Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Off leash in non-off-leash areas

Kashi
April 11th, 2008, 07:20 AM
This has always been a peeve of mine - seeing dogs unleashed in public, especially where there is specific signage (beyond the typical city bylaw requiring leashing) stating that pets must be ON LEASH.

But even more so now that we have a dog of our own.

I can't go to the playground behind my house with my kids without an unleashed dog coming up to them. Scares the bejiggers out of my two younger kids if dogs come up to them !

And it's really difficult to keep Pugsley (ON LEASH !) from choking himself as he tries to run after the loose dogs. Plus it hurts my shoulder and arm to restrain him.

:wall: :wall: :wall:

Take one evening this week. It was a nice night, so the whole family (myself, hubby, 3 kids, and Pugs) went over to the little play ground near our house for a while.

We spend a bit tossing a toy around with Pugs, he's on a 26' retractable leash, and happy as anything running around chasing his toy. The kids are happy playing on the playground. It's a nice time for all of us.

Then in comes some guy with his dogs - on leash - the dogs sniff each other and play a bit - then off the leashes her dogs go.

What does Pugs do but try to run after them. He's going right batty after one in particular. Turns out it's a young bitch - IN HEAT ! Off leash in public.

:wall: :wall:

WHY oh WHY do people do this ??
Why do they think that the laws do NOT pertain to their dogs ?
City bylaw says leash.
Park sign says leash.

Is it really that difficult ??

Another example - last weekend - we were fixing the fence in our backyard, so had Pugs on his tie-out so he didn't escape (actually, even with the fence fixed, he's on his tie-out if we aren't outside with him). We're all busy, then Pugs starts barking like none other. Next moment, there's a little mini dashund (sp?) at my feet ! It was off leash in the park behind our place, and must have scented Pugs and come to investigate. Right through the hedge and the space where we'd ripped out the old fence.

Yep - I'm peeved.

Love4himies
April 11th, 2008, 08:31 AM
I hear you! We had beautiful trails in St Albert AB that we like to walk and bike on, dogs were supposed to be leashed, but some people allowed their dogs to run free. One time I had a rottie run after me while I was on my bike and bite at my feet! I was terrified, and the owners laughed!!!!

luckypenny
April 11th, 2008, 08:48 AM
:frustrated: I can so relate! We live right next door to a park where large signs are posted by the two entrances 'NO DOGS'. And every morning between 7 & 8:30 I can count at least 6 ppl who take their dogs for a run off-leash. 3 never pick up after their dogs and these are the 3 that let their dogs wander over to my fence (2 of which are un-neutered adults) while mine are going completely loco in the yard :mad:. I've called the police on several occasions to make a complaint. Here are some of the answers I get, "Where's that? Can you give directions?" :rolleyes: "Just call us when you see them and we'll send a car over (by the time a patrol car gets here, they've already gone)." "Sorry, all our cars are already on calls." What's the point of having these bylaws if there's no one to enforce them :wall: ?

Seeing I'm getting nowhere with making complaints, I try to use it as opportunities to train my dogs to focus on me rather than go nuts at the fence. However, it's pretty sad that I can't even enjoy our own yard with all three of the dogs at the same time in the mornings :shrug:.

mastifflover
April 11th, 2008, 08:52 AM
One time I had a rottie run after me while I was on my bike and bite at my feet! I was terrified, and the owners laughed!!!!

That is not funny and the owners are ignorant for thinking it is funny. On leash means exactly that. This is obviously an ongoing problem you need to contact animal control and have them start issuing warnings and tickets. On leash means all dogs big and small. Police will not help they have more important issues this is an Animal Control problem

Kashi
April 11th, 2008, 08:52 AM
What's the point of having these bylaws if there's no one to enforce them :wall: ?

This is my thought EXACTLY !!

Kashi
April 11th, 2008, 08:55 AM
This is obviously an ongoing problem you need to contact animal control and have them start issuing warnings and tickets.

Great idea - now how do you propose we get them to do that ?

Call ANYONE - animal control, police, by-law officer - and IF they come out, the people are either gone already, or put the animal on leash while the officer is there, and turn around and let the dog off leash again as soon as the officer is gone.

mastifflover
April 11th, 2008, 08:56 AM
If this happens at the same times of the day ask if they can post an AC Officer in the park for a few days. Maybe the officer could not be in the park but watching from across the street

luckypenny
April 11th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Police will not help they have more important issues this is an Animal Control problem

Unfortunately, in our city, it's the police responsible for enforcing by-laws. Animal control only picks up strays (more often asking the caller to bring the dog in :rolleyes:) and picking up carcasses from roadsides :shrug: .

Kashi
April 11th, 2008, 09:06 AM
The only time I've spoken to our local Animal Control, it was a call about a large dog roaming around - no collar visible. Dog was growling and bristling, but I was told that there was nothing they could do unless there was an "attack IN progress" at the moment I called. :wall:

mastifflover
April 11th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Wow that is unbelievable they would say that. I am sorry I have been very lucky with AC they come out whenever we call them. I used to have a problem with a JRT that was constantly off leash and used to attack the big dogs, I called AC and explained the situation and they came out for a few days in a row sat across the street and watched, They did issue tickets to the off leash dogs and pop by every so often to check. Where are you located in the city?

SnowDancer
April 11th, 2008, 11:42 AM
This is also my major problem - the park is right across the street - BIG signs indicate it is not off-leash but the park is crawling with dogs off-leash - and yes, the police and animal control are always passing by but no one does anything. One of the very big dogs has almost killed 2 other dogs - and made a couple of runs after my little boy-toy. We never go into that park, but I can't get out of the house to the street without said dogs seeing us - and my guy is a little barking fool which doesn't help. My Eskie is never off-leash - recall would be zip - just as recall was when we had our darling mini-Dachshunds (major prey drive and just too many squirrels). Now as to the Dachshund approaching you, that little angel should never have been off leash - way to small, way to inquisitive - and heck even if he/she lived with a fenced yard, it is a very easy matter to dig yourself out. Have seen that happen as I saw with my previous guys, tethered to a spike, wearing harnesses. Maybe your pup and the Dachshund could be friends!

Longblades
April 16th, 2008, 12:26 PM
For Love4Himies - We've had good success with ultra-sonic dog deterrant devices when we bicycle. It hurts their ears and they shake their heads and back off. I believe they produce a high pitched sound that is offensive, not actually injurious. Like fingernails on the blackboard to us.

aslan
April 16th, 2008, 12:37 PM
When Quinc was about 6 mths old we had both dogs at a park. This huge husky came bounding out of no where right at quincy. Owner is way far off. The dogs hackles were up and he was being really agressive. Now Quincy at the best of times is a wuss. Grace picked Bailley up, and i grabbed the other dog by the collar. When the owner gets close enough, i yell at him if his dog touches mine, its him i'm gonna take it out on. The moron says oh my dog isn't aggressive. ummm duh...

Love4himies
April 16th, 2008, 12:55 PM
When Quinc was about 6 mths old we had both dogs at a park. This huge husky came bounding out of no where right at quincy. Owner is way far off. The dogs hackles were up and he was being really agressive. Now Quincy at the best of times is a wuss. Grace picked Bailley up, and i grabbed the other dog by the collar. When the owner gets close enough, i yell at him if his dog touches mine, its him i'm gonna take it out on. The moron says oh my dog isn't aggressive. ummm duh...

Boy, is this guy in denial :wall: Wonder what it is going to take before he wakes up.

aslan
April 16th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Boy, is this guy in denial :wall: Wonder what it is going to take before he wakes up.

Unfortunately his dog attacking another dog.

Worse, where i used to live we had a school yard across the road and a little old lady used to walk her little poodle every morning. One morning she's out there and out of no where a pitbull (no offense to the breed) came flying across the feild after the poodle. the poor old girl yanks the leash over her head swinging it. poor poodle is flying through the air with this big brute jumping at it. My roommate got up and opened the door, we had a wolf/sheppardx. Needless to say, big fight, no more mean dog.

cockermother
April 16th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Oh yeah, I totally hear all this, too...

My biggest problem is that Flappy is a big soppy, except with *certain* dogs. Once a month or so, maybe one in a hundred dogs that he meets, there will be snapping and snarling. Leashed, no problem. My dog gets yanked back, the other owner yanks their leash, and the dogs are separated. Every so often, however, an unleased dog will run up to him and be aggressive, and poor Flappy will end up twisting and turning on his leash, unable to dart away, and basically relying on me to take the other, completely free, dog away from him. I do my best to see the signs but at the very moment of agression, he's going to have his movements restricted.

I pretty much believe that these owners don't take their dogs to a dog park that's off leash because they're aggressive towards other dogs (and in our park, an aggressive dog's owner will be chewed out and asked to leave by the other owners). Or because they're too lazy to walk the dog properly so "letting it run" is a way out of that responsibility.

Sigh.