Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

excessive meowing

duttypaws
April 10th, 2008, 07:20 AM
as you all know i adopted Lola a few weeks ago and she was meowing at night time... well I moved at the weekend and she settled really quick but the last few nights... her meowing is constant... now im not sure if its for attention as when I call her from the bedroom she doesnt come into the room... or that she is flicking her toys about (shes a real hunter)
Now I have tried the ignoring her meows, and she stops then starts again which makes me think shes' playing and she cant possibly be wanting the pidgeons on the balcony at 2am! .... it doesnt bother me but im rather worried about the neighbour in the apartment next to me.... if they can hear it (although its their kitchen that backs onto my living room!) :confused:

Any tips or is it just her..... its a really wierd meow... to be honest is sounds like the meow my old cat would do before being sick!!! :cat: all deep and wailing

clm
April 10th, 2008, 07:27 AM
My cats do those deep guttering meows when looking for each other in the house or when they're excited. I don't know why, but after dark is the favorite time for them to do it. I've never found a way to get them to stop it either. Now mine aren't doing it quite as often as yours is, so I'm guessing it's the pigeons that have peaked her interest.

Cindy

duttypaws
April 10th, 2008, 07:37 AM
My cats do those deep guttering meows when looking for each other in the house or when they're excited. I don't know why, but after dark is the favorite time for them to do it. I've never found a way to get them to stop it either. Now mine aren't doing it quite as often as yours is, so I'm guessing it's the pigeons that have peaked her interest.

Cindy

well it had really stopped and wouldnt start till 6am.... but now i think shes lonely... the other cat isnt joining me until her ear operation is all done and healed.... maybe she will calm down once happier here....

Winston
April 10th, 2008, 07:44 AM
My 2 do this when they appear to be looking for one another...sometimes the meowing sounds bad! But my male also is a meower and always has been...always wanting attention.

Just wondering if she may be looking for her kitty? She was living with her kitten right?

Cindy

ancientgirl
April 10th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Mine do this when they want something, or when they are alone.

Vlad isn't a real vocal kitty, but in the mornings right before I get up he does this to announce it's breakfast time. He also does this when he wants me to turn on the faucet. Kiska does it in the middle of the night. She'll fall asleep on the chair downstairs then wake up and realize she's all alone and start meowing. Maks used to go downstairs, but all I do now is call her a couple of times and she comes upstairs.

Lola might just be feeling lonely.

duttypaws
April 10th, 2008, 05:32 PM
well this is like at 2am
maybe she just wants to play and noone to play with...

Poppy will be coming soon.... maybe she will take to her better than i am thinking! :fingerscr

koalat
April 10th, 2008, 06:36 PM
My Aminnou will do this in the middle of the night if the dog's water bowl is empty and he wants water - believe me it does wake me up!:sleepy:

He refuses to drink out of his water bowl and will only drink from the dog's water dish - sometime even while one of the dog's are drinking!

Jo

Mine do this when they want something, or when they are alone.

Lola might just be feeling lonely.

Jim Hall
April 10th, 2008, 06:52 PM
my bet is some animal is visiting around that time and lola is letting you know about it

duttypaws
April 10th, 2008, 07:24 PM
well im on the 4th floor unless its spiderman ;) heheh...

im not sure she did it in the old apartment but stopped just before i started moving and its started up again so im trying to do a full hour of playing with her before bed... to giver her loads and Im going to move her pillow back into my bedroom where it originally was although she happily sleeps on my bed now....

i'll keep on trying...

onster
April 10th, 2008, 09:32 PM
I wanted to reply to this earlier but forgot, was reminded cuz my bunduk can now be heard meowing from somewhere :rolleyes:

he does it all the time, like ancient finds with he cats, it seems like he does it when he suddenly finds himself all one. Onnie sometimes runs to him and he will stop, other times i call for him.......somtimes he just wants to be picked up :rolleyes:

Frenchy
April 10th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Paddington does it too , not every night though. Always once we're all settled down for the night , once I close all the lights. I think it's is way to say :

hey ! I'm not done playing , get back up and play with me ! The pawty is just beginning ...:shrug:

CanadianChic
April 10th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Hey all. I'm new here, but would like to add a thought if you don't mind. My boy meows at me every night while I'm getting ready for bed. It's not even a meow as much as a grackling noise, over and over and over. It stops as soon as I am settled into bed with the treat container in hand. lol.

