Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

SPCA Montreal - 6 new board members elected yesterday

marko
April 10th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Yesterday I attended a special SPCA meeting where 6 new members (all of the volunteers I believe) were elected to the board of directors (a non paying job) of the Montreal SPCA. I think this is an amazing thing and likely to start changing things for the better at the SPCA in Montreal.
MANY changes (like mandatory spay/neuter) are long overdue and I truly have faith in these new board members.

I blogged about it here if anyone is interested.
http://pets.ca/blog/?p=63

Thanks!
Marko

Love4himies
April 10th, 2008, 02:04 PM
That is good news, Marko. All shelters who do not have manditory spay/neuter are not actively trying to reduce the pet population.

CyberKitten
April 10th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Out of curiosity Marko, did you consider offering? You'd make an excellent member and representative! I know you are busy with this site and it provides an excellent service but you know how my "political mind" works, lol I hope these ppl will breathe new life into the association. I wish the same happens here too come to think of it. For the moment, I'll continue with Siamese Rescue and imom , the latter of which I am more of less someone who provides emergency medical help (financial, not professional! I am NOT a vet, tho you know I am wondering if it's possible to be a doctor and a vet, lol) (I prob do not have the time and I do not foresee the day my medical services will not be needed - wish I could say pediatric cancer will be eradicated but as you prob know from reading about our (pediatric oncologists' association reports et al) , we are curing more kids but they also face challenges we now have to care for.

Anyway - offtrack as usual, sorry!!

I hope you will thionk about serving on it at some point. You would be a great asset!

marko
April 10th, 2008, 02:20 PM
That is good news, Marko. All shelters who do not have manditory spay/neuter are not actively trying to reduce the pet population.
I agree with that statement but I would change the word from actively to effectively.

I think mandatory spay/neuter will be one of the very first things that this new board will try to implement. They suggested last night (with great applause from the members) that this change was one of the first things they are looking at.

Out of curiosity Marko, did you consider offering? You'd make an excellent member and representative! I know you are busy with this site and it provides an excellent service but you know how my "political mind" works, lol I hope these ppl will breathe new life into the association. I wish the same happens here too come to think of it. For the moment, I'll continue with Siamese Rescue and imom , the latter of which I am more of less someone who provides emergency medical help (financial, not professional! I am NOT a vet, tho you know I am wondering if it's possible to be a doctor and a vet, lol) (I prob do not have the time and I do not foresee the day my medical services will not be needed - wish I could say pediatric cancer will be eradicated but as you prob know from reading about our (pediatric oncologists' association reports et al) , we are curing more kids but they also face challenges we now have to care for.

Wow I really appreciate that CK!

At this point all I can commit is my 3 hours per week dogwalking - but maybe in the future it's something I might like to try. Future.
These days almost every waking minute is accounted for.

I must say though, I REALLY feel good about these new board members.....and I'm a pretty suspicious person by nature when it comes to people getting elected, politicians etc.

Love4himies
April 10th, 2008, 02:25 PM
I agree with that statement but I would change the word from actively to effectively.

I think mandatory spay/neuter will be one of the very first things that this new board will try to implement. They suggested last night (with great applause from the members) that this change was one of the first things they are looking at.

Your right, marko, I am an accountant and love numbers, words were never my strength;).