Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Another housebreaking question?

kalola
April 11th, 2008, 06:36 PM
I am sure this questioned has been asked but I need some advice.
My two, 9 month old shelties are not housebroken yet.:sad::o:wall:
For the last few months I have been taking them outside (One at a time), first thing in the morning and have had no luck!:wall::wall:
I know patience is a must and I have stood and waited and waited and did I mention waited? :wall:for over an hour! I take them back into the house and wham pee and poop on the newspaper.:wall: I even tried taking the newspaper outside in hopes that they would catch on. NOPE!
Anyone have a different approach?

Melinda
April 11th, 2008, 07:19 PM
instead of standing, walk around your yard...motion makes them have to go, another thing you could try, (sounds yucky) when you clean up their "accident" in the house, take it outside and place it where you'd like them to go, when you take them outside , walk them to that area and let them sniff it...

another way is to get to know the signs when they are about to go, this is made easier if you tie them to you in the house, I've only done it with one and never with two at a time, not sure how you'd do that.....

Reality
April 11th, 2008, 07:53 PM
I agree with Melinda. I have yet to take my dog for a brisk,, brisk is important ,, that he has not had to go. I also agree that taking the little presents left inside outside is a good idea.

The only other thing I can suggest that is a little different than Melinda's advice is if the dog does not go while outside, don't let him roam around the house freely. Put him in his kennel ( not much bigger than him so he can't go in there) and than take him back out in an hour again.

Good luck kalola, you have been very patient if those guys are 9 months.

Longblades
April 12th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Something else to try is feeding and watering them where they have soiled in the house. Most won't want to eat and eliminate in the same place. I'd try cleaning the soiled spot as usual then putting the food and water bowls there. If that doesn't have an effect after a week then I'd try leaving the soiled spot a little bit dirty and putting the bowls down. You can also put their beds there and some of their favourite toys.