous mom. I am afraid to let Abby off her leash. She's so small and still just a baby. She comes when I call her,, ( so far) but because I live on a major hwy I'm not comfortable about taking the chance that she may ignore my call and head for something across the hwy sometime. A dog park sounds great, but there again I worry about dogs I don't know. I had her at my sons,, as you can see in my other thread " Abby meets the family" with very large dogs, but I know those guys and they are trustable. So am I just over protective? Silly question anyways since we don't have a park.. but maybe someday. I feel bad that she is never off the leash outside. Is that unfair of me to keep her leashed?

Elizabeth Ann
April 13th, 2008, 06:42 PM
You can get a 20 foot leash at Dollarama.

I have three of them and use them at the park when is not busy.

Purpledomino
April 13th, 2008, 06:55 PM
I know where you're coming from. I have two big dogs that I take to the off-leash park sometimes, to socialize mainly with other dogs. We live in the country, and luckily there is alot of room to run, but I understand it is good for them to meet other dogs and they absolutely love it. I also have a 6 pound Minpin, and when we all go to the dog park, she stays leashed at all times because of her fragile size should the play get rough and tumble...which it usually does. I also know that she could get into it with another dog, and have nothing to back it up...small dog, big attitude.

You do have options. You could take her to a doggy daycare periodically, one which has small dog only areas for safety. I've often seen people advertise "playdates" for their small breed dogs...in a supervised home or fenced backyard. Advertise your own...even a little friend coming over once in a while, or trade days.... Small dogs don't need alot of room to get exercise. You are not unfair or overprotective by keeping her leashed outside...you are just smart and responsible. :thumbs up