Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vancouver - Lost Dog - Shiba Inu - Help

lost_dog_vancit
April 12th, 2008, 01:38 AM
Our dog ran out the door and we lost the foot pursuit... :(

The last I saw him he was headed west in the alley between 20th and 19th avenues. Shiba's are known for loving to run for their freedom.... so he could be anywhere by now.

His name is Talli. He is a tan-red short haired dog with a white underbelly. He was wearing his house collar... thin and rounded brown leather. Unfortunately... that collar does not have any tags.. :(

Talli *does* have a ID chip implanted... so you could take him to a vet or the pound. Hopefully you'll PM or email me first. My name is Jason.

lost.shiba.inu.vancouver@gmail.com

Thanks so much... :dog::fingerscr

growler~GateKeeper
April 12th, 2008, 01:39 AM
On the East side or West side? And what's the cross street?

lost_dog_vancit
April 12th, 2008, 02:05 AM
He started at Main & 20th and was headed West. Someone in the back alley said that he turned South a few blocks in -- but from there nobody had any news...:pawprint:

growler~GateKeeper
April 12th, 2008, 02:12 AM
That's still aways from where I have relatives but will let them know to keep a look out should they be over that area :goodvibes: :fingerscr

Have you ever walked him down to the Tisol on Main & 13th? :shrug: could he head there for treats? Any parks you frequent in the area?

Does he respond when you whistle? the sound travels farther than calling

:goodvibes: :fingerscr

lost_dog_vancit
April 12th, 2008, 02:18 AM
Thank you Growler. Yeah... one of the first thing I did was go to Tisol. He does love that store. I gave them posters.

I rollerbladed around a 3km radius whistling... I do have him trained with that. But no dice so far.

We put up posters all around the area... and he is uber-friendly, particularly attracted to other dogs so perhaps a dog-person managed to grab him. We left messages at the pound.

I'm going to go out and try again early in the morning...

growler~GateKeeper
April 12th, 2008, 02:21 AM
What time did Talli take off?

Did you leave messages @ both the SPCA & Animal Control?

lost_dog_vancit
April 12th, 2008, 02:23 AM
It was about 3pm Friday April 11.

We did phone them both... and will again throughout tomorrow.

growler~GateKeeper
April 12th, 2008, 02:32 AM
:goodvibes: :fingerscr good luck :pray:

:grouphug:

chico2
April 12th, 2008, 08:35 AM
I just hate to see Lost Dog posts,I was hoping for a good ending in the last post,but not so.:sad:
I:pray:someone has picked him up and he'll be home soon:goodvibes::goodvibes:

Love4himies
April 12th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Oh I hope you find him soon :fingerscr:pray:.

growler~GateKeeper
April 13th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Is Talli back home yet? :fingerscr :goodvibes: :pray: :goodvibes:

baberuth1ca
April 13th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Did you try posting on vancouver.kijiji.ca/ ...it's free and they have a lost and found under community. I sure hope you find your baby.

lost_dog_vancit
April 13th, 2008, 11:10 PM
:lightbulb:

Good news!!

Talli's been found! At UBC!! :eek:

Yesterday I got a call from the SPCA who let me know that there was a Shiba spotted at 16th and Westbrooke. I was excited and hopeful but sort of skeptical because UBC is a pretty far run from Main. Still.... how many lost Shibas could there possibly be?

This morning I got another call and someone managed to catch this mystery Shiba and had them at their house. A quick phone call and it sounded like a fit... very similar (unique) collar... and he seemed to respond to his name.

Now extremely excited (but still hesitant to get my hopes too far up) my friend and I drove over to see if it was him.

AND IT WAS!!! :)

We had a great reunion and spent the day walking together... though through the course of our Sunday he never did tell me what he got up to on his little adventure.

////

In the last two days we received a number of emails and phone calls with well-wishes and sympathy. Thanks so much to all of you. I have a whole new appreciation for the goodness of people.

Thank you thank you thank you. :highfive:

growler~GateKeeper
April 13th, 2008, 11:21 PM
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!

awesome :thumbs up

I'm so glad you found him :grouphug:

A mystery for sure how he got that far :shrug:

Love4himies
April 14th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Oh I am so glad you found your dog. BTW how far is it from where he was lost to UBC?

shirley1011
April 14th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Yes! That is such wonderful news....I would also be interested to know how far to UBC...would help some of the rest of us with missing dogs to know just how far a stray dog can travel.
:thumbs up So happy for you...now come on home Sable, Spencer and Billie.

chico2
April 14th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Just the kind of news I like on a Monday morning,great stuff:thumbs upThank you!
Shirley:pray:for Spencer,Billie and Sable:fingerscr

growler~GateKeeper
April 15th, 2008, 12:57 AM
Oh I am so glad you found your dog. BTW how far is it from where he was lost to UBC?

