Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

WARNING Dog Walkers - Hunting Season

Longblades
April 11th, 2008, 02:11 PM
http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR/pubs/pubmenu.html

Just encountered several turkeys on our walk and thought I would alert those who might not have thought of it yet, that turkey season will be starting soon. The link is to the regulations for Ontario (covers Spring 2008 though it doesn't say so in the title) but I strongly urge everyone who takes their dog out to bush areas to check what the regulations are for where they live/walk.

I have discovered that many people, dog owners, hikers, bicyclers, what have you, are very naive when it comes to knowing who is sharing their space with them. And hunters have guns, or bows and arrows. Last year very, very near me one turkey hunter with a shotgun shot his friend, who was using a bow, in the face. Two years ago a walker was shot and killed.

If you are in Ontario be aware that it is legal for hunters to shoot across foot trails. Even the Trans Canada Trail. It is not legal to shoot across a roadway that receives vehicular traffic. Vehicular traffic does not include ATVs. And of course you should be alert even in supposedly protected places like some Provincial Parks where the number of shell casings I find is testament to the fact that hunting does indeed occur even in those parks that restrict hunting.

I wear a blaze orange vest and this year I'm going to get one for the dog too.
An argument I frequently hear is that the number of people killed by hunters each year is small compared to the number killed by drunk drivers. But if a small thing like wearing a blaze orange vest gives you a little extra protection why not wear it? If you know the facts and still choose not to wear one, well, at least you have made an informed decision. That's all I propose; know the facts of hunting in your area and decide what you are going to do.

luckypenny
April 11th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the post Longblades. As a suburb dweller, it's not something I would have thought of when taking the dogs to the country.

An argument I frequently hear is that the number of people killed by hunters each year is small compared to the number killed by drunk drivers.

In either case, one fatality is one too many :2cents: .

Jim Hall
April 11th, 2008, 03:37 PM
wear orancge and make a lot of noise