Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

City of Mississauga allows Rambo's owner to visit!

Saradog
April 9th, 2008, 07:42 PM
I'm thrilled by this, I think it's really compassionate and kind on the part of Mississauga City Council.

http://www.mississauganews.com/article/12943

LavenderRott
April 9th, 2008, 07:51 PM
It would be if they were planning on dropping all charges and letting Rambo go home with his owner.

Brooster
April 9th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Good news, I'll bet they will also go for the rescue option now that Parrish is on their case.
I still can't see how they can enforce a law that is under appeal. Imagine how all would feel if they killed Rambo or others and 132 was thrown out, as it should be.

Brooster
April 15th, 2008, 03:56 PM
http://www.mississauganews.com/article/13117
OK , now when is the next trial date

Chris21711
April 16th, 2008, 09:41 AM
They said in the Toronto Star that it would probably be sometime in June.

NoahGrey
April 16th, 2008, 01:57 PM
While I agree that Rambo, shoud not be put down. It is not his fault that he was born.

On the otherhand, I feel the owner should have consquences to pay. She fully knowling and willing broke the law.

Yes, I do not agree with the BSL law and think it should be throwin out..but the law is the law.

When we pick up pitties, we have them sent to a rescue out of province.

BTW..Rambo's a cutie and doesn't deserve this. I think they should be more concerned and making an effort in finding Rambo's breeder. Start at the root of the problem.

ACO22

Chris21711
April 17th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Good News, I hope.
Read in the Star this morning that Mississauga Council passed a motion yesterday that even if Rambo is declared a Pitbull, upon temprement testing he could be moved to another province. Although this would not be the greatest for his owner, it is better than being PTS.

ACO22 - What noticeaable difference is there between a Pittie puppy of 6-8 weeks and a Lab, or American Bulldog, just to name two. I hardly think that any person not just a 20 year old should be blasted just because it is the law,for not being able to distinguish between them. :2cents:

NoahGrey
April 18th, 2008, 07:35 AM
even if Rambo is declared a Pitbull, upon temprement testing he could be moved to another province. Although this would not be the greatest for his owner, it is better than being PTS.

Although I agree with you on this one. If it is determined that Rambo is pit, he should be moved to another province. We do that at the shelter that I work for.

ACO22 - What noticeaable difference is there between a Pittie puppy of 6-8 weeks and a Lab, or American Bulldog, just to name two. I hardly think that any person not just a 20 year old should be blasted just because it is the law,for not being able to distinguish between them. :2cents:

Please, don't be naive. You can tell a difference between a pittie and a lab. And I have to disagree with you, don't be fooled by a 20 year old saying she didn't know. She fully knew. I deal with this people everyday.

ACO22

Love4himies
April 18th, 2008, 07:46 AM
While I agree that Rambo, shoud not be put down. It is not his fault that he was born.

On the otherhand, I feel the owner should have consquences to pay. She fully knowling and willing broke the law.

Yes, I do not agree with the BSL law and think it should be throwin out..but the law is the law.

When we pick up pitties, we have them sent to a rescue out of province.

BTW..Rambo's a cutie and doesn't deserve this. I think they should be more concerned and making an effort in finding Rambo's breeder. Start at the root of the problem.

ACO22

I agree aco22, the law is the law and the breeder is also breaking the law and should be charged. Just like dealing drugs. Too bad it is the innocent party (Rambo) that has to ultimately pay the price for this law. I hope he does get to go to a foster home out of the province rather than PTS.

Love4himies
April 18th, 2008, 07:49 AM

Ignorance is not an excuse for breaking the law. BTW, I don't agree with this law at all, until it is changed (if ever) then Ontario residents have to obey by it.

Chris21711
April 18th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Sorry ladies I still disagree, but we are all entitled to our opinions.

I am a tad too old to be naive, and have seen many pups of all kinds of breeds and I don't think that it is cut and dried telling the difference when they are so young. Once again, that is my opinion.

luckypenny
April 18th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Up until a couple of years ago, I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference between a Lab and Pittie puppy myself, especially if it was a mixed Pittie :shrug: . I don't know how many ppl I've met who say their dogs are Boxer/Labs mixes but, to me, they could pass as PitBulls :o . But yeah, I agree, the breeder should be found to prevent any other unsuspecting new owners and their puppies from going through such awful experiences.

Regardless, I hope Rambo finds a safe, loving home outside the Province as well :fingerscr .

NoahGrey
April 18th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Just got this in my email....from one of my facebook groups! Thought I wouls share!!

Hello everyone!

Some good news to start your weekend - a motion has been passed by the city counsellors in Mississauga to allow "prohibited" pit bulls to leave the province of Ontario, provided they pass a temperment test. What this means is good tempered dogs will have a chance to live and be loved, rather than being euthanized. We have city counsellor Carolyn Parrish to thank for this - she has worked very hard on behalf of dogs and dog owners. While this is undoubtedly a positive development and Rambo's story will probably not have a tragic ending, please remember that as long as the breed ban remains in place healthy, well tempered animals across the province are going to be seperated from their families and/or euthanized. For every Rambo we hear about, there are a hundred puppies being put to sleep we don't hear about. And they still need your help as much as ever.
--------------------

Happy to hear the news:) Hopefully this is a step in the right direction and maybe in the future the BSL ban will be revoked.

ACO22

Brooster
April 18th, 2008, 03:48 PM

ACO22

I can put together a group of puppie pics and for that matter of adult dog pics and maybe an expert like yourself could pick out the PB but I couldn't. And doubt that Rambo's owner knew what kind of dog he was. I'd suggest you review the news stories before you blame her.
Perhaps as he began the grow and take shape she was made aware but by then she was in a tight spot, and someone left the gate open.:lightbulb:

chico2
April 18th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Whether she knew or not is really of no consequence in Rambos case,he's considered a pit-bull period,:sad:
I am now hoping he will pass the temperament tests,after all,he's been caged without much human contact for several months.
Miss Parish,is one gutsy lady fighting for these poor dogs,I've certainly changed my mind about her,we need more like her,rather than wishy-washy McGuinty and his cohorts.
Hope Rambo passes his tests with flying colours,does not give anyone an excuse to kill him:pray:

aslan
April 18th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Please, don't be naive. You can tell a difference between a pittie and a lab. And I have to disagree with you, don't be fooled by a 20 year old saying she didn't know. She fully knew. I deal with this people everyday.

ACO22

Calling someone naive because they don't agree with something is just plain rude. You don't know the owner of Rambo, you don't know what her experience is with pb's. Maybe you do deal with people everyday and it's made you cynicle. Not everyone would know the difference between a lab mix or an american bull terrier (which are commonly mistaken for pits). This has happened and its unfortunate for all concerned but insulting someone isn't helping the dog.

Brooster
April 18th, 2008, 10:13 PM
http://www.mississauganews.com/article/13189
Heres the news story:thumbs up