This is interesting. I would imagine that with the adoption and the subsequent move that the little one is in a bit of a turmoil. Perhaps confused and still becoming accustomed to the surroundings and routines. When my Paws is in the other room and starts meowing at me, it generally is because he wants something (almost always a treat). I respond to every meow by answering back "come here". He realizes after a while that the meowing isn't getting him anywhere and always saunters over to where I am quietly. ;)

duttypaws
April 11th, 2008, 07:02 AM
well last night she meowed twice! (which is a big difference) so i called her she comes in sniffs me then runs off again.... i thought id try moving her little bed into my room rather than the living room (as that is where is was in the old apartment) and hour of playing and throwing thing around with her... left out a ball of paper (ah cheap entertainment!)and I heard the ball of paper batting around the apartment all night. ... and much less meowing she woke me at 600 which isnt too bad considering the sun is at least up!! She was hungry! So we're getting there... s.... l....o....w....l......y

Love4himies
April 11th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Sweet Pea does this when she is playing with her mice or stuffies either while it is in her mouth, or just after she drops it on the ground. She is a former momma and stray so I thought she was calling her "kittens" to come for dinner.

duttypaws
April 11th, 2008, 08:46 PM
well i think lola is either playing or calling for another cat... as well she was living with her kitty.... we'll see how it goes :)

snowflake1
April 14th, 2008, 07:50 PM
my cat meows alot too, so I found that when she does that I just talk to her. I pretend that we are having a conversation. (yes i am crazy :) ) she usually does it when I come home for being somewhere. so I think she does it cause she misses me. ( at least that is what I think) :)

ancientgirl
April 14th, 2008, 09:31 PM
I just talk to her. I pretend that we are having a conversation. (yes i am crazy :) )

Are you kidding me? Some of my best conversations have been with my cats.:laughing:

duttypaws
April 15th, 2008, 07:14 AM
i think i have the answer... lola is meowing at 5am cos she is hungry.... im not sure how to get out this habit of eating at 5am...

Love4himies
April 15th, 2008, 07:47 AM
i think i have the answer... lola is meowing at 5am cos she is hungry.... im not sure how to get out this habit of eating at 5am...

If you stick to a regular feeding schedule, she will soon get used to it.

Jim Hall
April 15th, 2008, 09:02 AM
who is Sam, your other kitty? Did your other cat come home?

ancientgirl
April 15th, 2008, 10:10 AM

I feed mine at 6:00 am, before I start getting ready for work, and they start meowing around this time as well. As Love4himies stated, start her on a set schedule and she'll get used to it. Mine don't meow as early on the weekends, I don't know how they know, but they know the weekends they get fed a little later:D

duttypaws
April 15th, 2008, 05:57 PM
yeah a friend at work said the 5 am wake up is because she is used to being on the street so she gets up with the sun! basically.... 5am i dont mind... im up at 630-7 anyway.... i was told to try and keep her awake during the day... make her tired at night!

and my other cat arrives Friday!!

aslan
April 15th, 2008, 07:38 PM
i wonder if this would work. We have a chinchilla which is nocturnal, so we had to screw his internal clock up. We kept his room lit at night and dark during the day. Could you maybe leave a light or radio on low where the kitty is to keep it amused?

duttypaws
April 15th, 2008, 09:09 PM
yeah... the problem is she sleeps on my sofa... and as i have just moved there are no curtains up... so shes up with the sun and the pidgeons and my new apartment has the sun from sunrise until about 2ish.... my mum pointed out my cat when i was a teenager would get up with the sun as he too was a stray cat who was rescued... we've just played with the laser thing from 6-9 (yes my arm is killing me but she meowed at me to keep going!)... and its now 9:08 and shes sleeping for the first time since I got in at 3 pm... :fingerscr:fingerscr:fingerscr

ancientgirl
April 15th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Good luck. If anything, I think once she's got some kitty company she might leave you alone so early in the morning.

Jim Hall
April 15th, 2008, 11:02 PM
lol ancient then again maybe not

duttypaws
April 16th, 2008, 07:24 AM
:fingerscr or they both gang up on me at 5am

Love4himies
April 16th, 2008, 08:37 AM
:fingerscr or they both gang up on me at 5am

:laughing::laughing: Lola wouldn't teach the new kitty any bad habits would she :rolleyes:.

ancientgirl
April 16th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Something tells me you're going to need ear plugs. LOL, I think 14+ will lend you some.:D

duttypaws
April 16th, 2008, 03:24 PM
hehe thats what ipod are for.... she actually left me alone last night ...

we are getting there... im just making a makeshift mesh/seethrough door thing to my bathroom for poppy arriving on friday!