April 9th, 2008, 08:15 PM
We have just adopted a 3 yr old Weimaraner that is heartworm positive and needs to be neutered. The vets at the shelter say treat the heartworm first, then neuter when the dog has recovered. Our family vet of many years says neuter then wait a few days and begin the HW treatment. We figure the post HW treatment rest period will go lots smoother if the dog is neutered, so are leaning towards neuter first. Can anyone out there give us any insight?
April 10th, 2008, 10:40 AM
When our dog was ill when we first adopted him, it was suggested to us to wait until he got better before vaccinations and neutering. Can you perhaps get a third and/or fourth opinion before going ahead with the surgery?
April 10th, 2008, 10:45 AM
I"m no vet but I would think it would be easier on the dog to be healthy before neutering. Although neutering is not as big a deal as spaying but still, why not get him healthy first. You can control his where abouts and keep him ,, ( in control) until the heart worm is cleared up.... REmember, it's just my option and I am not a vet.
April 10th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Personally, I would not put a dog under for surgery with a compromised heart. I would wait until the dog was treated for the heartworm and fully recovered.
Heartworm treatment is very hard on a dog. Unless you have a bitch in heat living in your home, I don't think the dog is going to be overly hard to handle.
April 12th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the input, it is appreciated. We will get a third opinion.