Yes! That is such wonderful news....I would also be interested to know how far to UBC.

It is approx. 13 kms :eek: for a small dog that's alot

:shrug: I wonder if someone picked him up & had him in their car, drove over there & when they opened the door he took off again (OP mentioned he is super friendly) :shrug: but then again he was gone from Friday afternoon and reunited Sunday morning :shrug:

rainbow
April 15th, 2008, 01:08 AM
If they could only talk. :D

I guess we'll never know how he got there but I'm sure glad he is now safely home. :thumbs up :cloud9:

Love4himies
April 15th, 2008, 08:07 AM
It is approx. 13 kms :eek: for a small dog that's alot

:shrug: I wonder if someone picked him up & had him in their car, drove over there & when they opened the door he took off again (OP mentioned he is super friendly) :shrug: but then again he was gone from Friday afternoon and reunited Sunday morning :shrug:

Wow 13KM through the city!.:eek:

SIL
April 15th, 2008, 09:01 AM
GREAT NEWS!!!! I'm glad everything worked out ok for you.:thumbs up

luckypenny
April 15th, 2008, 10:33 AM
That's wonderful news, lost_dog_vancit. You must be ecstatic.

For those who are wondering, the Shiba Inu belongs to the 'spitz' family of dogs (such as the Akita) and have exceptional endurance. 13km can be just a stroll for most of them :D .

Love4himies
April 15th, 2008, 10:59 AM
That's wonderful news, lost_dog_vancit. You must be ecstatic.

For those who are wondering, the Shiba Inu belongs to the 'spitz' family of dogs (such as the Akita) and have exceptional endurance. 13km can be just a stroll for most of them :D .

Oh, thanks for clarifying, Luckypenny, I was picturing a tiny lap dog:laughing:

lost_dog_vancit
April 17th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Yeah, the Google Map says it was about 15 KM.

I got more information from someone who spotted him on Saturday -- she said that another lady she talked to saw him running in the fields there FRIDAY.

So he must have booked it from Main to UBC all in a couple hours Friday afternoon.....

Shibas can definitely run so it's not hard to imagine him doing it --- it's just a surprise that he would have chosen to do that.

It's funny because I focused my search to a 2 or 3 kilometer radius... rollerblading around whistling like a chump. Haha.

Nearly a week later, you'd never know he took off. He's totally fine and healthy. It *could* be my imagination, but he does seem to be a bit more respectful. Maybe now he understands why we give him rules.... :dog:

growler~GateKeeper
April 18th, 2008, 01:53 AM
Just a couple of hours huh? He must needed a run :rolleyes: Scary when you know all the major cross streets in between. :eek:

Good to hear Tallis' is behaving himself now :angel2:. Thanks for the update :thumbs up

rainbow
April 18th, 2008, 02:14 AM
I was thinking the same thing about the major intersections. :eek:

Btw, lost_dog_vancit, welcome to pets.ca :thumbs up ....... I hope you decide to stay. :fingerscr And, we'd love to see pics of Talli. :D

growler~GateKeeper
April 18th, 2008, 11:34 PM

Oh, thanks for clarifying, Luckypenny, I was picturing a tiny lap dog:laughing:

The Shiba Inu while a spitz breed, is actually a small lap dog :D, they are slightly smaller than a Keeshond. The Shiba height tops @ 16", and they get upto 25lbs more info and pics can be found @ http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/shiba.htm

rainbow
April 19th, 2008, 03:38 PM
But, I still want to see pics of Talli. :D

lost_dog_vancit
April 25th, 2008, 01:37 PM
As requested...!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3132/2297151856_e7af0851eb_o.jpg

http://www.blasphemebourne.com/files/u2/_talli.jpg

Love4himies
April 25th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Oh what a cutie, he almost has a fox like face. I don't think I have ever seen one. Thanks for sharing a picture of him.

rainbow
April 25th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Oh, Talli is very handsome :lovestruck: and I can see a mischieveous look in his face. :evil:

Hope to see more pics of him in the Photo Forum here. :fingerscr

chico2
April 25th, 2008, 05:09 PM
He ius adorable,so happy he made it home:thumbs up
I saw one in the window of a house on my walk,there was a huge Labra-doodle and right beside him a little dog who looked like a fox.
I was told he was a Shiba Inu,adorable:lovestruck:

badger
April 25th, 2008, 06:06 PM
I LOVE him, what a pretty boy. Glad he's home.

growler~GateKeeper
April 26th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Talli is very handsome :lovestruck: Thanks for sharing your pics with us. :D

Shiba Inu's are pretty popular in the Greater Vanc area, I usually see one at least once every two weeks.