Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

chronic sinusitis

etcapela
April 10th, 2008, 09:41 AM
I was searching for remedies/knowledge on this issue as my whippet has for the last few years developed chronic sinusitis or at least a runny nose with occasional coughing, nose bleeding etc.. I have him on antibiotics now almost constantly (we have tried them all) now cortisone too but we ar enot getting anywhere. He snores like an old man and sometimes cannot breath. We give him nasal drops (seawater) to keep his nasal passages clean but his life is becoming a misery. I wondered if anyone had tried a more holistic approach to this. I think he is allergic to damp as in the Summer we do get something of a letup. I also think this propensity may be genetic as his sister has it too

luckypenny
April 10th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Welcome to pets.ca etcapela :) .

I haven't any experience with a situation such as your's but was wondering what kind of tests the vet has done to determine the problem with your pup?

Dr Lee
April 10th, 2008, 12:57 PM
For chronic sinusitis, if he is not responding to traditional allergic sinusitis medications then it may be beneficial to make sure other causes of sinusitis are not present. Polyps, other growths, fungal infections and foreign bodies would be some common causes of sinusitis. Radiographs, blood testing and endoscopy could help look for these causes. Hope that helps. :pawprint: