Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My cat excessively swallows, has coughing, black eye gunk...

bdubs2alaska
April 10th, 2008, 12:31 AM
My Classic Red Maincoon has been having developing symptoms (or habits) since January 2008 that I haven't seen him have excessively like this before. These new symptoms include coughing (with wheezy sounding purring after coughing attacks), excessive swallowing, hardening black and brown eye gunk (more frequent), covering of eyes while sleeping (sensitivity to light?). I haven't noticed him sneezing much if not at all, so I'm not sure if he has a respiratory issue. He eats and drinks water normally, sleeps normally, walks normally, and is active (or as active as a 15 yr old indoor cat can be). He has had Hyperthyroidism since 2004, and takes 5mg of Tapazole (1 pill twice daily). What could be causing these symptoms? Could he have a post nasal drip situation? Should I take him to a vet?

p.s. I should also mention the fact that we've been having an increased number of raccoon sightings in the back yard lately (due to the fact that we started feeding them nuts every so often) which Little red has been very excited about. He's been staying up most of the night watching for them, and some times taking to sleeping in his look out spot instead of his usual bed.

rainbow
April 10th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Yes, with those symptoms, you should take him to the vet. Also, a 15 yr. old cat should have a geriatric blood panel done twice a year. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

sugarcatmom
April 10th, 2008, 07:02 AM
I think a vet visit is definitely in order. Make sure they check your cat's heart out thoroughly (blood pressure, heart rate, EKG, maybe x-rays or echocardiogram). Maine Coon's are one of the breeds predisposed to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, and being hyper-T doesn't help. Good luck! Hopefully it's nothing, but you don't want to take any chances when an older cat starts coughing.

bdubs2alaska
April 10th, 2008, 12:09 PM
We paid a visit to the vet back in January (before these new symptoms became persistent) to check on his hyperthyroidism, and his blood levels were fine. He did have a slight murmur, but the vet said it wasn't something to get too worried about then. Maybe it's worse and causing these symptoms now? I think I will make an appointment to go back this week. Thanks everyone!

phoozles
April 10th, 2008, 12:19 PM
I think a vet visit is a great idea! :thumbs up
It could be a heart condition, or a URI flare up - they don't always involve sneezing - but the fact that he's still eating well is a good sign - I know that when my guy started coughing, he had an FHV flare up and he lost his appetite, due to a lack of smell..
Hopefully it's something minor :fingerscr - please keep us posted on his progress!

Love4himies
April 10th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Sorry to hear your kitty is sick. Poor thing. Let us know what the vet says.

rainbow
April 10th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Glad to hear you're taking him back to the vet. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes: