Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

U.S. widow sues, says sick pet caused death

jessi76
April 11th, 2008, 08:56 AM
U.S. widow sues Petsmart, says sick pet caused death
Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:38pm EDT

BOSTON (Reuters) - A widow is suing Petsmart Inc, saying that her husband died after a liver transplant that was contaminated by a sick hamster sold by the largest U.S. specialty pet retailer to the organ donor.

The suit, filed in Massachusetts Superior Court in February, seeking unspecified damages, moved up to U.S. District Court in Boston this week.

In papers filed in the state court, Nancy Magee charged that a Petsmart in Warwick, Rhode Island in March 2005 sold a hamster infected with lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus, or LCMV, to a woman not named in the suit.

That woman later died of stroke and her liver was implanted in Magee's husband, Thomas, in April 2005. A month later, Thomas Magee died of LCMV.

Two other people who received organs from this woman died and one became seriously ill, the suit says, noting that medical authorities later tracked down the hamster in question and found it to be infected with LCMV.

Petsmart spokeswoman Jessica Douglas said the Phoenix, Arizona-based company does not comment on pending litigation.

(Reporting by Scott Malone, editing by Richard Chang)

Reuters 2008 All rights reserved

ancientgirl
April 11th, 2008, 09:30 AM
I have officially just heard it all.

Love4himies
April 11th, 2008, 09:51 AM
I would think the administration that allowed the infected liver to be sued. However, on the flip side, time is of the essence in transplants and I am sure if the hospital had to check for every virus, many organs would not be any good. Is it a risk that organ receivers have to take?

onster
April 11th, 2008, 09:03 PM
wow is there anything u cant sue for?

ancientgirl
April 11th, 2008, 09:07 PM
You're not kidding Onster. I expect soon to hear about someone suing their mother for giving birth to them, and siting post traumatic stress!

onster
April 11th, 2008, 09:12 PM
LOL

u know I wouldnt be surpised!!!!!!

Its absolutely ridiculous with lawyers that take on these cases too i mean, have they no respect for their profession?!?!?!

ancientgirl
April 14th, 2008, 12:58 PM
They only respect one thing, and that's $$$$$. :frustrated:

badger
April 14th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Perfect timing though, virus-phobia being what it is. The fact that the case wasn't thrown out of court as frivolous is interesting.

ancientgirl
April 14th, 2008, 02:02 PM
You also have to wonder how something like that will affect animals from getting adopted if that case gets more notice. It's hard enough getting people to adopt pets, but if they think they're going to get some disease that will kill them, it'll be nearly impossible.:sad:

joeysmama
April 14th, 2008, 02:07 PM
I just read something recently about organ recipients developing cancer that hadn't been diagnosed in the donors. It's very sad but I think it is a risk that's inherent in the process.:shrug: The same way that blood is screened but there's always that needle in a haystack chance that there's something there that didn't show up. When you have no other options and your life is at stake you have to roll the dice I think.