Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Chico earmites

chico2
April 12th, 2008, 04:25 PM
I was checking Chico's ears the other day and it seems he has some black oily looking stuff in his ears:yell:
I've never had a cat with earmites,is that what it looks like??
Anything I can do? Can I clean his ears with something?

I will definetly take him to see our new vet if it's needed,don't know much about ear-mites.
The other cats have clean ears..

krdahmer
April 12th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Supposed to look like this....

If your guys are on Revolution though, it's supposed to get rid of ear mites. (not sure if you treat them since they do go outside but don't leave the yard)?

My guys sometimes get black slick looking stuff in their ears but the vet said its just natural ear wax like what we get.

badger
April 12th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Does it smell yeasty? If he isn't scratching (or more than usual), chances are it's just dirt. Badger's get really grimy looking sometimes; I wipe them out with a little warm water. I've heard that a weak solution of water and apple cider vinegar is good, but haven't tried it.

Dr Lee
April 12th, 2008, 05:26 PM
As far as home ear cleaners, the dermatologists often will recommend white vinegar in a 1:1 ratio. The acetic acid will help prevent both yeast and bacterial infections and is safe even if the ear drum has been ruptured. I have not heard about apple cider vinegar but it sounds similar. :pawprint:

Love4himies
April 12th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Jasper was getting some blackish stuff in his ears too, but after the vet check, it was just dirty something.

I think if you have multiple cat household if one kitty has earmites, they all get them pretty quick. How are Vinnie's and Rocky's ears?

14+kitties
April 12th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Poor Chico. Nasty mites. I hate them.
Have you ever tried those ear wipes you get at the pet stores? I use them on my kitties and haven't had any problems. Knock on wood.
Give Chico an extra hug for me please. :fingerscr it clears up fast.

chico2
April 13th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Thank's everyone:thumbs up
Dahmer,no it does not look like that,it's not grainy,it looks more like dirty motor-oil:confused:and he is not itchy,does not seem to be bothered by it and no smell really.
They are not on Revolution,I use Advantage normally but not before it gets warmer.
Rocky and Vinnie have nice clean ears,I'll clean Chicos ears out today with some vinegar and water
Chuck's,here I was thinking I would have an excuse to go see my new wonderful vet:laughing:
Dr Lee,thank's!