Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy aggression when taken outside.

ace3
April 10th, 2008, 12:22 AM
Hello everyone, I just got my first puppy dog about a week ago and he's about 9 and a half weeks old now. Whenever I take him outside to do his business he will wander about for a few minutes and then become very aggressive towards me. He will stare at me and growl, and then very quickly launch himself towards my feet and bite at my shoes and pant leg. I don't think he's playing but I'm not sure why he's being so aggressive. He is also very stubborn as each time he does that I grab him by the collar and tell him to stop and wait for him to calm down a bit, but as soon as I let go he goes after my legs again. He keeps doing this for a while until I get fed up and bring him back inside. He will still display that aggressiveness and jump around at me while inside for a while until I get he gets tired and I feed him. Thanks to anyone who has any ideas as to why he gets so aggressive when I bring him outside and/or ways to curb this behaviour.

clm
April 10th, 2008, 06:46 AM
Both of our pups did this when little. All of the puppies at the breeders did this to her as she was walking around as well. They found pant legs and shoes that moved quite exciting. :laughing:

Be patient, some puppy classes and lots of patient training lie ahead of you with your little one, right now everything is just a big game to them.

Cindy

Longblades
April 10th, 2008, 09:37 AM
I agree with clm, that is just normal puppy behaviour and is not aggression. You are correct to not let it continue, just maybe try to divert him with a toy instead of grabbing him. The grabbing IS a rather aggressive move on your part and may contribute to his behaviour. It is just what another puppy might do and you are NOT to be regarded as another puppy or a plaything for him. DON"t feed him either. Wait a few minutes after the biting and jumping around has ended otherwise you are rewarding him for his bad behaviour, which, incidentally, he has no idea is bad. He is not too young to be learning to sit and you should try making him sit, however briefly, for his meals. As he is your first puppy and all this is new to you I also agree that training classes are in order so YOU can learn what is normal, what is not and how to handle it.

ace3
April 10th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Thanks, I"ll try and not to do things that might reinforce that behaviour. I was also thinking about puppy classes as well, but I'm not sure at what age I should start him in those classes.

Longblades
April 10th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Classes can start at his age. Ask your Vet about when he is safe to mingle with other dogs. Some Vets would prefer one or two sets of vaccinations. Some more. My pup's breeder was against any classes till he was fully vac. at about 16 weeks. Vaccination versus early socialization and training classes is another one of those things there is vast disagreement on.