Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog - suspicious lump - does anyone recognise these symptoms?

Winstons Mum
April 13th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Hi all
I am new to this site and am worried sick about my beloved Winston.

He is a 12 year old Staff/Lab cross and has been my best friend for the 12 years he has been with me. He has been prone to fatty lumps under his skin, but in October last year he was very poorly for 2/3 months. His ear filled with blood and was diagnosed with an Aural Haematoma. After numerous drugs and an operation he finally recovered. Although he never seemed very happy after this. I just put it down to him being very sensitive and feeling fed up after the drugs and stress of the op.

However, two weeks ago my husband and I noticed his nose was blocked with thick mucus. We took him to the vet and was prescribed antibiotics for a possible infection. About four days later I noticed that his eye had started to swell up. I took him back and the vet suggested he did an xray to investigate. Also, Winston had turned his nose up at a biscuit - never, ever heard of. Winston and food are like peas in a pod! which rang warning bells with me. The vet looked at his jaw and he wimpered when the vet tried to open his jaw. He was put on pain killers until the xray two days later.

The vet said that he had found a mass behind his jaw and just under his eye. Inital tests proved that it was not a fatty lump so he has sent a sample off for testing.

Winnie is off water, but will eat food. I am syringe feeding him water although he really does not want it. In the last few days we have noticed the side of his head increase in size and it is just the most upsetting thing. I have been in tears since Thursday last week when we found out and have to wait until Wednesday for the results. The vet did rule out a few things and said that it could be Lympona (sure that is the wrong spelling) but wasnt positive. He did also say that it could be cancer, but I am so worried about the rate at which it seems to be growing. The vet has suggested Radiotherapy and/or drugs to help him.

Does anyone have any experience of this type of growth? If so, do you have any suggestions or advice to make him more comfortable/help him through this terrible time?

Any help will be so much appreciated.

Thank you.

Sam

BusterBoo
April 13th, 2008, 10:15 AM
:sorry: I don't have anything to say that will help you and Winston through this, it seems like you are doing everything possible to find out what is wrong.

:pray: that the Vet finds out what is wrong and can help Winston. :fingerscr

hazelrunpack
April 13th, 2008, 11:35 AM
I'm so sorry you and Winston are going through this. :grouphug:

As BusterBoo said, you're doing all you can right now. It's hard to wait, I know. But once the results are back from the biopsy, you'll have a better idea of what you can do to help him.

Hang in there, Winstons Mum! :goodvibes: and :pray:s for Winston's quick recovery.