Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My cat just got spayed...Is this normal??

queenie79
April 12th, 2008, 08:03 PM
I have never had a female cat before. She just got home from being spayed and her sides are all sunken in I don't know if that is something common or if I need to take her back to the vet?

14+kitties
April 12th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Join the crowd queenie. Yep, it is. :) I have just had 8 done in the last 2 weeks. They don't eat or drink before having the operation and they then have major surgery. It goes away after a few days. I posted pics of mine just a while ago. I think you can see a couple of their sides.

Oh, and btw - welcome to pets.ca. Once you get a few posts in you can start showing off your baby. :)

queenie79
April 13th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Is it also normal that she is vomiting a little?? She hasn't eaten much which I was expecting but she has thrown up 3 times since she came home on sat.
I have always had male cats and am pretty clueless as to what to expect with her.
Thanks for your help!!!

14+kitties
April 13th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Is she drinking water? Keeping her hydrated is the most important thing. Some cats don't want to eat at all after they come home for a day or two. Others pig out. The last of mine were done on Sat and have spent when we got them home yesterday and most of today sleeping.
If the vomiting continues please call your vet. He/she will let you know what to do for her or will ask you to bring her in. It is possible that it is from the anestetic. Possible, but I am not a vet so am not sure. Call your vet in the morning to be on the safe side.

queenie79
April 14th, 2008, 07:03 AM
She is drinking water but everytime she tries going in the litterbox I notice her licking her lips and then she throws up. I am keeping her in another room by herself right now too because of my little male kitten who is only 4 months old and he was trying to mate her before she got spayed. I didn't want him trying that after she got home. She does comes out and walks around a bit and then goes and lays back down.

I appreciate your help
Thanks

Love4himies
April 14th, 2008, 09:04 AM
The cats that I have had spayed did not vomit after spaying. I would take her back to the vet for a check up.

queenie79
April 14th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Well I took her to the vet and she has a very mild infection. The vet said I brought her in at a good time before it got worse. So now she is staying overnight and will be given some antibiotics and fluids cause she was a bit dehydrated from not eating or drinking much.

Thank you all for your help!

badger
April 14th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Poor girl! I hope you can bring her home soon.

CyberKitten
April 14th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Did the vet give her (or you I should say) for prevention purposes) antibiotics, usually or some type of penicillin just for that purpose. Cats can come into contact with all kinds of infection at the vet- even in the most sterile of condition,s you have to keep in mind there have been ill animals there so an animal will come into contact with infection in some manner- and some are not at all bothered, some never come into contact w. germs or bacteria but some do.

Mine are always on a week long antibiotics dose post spay or neutering. I actually do not take my fur babies to a vet who does not do that and it is one of the main questions I ask. Some vets inject antibiotics pre op as well or ijn lieu of. I think the latter because one never knows what kind of bacteria might have been there plus the additional problem of a cat being around so many people and things just after surgery. Think of people who have surgery. Post op , they usually go home with their meds and instructions and they usually manage to keep their bandages on (tho you would be surprised how many do run into probs- they take them off, they take a shower wen they should not, etc) or somehow infection affects the site of the incision. Cats also need to be cautions about their incision and since they are going to try to lick it off, we need to ensure for them that they are not infected or tat they do not "poke" at it too much!

I hope your girl w2ill be home soon and am glad it is a minor infection- that is good news at least! Too bad they would not let you take her home- where she would not be near all those infections but I suppose the good side iof that is that they'll be able to monitor her!

Hazmat
April 14th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Wery unusual. 3 girls all done, one boy. All had no issues. did the b=vet charge you for the second visit? One Vet sais wait a while. One vet sais wait a whikle. oNE SAID WAIT.

mY GYESWS IS TO WAIT.

queenie79
April 14th, 2008, 07:02 PM
I guess I should call my kitty by her name eh lol!! When Meeka came home after her surgery the vet didn't give me any meds to take home at all, and like I said I never had females before just males and when my males came home after surgery they didn't have meds either so I thought this was normal. I should be able to bring her home tomorrow morning if all is well and the vet isn't charging me for this which is nice
I hope she will be ok.

Love4himies
April 15th, 2008, 06:01 AM
I have never been given meds after my females have been spayed. I have had 7 females spayed recently and never had any problems.

queenie79
April 16th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Well my poor girl is home now after a 2 day stay at the vet. Apparently she had a slight infection and they wanted to give her some antibiotics and fluids cause she was dehyrated. She is doing much better now and is soooo happy to be home, and I am very happy to have her back

Thanks for all the help everyone!

rainbow
April 17th, 2008, 02:19 AM
Glad to hear she is doing much better. :thumbs up And, now we'd love to see pics of your little girl. :cat: