Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

No Laws

Reality
April 10th, 2008, 11:06 AM
I am a dog owner, but don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with being a cat owner I just happen to prefer dogs. Now, for my problem. There are laws that I must follow with regards to my dog. I can not let him run wild through the neighbour hood, He is to be leashed when I take him for a walk, even though he never leaves my side. Now, spring is here, my flowers are starting to come up and the neighbour hood cats seem to feel that the flower beds need to be turnned into a sand box. This has been a peve of mine for awhile. If my dog uranated on my neighbours expensive flower bed, I know she'd be calling the pet control in our town,( cause she has stated that my dog is never to be on her property) but her cats are allowed to roam free digging and watering my flower beds (my flower beds aren't too shabby either). I read earlier about someone not happy about having to pay for a licence for their cat. WHILE,,,, I"m not happy that the neighbour hood cats are allowed to destroy my flower beds. I have used that stuff around them to try to stop it,, although that doesn't seem quite right either cause their pets cost me and it doesn't even work. I feel like there is nothing I can do but be a victim to these cat vandals???????

happycats
April 10th, 2008, 11:25 AM
You should move to Ohawa, we have laws! Or canvas your MP to change yours to Oshawa's.

“ANIMAL” means any member of the animal kingdom of living beings, excluding
humans. Without limitation, “ANIMAL” shall include mammals, DOGS, CATS, birds,
and reptiles.

2.13 ANIMALS on MUNICIPAL PROPERTY: Subject to the provisions of section 2.14, it
shall constitute an offence for an OWNER to allow his or her ANIMAL to enter on
MUNICIPAL PROPERTY, unless the ANIMAL is RESTRAINED.
2.14 Exemption to section 2.13: Where one or more OFFICIAL SIGNS are posted, a
PERSON may permit an ANIMAL which is neither an ANIMAL upon which a
MUZZLING & CONTROL ORDER has been imposed nor an AGGRESSIVE ANIMAL
to be unleashed within this area, during the times stipulated by the OFFICIAL SIGNS,
provided the ANIMAL remains UNDER CONTROL. (10-99)
2.15 ANIMALS on Public Beaches: It shall constitute an offence for a PERSON to keep,
cause or allow an ANIMAL to be on a public beach.
2.16 Excrement on Property other than the ANIMAL OWNER’S: It shall constitute an
offence for the OWNER of an ANIMAL to fail to immediately remove excrement
deposited by the ANIMAL upon property, other than the OWNER’S property.
2.17 Failure to Register: It shall constitute an offence for any PERSON who OWNS a DOG
or CAT or FERRET that is required by Section 3 of the By-law to be registered, to fail to
register the DOG or CAT or FERRET in accordance with the provisions of this By-law.
(30-2003)
2.18 Change of Address: It shall constitute an offence for the OWNER of an ANIMAL, other
than an ANIMAL upon which a MUZZLING & CONTROL ORDER has been imposed,
to fail to notify the Animal Services Section of the CITY of any address change within
seven (7) days of such change occurring. (10-99)
2.19 OWNER of an ANIMAL upon which a MUZZLING & CONTROL ORDER has been
imposed ceasing to OWN/Change of Address: It shall constitute an offence for the
OWNER of an ANIMAL upon which a MUZZLING & CONTROL ORDER has been
imposed to transfer OWNERSHIP of an ANIMAL upon which a MUZZLING &
CONTROL ORDER has been imposed to a new OWNER, or to relocate his or her place
of residence without immediately notifying the Animal Services Section of the CITY.
(10-99)
2.20 False Tag Display: It shall constitute an offence for the OWNER of a DOG or CAT to
display a TAG upon an ANIMAL to which the TAG is not registered.

Love4himies
April 10th, 2008, 11:29 AM
I am a cat owner and I agree with you, reality. I DON'T allow my cats to roam to get into other people's gardens. It is just plain rude. Plus it is not responsible pet ownership to allow your pets to roam, too dangerous.

Love4himies
April 10th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Whoops, meant to add, I don't need a law to tell me not to allow my cat to roam free, just common sense, but I guess some people do. It is getting more and more socially unacceptable to do so, so hopefully that will reduce the amount of kitties doing their business in your garden. Know that doesn't help you now, though.

breeze
April 10th, 2008, 11:32 AM
We do have laws about cats roaming free in the west island. but in order for them to be inforsed you must have proof. (meaning pictures at the exact moment of the crime).. and it seems that some people just don't care about the laws....I too have tryed some things to prvect cats from digging up my garden.. the only thing that seems to work in cyanne pepper.. work great for squarells..

aslan
April 10th, 2008, 11:36 AM
i too have had to deal with the cats before. This is serious not a joke. Pee in a cup and go around dribbling it in your garden. it seriously keeps the cats away. you have to do it periodically so the scent doesn't fade.

happycats
April 10th, 2008, 11:45 AM
i too have had to deal with the cats before. This is serious not a joke. Pee in a cup and go around dribbling it in your garden. it seriously keeps the cats away. you have to do it periodically so the scent doesn't fade.

