Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Blind dog chews wood

baberuth1ca
April 9th, 2008, 10:44 PM
So..I have this absolutely wonderful dog ...heinz 57, who was rescued by the humane society...she loves to snack on anything wooden in my house...table leg, wood trim, the legs on my brand new chesterfield. Here's the hitch..she's completely blind. She was beaten over the head when she was 2 months old and lost one eye and the retina detached in the other. I took her to the vet college in Saskatoon, but it was too late to reattach the retina and the eye didn't develop properly...and her skull is slightly deformed..which, I swear to god, only makes her look cuter.

I realize the chewing only happens when I'm at work and she's bored..she'll lie down and anything in reach is fair game to her, apparently. There are chewies within reach..but I guess they don't smell as tasty. My main concern is that she'll ingest something harmful to her....please understand..I like my furniture..but I LOVE my dogs. So, their safety is first..whatever it takes. Has anyone had any success with deterrents that are 100% pet safe..no vomitting or diarhea? She's been through enough.
Thanks in advance,
baberuth1ca :)

lucyferlucille
April 9th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Send the dog to doggy daycare boot camp while you are at work? Seriously why don't you crate train?

baberuth1ca
April 10th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Hey Luc,
When I first picked her up at her foster home..she stayed around the crate..but I have 2 other little ones who she plays with constantly. The mussed pillows and box 'o squeakie toys will attest to that..lol. One of my dogs acts as her 'seeing eye dog'. They are very bonded and I'm afraid that crating her would scare the begeebers out of her. My shifts start at 6 am, and so far, neither of the 2 doggy day cares open that early. On my night shifts I have someone sleep over at my house and she brings her dogs too. Believe it, or not..there are 6 dogs sleeping at my house right now, while I slave away at work...okay, while I whittle away the night on the computer at work :) I am considering turning the spare bedroom into a doggie room? Lots of toys, old hide-a-bed, etc. What do you think?

rainbow
April 10th, 2008, 12:16 AM
If you have a spare bedroom that you can do that with, I think it would be an excellent idea. Other than that, I was going to suggest an x-pen. :pawprint:

baberuth1ca
April 10th, 2008, 10:42 PM
I think I'm going to move the wooden furniture out of there and turn it into a doggie play room. I imagine there will be a transition period, as I'll have to give all 3 encouragement that this room is fun, fun, fun.

I love x-pens. They are a portable fence that you can take anywhere and your dogs can have a safe place to play in...I have 2 right now, that I use outside to extend my yard onto my patio, so the dogs can enjoy sitting with us while we drink coffee and enjoy the great outdoors...they love it too. I can leave the gate for them to join us..and had extra fence put it on the east side.

mastifflover
April 11th, 2008, 06:52 AM
An x-pen is a great idea but you can also spray the wood with bitter apple or something as equally distasteful. Leave a kong stuffed with peanut butter or go to kongs website they have all kinds of recipes for stuffing them. This is a solvable problem. Let us know how it goes. You are an angel for rescuing.

chico2
April 11th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Babe,I have no advice to give,just wanted to say,you are an absolute doggie:angel2:for rescuing this pup:grouphug:
I hope you find a safe solution:fingerscr

Frenchy
April 11th, 2008, 11:09 AM
An x-pen is a great idea but you can also spray the wood with bitter apple or something as equally distasteful.

Like Tabasco :D that's what I use since Nelly loves my wooded window frames.

luckypenny
April 11th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Their very own doggy-proofed playroom is a great idea :thumbs up .

Our beaver-Penny loves to gnaw on wood as well (cedar hedges being her favorite :frustrated: ). Thank dog she's never had a taste for the furniture.

mastifflover
April 11th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Just for all you doggie owners who have wood chewers be aware that pressure treated lumber that is used for decks and fences is toxic to animals. Whatever they spray on it can be lethal if ingested

jealma
April 11th, 2008, 04:23 PM
How wonderful that you have adopted this sweet baby. What a lucky girl/ boy to have landed in your home. no idea for the chewing thing, but just so proud of you for taking it all on.. :-)

baberuth1ca
April 13th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Just for all you doggie owners who have wood chewers be aware that pressure treated lumber that is used for decks and fences is toxic to animals. Whatever they spray on it can be lethal if ingested

This is exactly what concerns me, as the furniture, etc is just 'stuff'...you can always find more 'stuff'..but Tia is one of my babies. There isn't any outdoor furniture that is wood..just the interior...I have moved the side tables and coffee table to the basement and have baby gates on the stairs. Pillows propped agains the walls...you would hardly believe she's blind, as she plays fetch, jumps up and down from furniture without fear) and races around chasing Minnie. The cords, outlets, etc are all blocked..so she can't get near them. I just purchased some bitter apple..and hopefully it will help..but I've never caught her chewing..just when I leave.

baberuth1ca
April 13th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Leave a kong stuffed with peanut butter or go to kongs website they have all kinds of recipes for stuffing them. This is a solvable problem. Let us know how it goes. You are an angel for rescuing.

I'm going to have to pick up a kong and try that..I had purchased some 'scented' chewies...oh look, there they are..in the corner, unchewed...lol. So, if I can find something..then yippee. She's not particularly picky, as she was very starved when rescued by the humane society. I'm sure she'd love peanut butter.

mastifflover
April 14th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Spray the bitter apple anywhere you see teeth marks and anyother legs that may be victim to chewing

rainbow
April 15th, 2008, 02:22 AM
I wouldn't completely fill the kong with peanut butter.....way too much fat. Here is a site that has quite a few kong stuffer recipes....

http://dogs.thefuntimesguide.com/2006/02/dog_recipes_for_kong_chew_toys.php

mastifflover
April 15th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Rainbow is right don't fill it all with PB I used to mix it with treats to fill up space and make it more work to get the PB out

baberuth1ca
April 17th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Well, I have a new Kong for Tia..with a bit of peanut butter pushed right inside and treats. She just ignored it...lol. I'm going to have to sample some different stuffing ideas to whet her appetite. I haven't given up :)

rainbow
April 17th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Does she usually like peanut butter? You can try canned dog food, cheeze whiz or plain organic yogurt as well. Just remember to consider it as part of her daily food intake.

baberuth1ca
April 29th, 2008, 09:06 PM
I still can't get her interested in the kong..but when she can find her chewies..she LOVES them. I wanted to post a pic of her at her favourite past time..chewing..lol :)http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y176/baberuth1ca/IM000160.jpg