Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Problems With Quality Dog Food?

Harley's_Mom
April 11th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Has anyone else had issues with their dog not being able to tolerate high quality dog food? My Newf, Tova is 13 weeks old and we're having a very difficult time finding a kibble that she can handle. We tried her on Wellness, that ran right through her. We are now trying to wean her onto Orijen Large Breed Puppy and her stools are very,very soft. We've been feeding her a mixture of rice and chicken with pumpkin and plain yogurt added on occasion. At suppertime we throw in a handful of kibble. I'm starting to worry that her stomach just can't handle the kibble. Any thoughts?

Frenchy
April 11th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Harley's mom , lots of dogs are having poop problems this time of year , one vet told me it's because these dogs ate snow ... it does take time to get their stomachs back to normal. I'm still having problems with some of my guys and don't have any snow left for them to eat.

So maybe , in your case , it's not the food. You may want to try some probiotics before you switch her food again ?

Harley's_Mom
April 11th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Tova is definitely a snow eater and unfortunately we have lots of snow left. I'm trying to push through with the Orijen, it's an awesome food and I really want to be able to leave her on it. Why does eating snow cause diarrhea?

aslan
April 11th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Think of all the crap that is in the air that with rain would just runoff. With snow its sitting there as a large pollutioncycle.

Frenchy
April 11th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Think of all the crap that is in the air that with rain would just runoff. With snow its sitting there as a large pollutioncycle.

ditto aslan.

Oh and by the way Harley's_Mom , it is on this board rules , when you ask a question like this , you must post a picture of the dog , yep , it's the rule :whistle:

:D

aslan
April 11th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Frenchy is absolutely right, it amazes me how many people don't see the you must post pictures part. So instead of going and looking just take our word for it.

Frenchy
April 11th, 2008, 10:13 PM
So instead of going and looking just take our word for it.

sheesh , you're on a roll tonight , ditto again :laughing:

Harley's_Mom , you're our only member with a newf :lovestruck: that explains the pressure , because we're usually not like this. :D

shane 123
April 11th, 2008, 10:14 PM
This is one of the reasons I gave up feeding kibble ages ago. I've been feeding raw for yrs and have never had another problem with intestinal problems.

aslan
April 11th, 2008, 10:15 PM
sheesh , you're on a roll tonight , ditto again :laughing:

Harley's_Mom , you're our only member with a newf :lovestruck: that explains the pressure , because we're usually not like this. :D

lol, she is soooo lying to you harley-mom, we are always like this some worse than others>>>>at frenchy.

Harley's_Mom
April 11th, 2008, 10:39 PM
lol.....I just posted some new pics of her in the photo section.

Frenchy
April 11th, 2008, 10:41 PM
lol.....I just posted some new pics of her in the photo section.

Yes but only 3 pictures :sad: just kidding :laughing: I love big breeds puppies :lovestruck:

gypsy_girl
April 13th, 2008, 02:53 AM
This is not uncommon with puppies that have an immature digestive system.
I would pick up a prebiotic, or Eagle Pack Solution, and you may want to consider removing the yogurt, as some dogs are lactose intollerant. The Eagle pack solution has prebiotics AND probiotics without the lactose.

geisha
April 13th, 2008, 02:33 PM
:lightbulb:I'm so glad that the snow melted as my snow eating samoyed has now stopped having loose poo. I just thought I was giving her too much food. Thanks for that.:offtopic: