Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Message from a Mp re: Seal Hunt

Shaykeija
April 10th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Reeived this message from my MP.. What a load of crap...:frustrated::frustrated::frustrated:

Thank you for your letter of recent email regarding the commercial seal hunt.

Canada's sealing industry is tightly regulated to be sustainable, humane and commercially viable and to protect the traditional way of life for people in Canada's coastal communities. It is a time-honoured tradition and an important industry for thousands of Canadians throughout the North, Atlantic Canada and Quebec. Seals have been harvested for food, fuel, shelter and other materials for hundreds of years and the subsistence hunt is a valuable link to Canadian cultural heritage.

The Liberal Party supports a regulated, sustainable seal hunt and Liberal governments have worked hard to ensure the hunt is conducted in a safe and humane manner.

I would like to take the liberty of clarifying two common misconceptions surrounding the seal hunt. First, the image of the whitecoat harp seal is used prominently by seal hunt opponents. This image gives the false impression that vulnerable seal pups are targeted by sealers during the commercial hunt. In fact, the hunting of harp seal pups (whitecoats) and hooded seal pups (bluebacks) has been strictly illegal since 1987. Marine Mammal Regulations prohibit the trade, sale or barter of the fur of these pups. Furthermore, seals cannot be harvested when they are in breeding or birthing grounds.

Second, it was the Canadian Veterinary Medical Association (CVMA) who indicated in 2002 that hakapiks, the tools used to hunt seals, are an efficient instrument that "is at least as humane as, and often more humane than, the killing methods used in commercial slaughterhouses, which are accepted by the vast majority of the public."

Regarding the issue of minimum observation distance, the Standing Committee on Fisheries and Oceans undertook a study of the Canadian seal harvest in late 2006-early 2007. They released their unanimously supported report in April 2007. Here is the link should you be interested in reading the report in full:

http://cmte.parl.gc.ca/cmte/CommitteePublication.aspx?COM=10480&Lang=1&SourceId=206172 <http://cmte.parl.gc.ca/cmte/CommitteePublication.aspx?COM=10480&Lang=1&SourceId=206172>

The all-party committee heard from several witnesses who are involved in various aspects of the industry. They concluded that:

"In the Committee's view, the buffer zone should be increased to maximize everyone's safety and to ensure order in the harvest. This could be done without sacrificing the quality of the observation. An observer equipped with modern binoculars would have little difficulty observing harvesting activities at a distance of 100 metres. An exception could be made for licensed qualified veterinarians. The Committee also strongly believes that for observers to be safe in areas where rifles are used, the buffer zone should be at least 400 metres."

I would also like to note that a February 2005 Ipsos-Reid poll concluded that 60 per cent of Canadians are in favour of a responsible seal hunt.

Thank you for taking the time to share your views on this important issue.

Sincerely,

Diane Marleau, P.C., M.P.
Sudbury

badger
April 10th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Probably a handout from the PMO. I don't believe the half of this. I'd like to know how closely hunters are supervised, for one. And where are the markets? At one time, Europe banned all seal imports; does anyone know if that's still the case?

Love4himies
April 11th, 2008, 07:40 AM
I would like to know who the 60% of CDN's in favour of the hunt. Nobody I talked to is.

chico2
April 11th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Badger,the markets are China(of course:evil:)Russia and Norway as far as I know.:sad:
The annual harp-seal hunt in the Northern Gulf of St Lawrence starts today.
There is a pic in the Star today of 10 sealing boats on their way.
They are allowed to butcher 275.000 helpless seals,makes me sick:yell:

Love4himies
April 11th, 2008, 08:41 AM
They are allowed to butcher 275.000 helpless seals,makes me sick:yell:

OMG, that is just crazy. :rip: baby seals :cry:

ancientgirl
April 11th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Furthermore, seals cannot be harvested when they are in breeding or birthing grounds.

Harvest? They act like they're corn or something!

Canada's sealing industry is tightly regulated to be sustainable, humane and commercially viable and to protect the traditional way of life for people in Canada's coastal communities.

What's humane about clubbing a defenseless animal to death?

What will they do when they've hunted these poor animals to extinction? What are they going to kill next?

Love4himies
April 11th, 2008, 10:01 AM
I missed the traditional way of life for coastal communities. Does that mean they are not expected to change as society's values change???? Does that apply to smoking at work, tolerating racism, hitting children for punishment, etc. etc. as we did 40 years ago? What a bunch of nonsense.

jealma
April 11th, 2008, 11:33 AM
I do not agree with seal hunting at all, but what I don't understand is why the clubbing? If they must hunt why do they not shot the seal like they do other hunting animals, bears, deer, ect. I understand they say it's for the purpose of the coat,, but I can't see where a bullet is going to effect the coat that much. I can't see us winning and putting an end to the hunt,, but if they must , I wish it could be done in a less violent fashion.

chico2
April 11th, 2008, 04:46 PM
L4H,yes,the traditions and cultural ways of doing things really gets to me:yell:
First I would never call the seal-slaughter a hunt,it's plain and simple butchery of totally defenseless animals and in the cruelest way.
Our government keep saying over and over again,it's a life line for the costal community,sure they make money,but in reality it's big business that make the real money.
It's a bloody,shameful,very sad business,I cannot wait for it to be over for this year and hope these poor animals did not suffer too much.:rip:

Love4himies
April 12th, 2008, 04:25 PM
It's a bloody,shameful,very sad business,I cannot wait for it to be over for this year and hope these poor animals did not suffer too much.:rip:

Me too, chico. :cry: