Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

2 dogs, 1 won't eat

ljabc
April 11th, 2008, 05:26 PM
I have 2 Geman Sherpherds, 1 nine year old and a 2 year old. The 2 year old will not eat. It seems like to older dog (they get along well in all other areas) has intimidated him into not eating. Even with her outside the house and him in, he will onyl eat ehn hand-fed. If he's around a food dish (I've tried idfferent dishes too) his ears go back and he gets a really guilty look on his face. I've been hand feeding him for 4 days now. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.
Thanks!!

Frenchy
April 11th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Always feed him in a calm place , another room where he can be alone and at peace ? Praise him when he eats , might help too. :fingerscr

MOOSEDRY
April 11th, 2008, 09:23 PM
great suggestion, frenchy. i agree... sometimes when you get picky eaters you really have to calm them. and: here, here, on the praising. i find talking praise to them in a smooth, almost coo-ing sort of tone works well when trying to coax them to eat.

good luck - let us know how you are doing!

tracy :)

luckypenny
April 11th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Is this usual behavior or more recent ljabc?

rainbow
April 11th, 2008, 11:38 PM
If this behaviour has just recently started, I would take the 2 yr. old to your vet for a check-up. :pawprint:

mastifflover
April 12th, 2008, 07:05 AM
I agree with Rainbow rule out a health issue first. Then go with Frenchy's suggestion to feed in a separate room and stay with him and reassure him keep the other dog away from the room so there is no pressure on him from her even being close to him. Females will run the pack even if it is 10 males to 1 female. And once again women really run the world, we have such a tough job.

chico2
April 12th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Although my Chico is a cat,for him to relax and eat,he has to be cuddled talked to and feel safe from my other cats(imaginary threat:cat:)then he will eat.
I usually stay beside him while he's eating with some calming talk and it works.

Frenchy
April 12th, 2008, 02:52 PM
And once again women really run the world, we have such a tough job.

:laughing: :thumbs up

bendyfoot
April 14th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Our german shepherd went from gorging her food as a puppy to having no interest in eating at all once she got close to a year old. Two tricks have worked for us. Put some nice warm, almost hot water in the food bowl with the kibble, and let it sit for a minute or two...the food gets warm, mushy, and covered in "gravy". She'll also eat her kibble if we put a raw egg in there with it. I love the water trick though, she LOVES the food that way, and it doesn't cost a penny :-)