Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Soft stool only at certain time of day ...

LittleQueenie
April 9th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Hi,

Shy (our German Shepherd/Boxer mix) is 9 months old. Shes been eating Blue Buffalo Adult Chicken and Brown Rice dog food for about 3 months now. She was on Solid Gold Adult lamb but didn't take to it very well - had soft stool a good bit on it and pooped alot more. So much so we had her stool tested for worms, bacteria etc and the test came back negative for everything.

Then we switched her to Blue Buffalo and shes doing much better in general on it. Seems to like the taste better and is pooping less. She goes out in the morning and poops and it looks fine - good color, firm. Then usually around 6 or 7 P.M. she'll poop and it will be much softer more like a cow pattie. Then around 10 or 11 P.M. she'll poop again and it'll be back to being firm.

Why only around that time of day does her stool get softer? We are not overfeeding her or free feeding.

Shes acting fine though playing, eating good, etc. Her coat looks good.

Would appreciate any thoughts,
LittleQueenie :)

growler~GateKeeper
April 9th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Is she getting any treats or people food between meals? Eating snow?

LittleQueenie
April 9th, 2008, 11:41 PM
She'll get a 6" free-range bully stick sometimes. But shes been having the soft stool before I began letting her have any bully sticks so I don't think its that.

She has no more than 2 Blue Buffalo dog biscuits a day. 1 around 12 P.M. and if she has another one its usually much later in the night. Thats all she'll have in a day. Hmm. No snow either(we are in Georgia).

LittleQueenie :)

growler~GateKeeper
April 9th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Perhaps try a few days with no treats at all, use a few kibbles instead, see if maybe that helps?

My :rip: :dog: got really bad gas with any treats, so I just used a few kibbles for treats.

rainbow
April 9th, 2008, 11:49 PM
How much does she weigh and how much are you feeding her at each meal?

LittleQueenie
April 13th, 2008, 05:14 PM
She weighs 65 pounds, and we are feeding her 2 and a half cups a day(thats total).

Here's a link to a picture:

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s260/LittleQueenie312/Shy.jpg