:laughing: sorry:o that's too funny!:D

I always water my gardens in the late afternoon, and have never ever had a problem with cats (and we have plenty roaming free in the neighbourhood)
cat's hate getting paws wet/muddy when going to the bathroom.

Chris21711
April 10th, 2008, 11:55 AM

That's what the Hubby does around the veggie patch aslan, it works a treat not even the bunnies touch it, they must think :yuck:

Reality
April 10th, 2008, 12:03 PM
I've never heard of the (pee) watering system before, I just might get that desperate. I can't say there is a certain time of day that they get in there. I would also like to say,, 100 cheers to the cat owners here who understood what I was saying and didn't go off in defence of this violation. It is nice to know that there are people like you that are responsible cat owners and don't feel the laws only apply to dogs.. I am very very impessed.

mmonroe
April 10th, 2008, 01:29 PM
I did not know that would work either, I too have a kitty problem in my garden. Lee Valley has a cat repeller as well. I don't know if anyone has tried that one?:shrug:

Love4himies
April 10th, 2008, 01:36 PM

:laughing::laughing: Oh Aslan, that is soooo funny. good idea you mentioned the peeing in a cup, otherwise we may see some people applying the pee directly from themselves

aslan
April 10th, 2008, 01:38 PM
it really does work, and my not so swift ex was all set to go out and piddle in the garden until i mentioned the cup. Should have kept my mouth shut and let her do it.

happycats
April 10th, 2008, 03:22 PM
I've never heard of the (pee) watering system before, I just might get that desperate. I can't say there is a certain time of day that they get in there. I would also like to say,, 100 cheers to the cat owners here who understood what I was saying and didn't go off in defence of this violation. It is nice to know that there are people like you that are responsible cat owners and don't feel the laws only apply to dogs.. I am very very impessed.

I had 6 cats! I have 4 now, and have never allowed them to "roam" some are leash trained to go out, and we built a cage off of the basement window so our cats could still get fresh air.
I don't believe in allowing cats to run free.....sooo many cons, and no pros.

I love dogs too:dog:

kara1
April 10th, 2008, 05:15 PM
hey my dad has used molases and sardines it gives them the runs pretty bad

katherine93
April 10th, 2008, 05:42 PM
My two cats are never allowed to roam free.. People should start realizing it is dangerous for the cats.. Just this morning i was taking the dogs for a walk and laying in the ditch on top of a snowbank was a dead cat(really a kitten she was only about 6 months old) And went and brought her to her owners house and they didnt really care that much..i almost cried just by stumbling upon her. The poor dear had gotten hit by a car and who ever did it just got out and flung her to the side instead of finding her owner..She may have been alive for God knows how long and was suffering in the ditch!

Jim Hall
April 10th, 2008, 07:14 PM

i assume you have seen which cats do this do you chase them when you see them ? and yes human pee does work a treat for almost all animals

jealma
April 10th, 2008, 07:34 PM
humm ok, here is a question about the fix.. Isn't this going to hurt my plants ? And what is my hubby going to think when I ask him to do this into a container for me.. lol.. he'll think I've lost my marbles. Cause I'm not peeing in any jar

deerclan
April 10th, 2008, 08:25 PM
here are some ideas i found on the net for your problem.

Plants that have a fragrant foliage. Cats hate pungent smells on themselves so spreading these plants around your borders would help to deter cats in that part of the garden.

Bottles of water scattered about the garden also discourages them, something to do with the electro-magnetic field that water gives off, perhaps it makes their whiskers tickle.

shovel up their mess and place it where you find the cats entering the garden they, like me cannot stand the stink of their own mess.

Placing cat statues amongst the shrubs can also deter some timid cats.
You can buy lion dung, that is a succesful pussy deterrent. Then there are a long list of chemical cat deterrents which you can purchase although it can get expensive.

Harley's_Mom
April 10th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Last summer I had an issue with a neighbour's cat doing it's business in my flower bed AND walking all over my brand new jeep!!! It really ticked me off cause my cat is never ever allowed out of the house. Totally unsafe because of cars and wildlife.

baberuth1ca
April 10th, 2008, 11:00 PM
I have 3 sweet kitties...and they all stay safely in the house. Only one will dare to venture outside on his harness and leash, but it leaves him a little frustrated when he tries to chase the dogs....ptoing!!! The yard is large and is fully fenced..so the dogs go bonkers. Don't worry..he gets revenge in the house, since he can jump the baby gates and they can't.

Anyhooo...this is one of those topics that keeps coming up with people in my work circle. Unless you're willing to have an all out shouting match with some of them..they just don't see that it's unsafe and irresponsible to let your cat wander the neighbourhood. You love them...the neighbours think they're a pain in the 'you know what'. The standard arguement is...but he/she wants to go outside..they love it and I can't keep him/her in. Grr...I feel like crying every time I see a poor cat lying by the side of the road..and know it could have been prevented.:wall: