Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Meet Lucy...

Tommysmom
April 11th, 2008, 07:01 PM
This is Lucy. She's about 5 years old. Tommy visited her last week and got along with her fairly well, so she's coming to stay with us for a few days to see how they get along on his turf... I really, really, really hope it goes well:fingerscr!

That's why I was asking before about Tommy's behaviour and whether or not it seemed aggressive or fearful. We visited with somebody who has wayyyyyyyyyyy more experience than me so they could actually see his behaviour first hand, and give me tips on how to handle it better than I do as well as some insight into what his doggy body language really means. He actually play bowed to Lucy twice though, and then tried to lick her ummm... girly bits... :o... and he really seemed to be ok with her. We'll see how we do when she's here, though. She was getting spayed today and we'll pick her up on Tuesday for our visit.

I think we're ready - we have a crate, car harness, dishes, etc. I've put her crate in a spare bedroom for now, since Tommy has the run of the house when we're gone and she won't. I didn't want him to tease her, or feel scared of her, so she'll have her own quiet space away from his usual quiet spaces.

This little girl has had two homes so far and is now staying at the breeder's house, so I think it's really, really important that we start off on a good foot with her - I'd like to give her the forever home she deserves, you know? Fingers crossed, we really want this to work. If anybody has any suggestions on how to not screw this up, I'd love to hear them!

Frenchy
April 11th, 2008, 07:22 PM
No way Tommysmom !!! :highfive: yipppeeee ! Lucy is adorable ! :fingerscr that Tommy will be on his best behavior (he already did with many dogs so I'm pretty sure this will work out!)

Congratulation !!!!! :stork-baby: :laughing:

Reality
April 11th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Pretty looking little girl. You say she's 5 and has had a few homes so I"m guessing you know her history ( if she has any problems) I have a feeling she will be getting a great home and very loving family with all the preparing you are doing and checking things out first. Keep us posted on the new family

Tommysmom
April 11th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Thanks:D. We're so excited, and hoping it goes well:fingerscr:fingerscr:fingerscr:fingerscr:finge rscr:fingerscr:fingerscr:fingerscr.

Tommysmom
April 11th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Yeah, we know her history - and unfortunately, none of it seems to be her fault. Her first owners did the usual 'well, we have to move, and we have 3 dogs but the new place only allows 2':sad:. She was with them for 4 years or so, grew up with their kid. They claimed to be heartbroken... obviously cared so much about her that they didn't even bother to have her spayed, as per her contract from the breeder:wall:.

Second guy had her for 6 months and then got married - wife won't let the doggy in the house. She got loose from there and was on the run for a few days too. At least he cared enough to give her back to the breeder, but come on - I couldn't marry somebody who didn't want doggies in the bed, much less in the house!

She's sweet, but untrained - potty trained and that's about it, we'll be starting from scratch with training. She's a bright one though, I'm sure she'll learn well. Our biggest challenge will be gaining her trust - she's been through a lot of changes in her short life and is pretty anxious whenever the breeder is out of her sight. Lots of love, lots of patience, and lots and lots of treats should do the trick:lovestruck:.

ancientgirl
April 11th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Oh wow she's a real cutie! It sounds like you have everything ready for her. Why was she given up?

Frenchy
April 11th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Holy crap that poor doggie , what are the odds of getting not one but 2 morons of adopters :frustrated: but she will be ok now ! :cloud9:

Tommysmom
April 11th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Yeah, that's why we're being very careful about this, if you saw her you'd understand - I really think one more home or family that gives her up would just be it for her... I don't think she can really take much more tossing around:sad:.

Frenchy
April 11th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Our biggest challenge will be gaining her trust - she's been through a lot of changes in her short life and is pretty anxious whenever the breeder is out of her sight.

How long as she been at the breeder since the last owner left her ? Because she just may be doing the same thing with you after a couple of days . I mean , she may just be starving for love and affection / attention. :cloud9:

ancientgirl
April 11th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Poor girl. The first family giving her up after 4 years is bad enough, but the second guy is an idiot. Sorry, but anybody who is going to be with me has to accept my cats are part of the package. I have a feeling she's home to stay.

Tommysmom
April 11th, 2008, 08:01 PM
She's been there for a month or so I think, she was boarded there while her owner was away and then decided he couldn't keep her.

Man, it would be just horrible if she did that to me... absolutely terrible if she was a velcro puppy... how on earth could I handle Tommy and Lucy snoozing in my lap? Life would be sooooooooooo hard:rolleyes::cloud9::cloud9:... hehehe.

Frenchy
April 11th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Life would be sooooooooooo hard:rolleyes::cloud9::cloud9:... hehehe.

Come back to me once you have 3-4 , 80-100 lbs dogs following you everytime you go to the bathroom :laughing:

yes yes I know , I should just close the door :laughing:

You know , all my goldens (and now Nelly) are or have been pretty velcro to me , I wouldn't have it any other way :cloud9:

Tommysmom
April 11th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Poor girl. The first family giving her up after 4 years is bad enough, but the second guy is an idiot. Sorry, but anybody who is going to be with me has to accept my cats are part of the package. I have a feeling she's home to stay.

I totally agree... my hubby and I actually had a very serious discussion in the beginning about whether or not we were 'dog on the furniture or dog off the furniture' people, I could NEVER marry somebody who wouldn't want pets.

Frenchy, I already have one who follows me into the bathroom... what difference is two? Now, the two of them together would still only be less than 30 pounds though, not like yours:laughing:. I've given up closing doors, too:laughing:.

onster
April 11th, 2008, 08:11 PM
awwwwwwww congrats tommysmum!! hope all goes well!

Im surprised the breeder didnt have her spayed b4 she sent her to home number 2 tho...

hazelrunpack
April 11th, 2008, 09:28 PM
She's beautiful, Tommysmom! :fingerscr :goodvibes: that Tommy continues to think so, too! :D

How exciting! :highfive:

rainbow
April 11th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Lucy is adorable :lovestruck: and just what Tommy needs. :cloud9:

Is she the same one in your other thread with the cataracts? :confused:

clm
April 11th, 2008, 10:33 PM
I think everyone should have at least a pair of dogs. :D Who know's you may even end up with 4 pairs one day, like Hazel. :laughing:
She's adorable. I think she deserves to have a great home with you.

Cindy

Tommysmom
April 12th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Thanks everybody! We're keeping all our fingers and paws crossed that this works out:pawprint::fingerscr.

Rainbow, yes, this is the little gal with cataracts. I've spoken with the breeder extensively on this issue, researched it, looked at her family history, and we'll be taking her to our vet for an evaluation as well... but it does sound as though she might be just fine. Cataracts are certainly one of the issues jacks have but often they do not develop severely enough to cause total blindness - although they can. Hers are very small and haven't changed since she was first tested, but there are no guarantees. I'm comfortable enough though, after getting as much info as I can, that she's got about the same chance of having issues as any other dog we might get, at least we know and can monitor the situation. That's the reason she was taken out of the breeding line, and supposed to be spayed - which was done yesterday, finally!

Tuesday is just a few days away now... I'm counting down the days!!

Tommysmom
April 12th, 2008, 08:55 AM
I think everyone should have at least a pair of dogs. :D Who know's you may even end up with 4 pairs one day, like Hazel. :laughing:
She's adorable. I think she deserves to have a great home with you.

Cindy

Hmmm... the problem is, jacks are all so small, so I'd probably need about 16 to match Hazel's 8:laughing::laughing::laughing:.

diandpat
April 12th, 2008, 08:57 AM
OMG if you get 16 JRTs I'm coming over to watch...you could power the whole city block!!!! :crazy: The two you have (I KNOW it is going to work;)) are just adorable.

Lukka'sma
April 12th, 2008, 09:33 AM
I just know this is going to be a great brother/sister combination. Lucy is as cute as can be:), but my heart still belongs to Tommy:cloud9::lovestruck:

Chris21711
April 12th, 2008, 11:08 AM
I love Jack's:lovestruck: She looks fiesty like all Jack's, Tommy wont be able to help himself and not fall in love.

rainbow
April 12th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Thanks everybody! We're keeping all our fingers and paws crossed that this works out:pawprint::fingerscr.

Rainbow, yes, this is the little gal with cataracts. I've spoken with the breeder extensively on this issue, researched it, looked at her family history, and we'll be taking her to our vet for an evaluation as well... but it does sound as though she might be just fine. Cataracts are certainly one of the issues jacks have but often they do not develop severely enough to cause total blindness - although they can. Hers are very small and haven't changed since she was first tested, but there are no guarantees. I'm comfortable enough though, after getting as much info as I can, that she's got about the same chance of having issues as any other dog we might get, at least we know and can monitor the situation. That's the reason she was taken out of the breeding line, and supposed to be spayed - which was done yesterday, finally!

Tuesday is just a few days away now... I'm counting down the days!!

Yes, after reading the links I posted in your other thread, I wouldn't be too concerned either. :)

Only 3 more sleeps. :D

Tommysmom
April 12th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Your links were a HUGE help, Rainbow... thank you! I printed them out so that I had the information when I talked to the breeder. I know there are no guarantees, but it certainly helped ease my mind. Thank you, this is why I just love pets.ca:thumbs up!

CyberKitten
April 12th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Lucy is cute and I am so sorry to hear of the trouble she has been through - some people are just horrible and this poor fur baby has had to bear the brunt of it. I am sure you will do just just fine with her - you are starting out the right way. Have you read all the various article son proper introductions? That to me has always been key and it NEVER fails.

Good luck to Lucy and you!! And your family, including your other fellow!

kalola
April 12th, 2008, 05:13 PM
I am excited for you and I'll just betcha Lucy will love her new home and she and Tommy will be friends forever!
Congrats. BTW Lucy is too cute!

Tommysmom
April 12th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Thank you, thank you for all the congrats and good wishes and crossed fingers!!

Yep, I've been looking into all the introduction stuff. I think we're pretty good too because they actually met last week out on a nice long walk in the country - neutral ground, and they spent a couple of hours together there. I've told hubby too that when he brings her here on Tuesday (the ONLY day I couldn't get off work!!) to make sure he takes her for a nice long walk right after coming out of the car, so she can burn off any nervous/pent up energy from the drive... the calmer they are, the better they'll be. I've got the rest of the week off, I took some vacation days so I can spend the time with both of them and see how it goes (I had to work today to do that, blechhhhhhhhhh! LOL). So they'll be with hubby on Tuesday, and I'm off Wednesday through Sunday to supervise.

The breeder is completely available for any issues/problems that might arise, and I've got the number for our old trainer that we used for Tommy handy, too. He's a busy trainer, but he lives about 5 minutes away from us and he was great in public, group and private lessons for us with Tommy so I'm sure he'll be able to help us out if we need it. I'm sure I'm worrying more than I need to, but we've already talked about bringing in the trainer if things go poorly rather than just giving up... we really WANT this to work:fingerscr.

I'm still getting the 'but what are you going to do if you get pregnant:eek:' from some people. My gosh, 2 dogs and a baby - how ever will I cope:rolleyes:.

hazelrunpack
April 12th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Yep....two dogs and a baby...my gosh! Impossible!! :p

he he Don't you just love people who give you no credit? :rolleyes: *sigh*

However, if you end up with 16 jacks, hazel would like to come visit with the video camera... :laughing:

:goodvibes: for an effortless Tuesday!!

14+kitties
April 12th, 2008, 09:13 PM
:goodvibes: for Tuesday Tommy'smom. Sounds like you have done all of the homework you can possibly do before adding another fourlegger to the mix.
For the naysayers who think you can't handle a couple of little dogs and a baby......add a few kitties too. :D (I have some extra)

growler~GateKeeper
April 13th, 2008, 12:41 AM
I totally missed this one :o

Congrats Tommysmom :highfive: Lucy is a cutie :lovestruck: She & Tommy will be just fine together :thumbs up

luckypenny
April 13th, 2008, 06:32 AM
I totally missed this one :o

As did I :o .

Congratulations!!! :fingerscr and :goodvibes: that her transition to her new loving home is as smooth as can be.

chico2
April 13th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Oh Tommysmom,how exciting,Lucy is one very lucky girl:thumbs up
I know you'll do everything possible to make sure it works out,after all the trouble you had with Tommy and look at him now:thumbs up
Can't wait to see how it goes,hopefully Lucy will realize,she's in the best home ever:dog:

Tommysmom
April 15th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Here's the new little gal... the blur at the end of her body is her tail, which hasn't stopped wagging in hours:lovestruck:. She was pretty terrified at first, but she's settling down, and she's quite the cuddlebunny! Tommy is a bit miffed at us, a bit scared, and a bit curious... but so far no real issues. We've had a couple of growlies when somebody gets too close to somebody else's food dish, if we can't resolve that then we'll have to feed Lucy in her crate or something, but that's about the only thing I've noticed. Well, that and the incessant marking! Lucy piddles EVERYWHERE - but she was in heat when she was spayed last week, and now she's in a different home, so I'm sure it's going to get better (or else she'll run out of places that aren't marked already!).

hazelrunpack
April 15th, 2008, 09:39 PM
She looks pretty happy to be there! :dog: And Tommy doesn't look too put out--he hasn't lost his focus on the treat anyway. LOL

:fingerscr that Lucy remembers her house-training soon and the piddling stops once she settles in.

Those two sure are cute together! :D

14+kitties
April 15th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Good luck with Tommy and Lucy. I am sure in a few days it will feel like she has been there forever!! :thumbs up

growler~GateKeeper
April 16th, 2008, 01:02 AM
Lucy & Tommy are cute together :cloud9:

:goodvibes: for everyone settling down soon :goodvibes:

clm
April 16th, 2008, 05:28 AM
I'm sure Tommy won't have his nose out of joint for long. I bet he's going to enjoy having Lucy there. They do look really cute together.

Cindy

chico2
April 16th, 2008, 06:43 AM
Aww Tommy and his beard,he looks like a little old man:laughing:so cute:lovestruck:
Lucy looks to be in great shape:fingerscrthe piddling will stop,once she gets used to Tommy and her new loving owners.
I am sure you'll have lots of fun with these 2,talk about energy:laughing:

Frenchy
April 16th, 2008, 11:35 AM
ahhh here she is !!!! woohoo ! You go Lucy !

but only one picture ? :confused: :cool:

I would feed them in separated rooms :thumbs up

Tommysmom
April 16th, 2008, 11:53 AM
I'll get more pictures when she stops moving for more than a millisecond, LOL - she gets a bit freaked out by the flash.

The food thing is going to have to be worked out... Tommy doesn't eat all his food, he nibbles through the day and we can't really change that (we've tried!) because of his pukey-ness... Lucy, on the other hand, gobbles a half cup of food in about 2 seconds! We'll see how it goes, maybe Tommy will start eating more quickly if he sees another doggy doing it? Right now we've got them at opposite ends of a very, very long hallway, and a quick 'eh!' stops her from gobbling his food, I pick up her dish when she's done so she can't get upset when he goes near it.

I don't want to make too many changes for Tommy until he settles down a bit, he's very upset right now and has to learn to deal with it. I know he's stressed and anxious, but we have to let him get over it (he HAS to to get over it eventually, right??????).:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Frenchy
April 16th, 2008, 12:04 PM
I'll get more pictures

I wasn't pressuring you or anything :rolleyes:

:laughing:

mastifflover
April 16th, 2008, 12:30 PM
How cute she looks to be settling in. I am sure in a few days things will settle and they will become best buds.

rainbow
April 16th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Well, it's good that you can give them treats side by side. :D

I'm sure Tommy will settle down once he realizes Lucy is there to stay. :goodvibes: The hardest thing is going to be keeping her away from his food dish since he's a nibbler. :o

Love4himies
April 16th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Come back to me once you have 3-4 , 80-100 lbs dogs following you everytime you go to the bathroom :laughing:

:

:eek: hope do you have a large bathroom, frenchy. I can just imagine all their tails going at once :laughing: What a way to clean off your vanity!

Lucy is lucky to have found you, tommysmom, hope it works out :fingerscr

ancientgirl
April 17th, 2008, 08:06 AM
She's certainly a cutie, and her and Tommy looks so adorable together. I really hope things work out.:pray: