Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dirty cat ears?

Hazmat
April 10th, 2008, 05:56 PM
I am sort of embarrassed to ask since so many other people on this board have such urgent questions.

I have one of 3 cats that will not let me touch her head or ears. If I do touch her ears she backs away and shakes her head. I have been to the Vet with her twice in the last 6 months. The first time she was treated for ear mites. Second time was inconclusive but treated for mites again. My other two cats are fine.

I have tried an over the counter ear mite/wax treatment. Bio-groom ear mite treatment wax thing main ingredients are pyrethrins 0.15%, piperonyl 1.50%, inert stuff and aloe vera.

I have no idea how old she is. 8 months ago when I first brought her to see the Vet and get her spayed I thought that she was 4 to 6 months old but The Vet looked at her teeth and said that she is 2, 3 or even more years old. She was starving and hanging around outside and she let me pick her up. I brought her in. Vet said that she is just a small cat.

Now 8 months later and 2 Vet visits and otc treatments she still will still shake her head and back away if i try to rub her ears. Her ears still look dirty and waxy to me.

She appears to me to be in perfect health. She does not appear to have any hearing loss. I can wisper her name when she is asleep and from 30 feet away she will pop up her head and look at me.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Dr Lee
April 10th, 2008, 06:06 PM
While ear mite infections are commonly simple to treat there are a few things to think about.

1) Could she be re-infecting. From the sound of it, this seems unlikely to me, as your other cats are fine. They get re-infected from other infected cats. I would just check their ears just in case - some cats with ear infections will not shake their heads or ever let you know.

2) Some ear mite infections will turn into yeast or bacterial infections from the inflammation left behind from the mites. This requires additional medication. Your vet can easily determine this from follow up microscopic evaluation.

3) I have had a couple cases of recurrent ear infection or ear mites in a cat that actually had an ear polyp. Due to the all of the debris from the infection, I was unable to see the polyp until the ear was properly cleaned. Perhaps ask your vet if this is a possibility.

4) Finally, like dogs, some cats have underlying causes of recurrent otitis such as environmental allergies or food allergies.

Hope this helps. Good luck. :cat:

Hazmat
April 10th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Thank you for that very quick response.

I am pretty sure that the ear mite thing is over from like you said, my other cats are fine.

I will make another vet appointment immediately. Thanks.

Jim Hall
April 10th, 2008, 06:46 PM
cays ears are vey sensitive to temperature they regulate thier body temp through them make sure you hands are warm definitly let a pro clean them out good itl tick off kitty but will feel a lot better i fond a dilute solution of filtered water and green tea a liitle warm is soothing the trouble with aloe is that is will tend to get sticky
some cats are like that though they hate having thier ears touched

Love4himies
April 11th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Jasper, who can't tolerate any grains in his food, does get ear issues if he has any grains. He scratches at them and we can't touch them. When I first got him from the shelter I was feeding him grain filled food (due to my ignorance of good cat nutrition) and he developed dirty, itchy ears. I thought it was ear mites, but after vet examination on each ear, it was ruled out. Changed his food and he is much better now.

Hazmat
April 16th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Just an update:

Well I finally got her into the vet this morning. turned out to be some sort of fungal infection. Vet perscribed Mometamax ear drops.

She also has a possible bladder infection so is also on an antibiotic (Clavamox). The Vet said he could not be 100% sure of the bladder infection but did get some posative indications of one and that the antibiotic would help if there was also some sort of bacterial issue with the ears.

Unfortunatly the cat peed herself in the cat carrier on the way home from the Vet. Now I have an angry, pee soaked little cat locked in my bathroom :)