Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Last blast for sledding on snow this season

Gail P
April 11th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Took the dogs for a couple of beautiful runs on Sunday morning and Monday evening. April 6th and 7th, who would ever have thought :thumbs up They were the most amazing runs all season. The rail trail near us is used exclusively by snowmobiles all winter, but their season ends as of April 1st and it's closed to all motorized traffic for a couple of months so it doesn't get torn up during the wet season. With the late thaw this year that gave us a chance to run dogs on that trail and both days we went for about a 3 mile run up to a set of falls and rapids, where we took a break and had a little picnic before doing the return trip.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/2008_0407PICS0093.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/2008_0407PICS0079.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/2008_0407PICS0078.jpg

Gail P
April 11th, 2008, 10:56 AM
A few more

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/2008_0407PICS0005.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/2008_0407PICS0059.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/2008_0407PICS0064.jpg

luckypenny
April 11th, 2008, 03:34 PM
:thumbs up Great photos!

I think it's amazing you and your daughter can enjoy sledding together with your dogs. She looks like she's having a ball. Lucky girl!

Gail P
April 11th, 2008, 07:35 PM
:thumbs up Great photos!

I think it's amazing you and your daughter can enjoy sledding together with your dogs. She looks like she's having a ball. Lucky girl!

You know up until a few weeks ago she didn't even enjoy cross country skiing. All she had been using were strap on plastic skis and she just didn't like it. Then I told her she could try mine (she might as well - I don't use them :rolleyes: but that's another story). She found they glide so much easier and she's loving it. I thought that going the 3 miles up to the falls I'd have to be stopping to wait for her but that fat little sausage on legs (Flash), he kept up with the other dogs and even stayed in front of us quite a bit of the time. And I was amazed at how well she's doing on the skis. She took a few falls but got right back up and kept on trucking. The two trips up and back gave us a total of 12 miles in the 2 days. Flash is a funny boy,he pulls hard enough that she doesn't even have to ski, she was just poling the whole way, and yet he will not sled. He must think it's going to eat him or something because he would rather sit down and be dragged or try to back out of his harness than pull a sled. We tried him a few times last year then stopped, but after noticing how well he eagerly stays out in front on a leash we decided to try skijoring with him and he's fine with that. Luckily. It's a great way to exercise sausage boy :D That and letting him run along loose when I'm training on my own trail at home. He'll stay in front and lead the way around the trails and it makes the other dogs pull harder following him. He'll even fall into place as if he were part of the team, but don't dare hook him up there or he quits. Funny boy :crazy:

Frenchy
April 11th, 2008, 10:32 PM
That looks soooo cool ! :thumbs up

rainbow
April 12th, 2008, 12:00 AM
Awesome :thumbs up .....you are sooo lucky. :cloud9:

otter
April 12th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Oh, I feel so bad complaining about all this late season snow we've had... it's just perfect for sledding :thumbs up
You've got an amazing bunch of dogs there :highfive:

I hope you got the snow we did this past week (I think you must have) - so those puppers and you can keep having so much fun :cloud9:

growler~GateKeeper
April 12th, 2008, 02:19 AM
Fun time had by all :thumbs up

I assume you've tried Flash as lead dog and also as a single (without other dogs) pulling a light sled? He sounds like a bit of a loner :pawprint:

:cloud9:

allymack
April 12th, 2008, 10:49 AM
ooo, your so lucky, your daughter looks like she is having a blast! we dont have too many places around here that you can do things like that.

Spatx
April 12th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Wow, that looks like so much fun! Going sledding has been something I've always wanted to try since I was young. I haven't had the chance yet, but maybe in the future there will always be. It wasn't until lately that I heard about dogs other than northern breeds going out sledding, and I was pretty amazed at how much other dogs enjoy it too! I bet my Aussie would love to pull me along, considering he already does on his walks :rolleyes: :laughing:

Gail P
April 12th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Oh, I feel so bad complaining about all this late season snow we've had... it's just perfect for sledding :thumbs up
You've got an amazing bunch of dogs there :highfive:

I hope you got the snow we did this past week (I think you must have) - so those puppers and you can keep having so much fun :cloud9:

Nope, we got rain the last couple of days. The last trip out on snow was on Monday evening and then I switched to wheels for a run on Thursday. I had an email from my sister in Thunder Bay just yesterday and she was telling me about the fresh snow. I'm a little jealous.

Fun time had by all :thumbs up

I assume you've tried Flash as lead dog and also as a single (without other dogs) pulling a light sled? He sounds like a bit of a loner :pawprint:

:cloud9:

I've tried him every which way you can imagine. I can sometimes get him to go for a little bit but he's very inconsistent, so it makes it hard for the other dogs, plus if I put a neckline on him that's it, he will sit right down and refuse to move. Without the neckline he will sometimes drift off to the side and then stop and try to duck out of his harness. It's easier to just let him run along or skijor than to try to make him work on the sled. Plus, he'll never be a racing dog for us he is very timid in certain situations and would be completely overwhelmed by the whole race setting and he despises traveling in vehicles anyways.

Wow, that looks like so much fun! Going sledding has been something I've always wanted to try since I was young. I haven't had the chance yet, but maybe in the future there will always be. It wasn't until lately that I heard about dogs other than northern breeds going out sledding, and I was pretty amazed at how much other dogs enjoy it too! I bet my Aussie would love to pull me along, considering he already does on his walks :rolleyes: :laughing:

I've seen aussies doing kid & mutt races, and all kinds of breeds skijoring. Plus many of the racing dogs are mixed breeds and alaskan huskies (a husky mix) as opposed to siberians. We got started by having our old great dane pull our daughter on her GT snowracer, and a few times on a borrowed dogsled before we had our own. Her first kid & mutt race was with our collie Noah.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/PONGODOGSLED.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/Mush_Noah.jpg

Sylvie28
April 12th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Thank you so much for sharing you beautifull stories and pictures, I needed that, my dog Roo, past away last night.

Gail P
April 12th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Thank you so much for sharing you beautifull stories and pictures, I needed that, my dog Roo, past away last night.

Awww, very sorry to hear that. RIP Roo. :rip:

Spatx - I just remembered. Earlier this winter I had a friend's aussie hooked up with my guys and he did really well. She was doing some skijoring with him, taking it pretty slow and then we put him on the sled. He had a different running style than my guys though, very up-and-down and bouncy whereas mine run more flat. Come to think of it, he'd probably match up nicely with Noah, he's pretty bouncy too and I don't run him with the other dogs, he doesn't have the same speed or stamina. He gets to run along loose for exercise though when we train at home.

Sylvie28
April 12th, 2008, 01:02 PM
[QUOTE=Gail P;578934]Awww, very sorry to hear that. RIP Roo. :rip:

Thank you Gail and thank God for pets.ca, It really help me to go through what I went through.