Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

kittens and male cats

redon
April 8th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Hello I am new here and I have a cat question. I found a stray female calico cat at my doorstep about a month ago. Took her to the Vet and checked out ok but pregnant she has now had her kittens. I have 3 male neutered cats and I have her locked in the basement laundry room. It is warm and cozy in there but she would desperately love to get out and roam with the rest of the clan. I am worried first if she is bored by herself and second will the other cats eat the kittens they are really small and look alot like rats. Does anyone have any experience with raising kittens around grown male cats.

ancientgirl
April 8th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Oh wow, you are an angel for taking this girl in. Thank you for helping her. I've got no experience with newborn kittens and male cats, but I KNOW someone will be along shortly to give you some great advice.

Are you keeping everyone?

chico2
April 8th, 2008, 05:25 PM
I also have no experience with male cats and kittens,however I doubt they would eat them.
Maybe if the mom is able to leave the kittens for a bit,you can introduce her to your boys,but then again it might be a bad idea she is intact,might drive the boys up the wall,even if they are neutered.
There is a girl here,who fostered a cat with kittens,she also had male neutered cats,hopefully she'll give you an answer.

BusterKitty
April 8th, 2008, 06:22 PM
How about introducing the mama and the boys but not the kittens? That way, mama could interact while the kittens are still in the laundry room? I don't know about if adults would eat the little guys but good luck anyways! Thanks for rescuing the girl or else she would've had to give birth outside:sad:

Love4himies
April 8th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Do not allow your female to roam while the males are free, unless your males are extremely cat friendly and she is too. She will protect those kittens with her life and may react differently to the males now that she is a momma. She is looking to roam so she can have an escape for a bit, lots of work taking care of the little ones.

What ever you do, do not allow the male cats in the nursery until they are about 5 weeks old and only under supervision. I have the friendliest cat who has no aggressive genes, but he was not allowed to visit the kittens until they were older. Sweet Pea (momma) wouldn't allow it.

If you do let her out make sure she can get back to her kittens, she will want to nurse about every 2 hours. I did not allow my momma kitty (Sweet Pea) out of the kitten nursery until the kittens were 3 weeks old. She had her own bed plus a large box on the floor with towels in it for the kittens. The box was big enough for her to lie down to nurse.

As for food, she needs high quality, human grade protein food, raw is actually best for her. If not, Wellness, grain free or Felidae supplemented with real meat. Lactating females need a great amount of water otherwise they may not produce enough milk. Cats have a very low thirst drive, so canned food is a must.

Do you have a box with the kittens in it? Momma likes to make sure they are secure.

Oh, also, the kittens need to be weighed at least every 48 hours, they should gain at least 10 grams per day. If, not they will need to be supplemented a bit. You can get kitten formula from the vet. I used a digital kitchen scale. (I don't have a good picture, but I am sure you get the idea of the one pictured)

THANK YOU, thank you, thank you for taking care of this pregnant
kitty.:angel2:

And in exchange for this advice: a picture of your clan:D We love pictures!

Good luck!!!!

Whoops snuck in a picture of my Sweet Pea and her kittens.

Love4himies
April 8th, 2008, 08:11 PM
I know you mentioned that the room is warm, but the box should have a towel over it so no drafts can get to the kittens, they can't regulate their body temp until about 3 weeks.

At 10 to 14 days their eyes should open, never force them open, this could cause permanent damage. It takes about 2 days for them to fully open, they start at the inner corner and slowly open across. If one is having problems opening their eyes, then a warm wet cloth, very gently pressed on the eye will help (no rubbing).

At about 3.5 weeks they should start weaning. Once again, watered down high quality, grain free canned food is best for their development. My kittens were on raw and Wellness kitten, canned.

Once again we need pictures, lots of them :yell::D please.

danaekitty
April 8th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Yay! Kittens are so cute!!! I'm excited for you.
L4H, yours are beautiful, and sweet pea has such amazing markings!

Love4himies
April 9th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Thanks danekitty, she is the first cat I saw with those markings. The second one I saw is Kiska, ancientgirl's little one.

redon
April 9th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Hello again, :usa:

Thanks for the advice. I have a box with blankets and newspaper on the bottem. However, she prefers the bed she made out of old bedsheets and blankets on a shelf she lies down on with kittens under her. I have been giving her kitten food which is dry and lots of water to drink and at night I give her some wet food. She also has a laundry basket with a nice fluffy blanket in it, but she does not move the kittens to either the box or the basket. I do not have a kitchen scale but the kittens are growing and the eyes are still closed. They were born one week ago Thursday. I will try to post a picture for all of you. Thanks again.

Love4himies
April 9th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Glad to hear momma and babies are doing well. If you can change her food to a high quality canned it will be so much better.

Sounds like she is happy where she is, otherwise she would move the tiny sweeties. Sweet Pea tried to move them inside the dustcover under the bed so we had to rip the whole dust cover off because the air quality would be too poor.

Can't wait for the pictures ;)

redon
April 11th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Its me again, I have a question when do newborn kittens open their eyes? They were born a week ago on Thursday.

:usa:

ancientgirl
April 11th, 2008, 09:26 AM
I believe they should open them after about 10 days.

Here's a couple of sites with some info:
About.com Kitten care (http://cats.about.com/cs/kittencare/a/kittencarethree.htm)

Safe Haven (http://cats.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=cats&cdn=homegarden&tm=36&f=22&su=p284.8.150.ip_&tt=2&bt=1&bts=1&zu=http%3A//www.safehavenforcats.com/newborn.htm)

I hope you can post some pictures soon.:D

14+kitties
April 11th, 2008, 09:41 AM
redon - as L4H mentioned earlier - 10 to 14 days. Please read her post below. :)

I know you mentioned that the room is warm, but the box should have a towel over it so no drafts can get to the kittens, they can't regulate their body temp until about 3 weeks.

At 10 to 14 days their eyes should open, never force them open, this could cause permanent damage. It takes about 2 days for them to fully open, they start at the inner corner and slowly open across. If one is having problems opening their eyes, then a warm wet cloth, very gently pressed on the eye will help (no rubbing).

At about 3.5 weeks they should start weaning. Once again, watered down high quality, grain free canned food is best for their development. My kittens were on raw and Wellness kitten, canned.

Once again we need pictures, lots of them :yell::D please.

Love4himies
April 11th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Thanks 14+kitties.;)

redon
April 11th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Just a friendly note, kitties have opened eyes this afternoon. Very cute, blue as can be. As for the high quality canned food. Do you have an name brands I could look for. I am going to petsmart Saturday and I will check it out. They are growing by the way. I keep trying to get a picture of the clan buy momma cat is being hard to allow it. I can only seem to move 2 and then she comes running. Will keep you all updated. :):usa:

14+kitties
April 11th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Again - curtesy of L4H from earlier post -

As for food, she needs high quality, human grade protein food, raw is actually best for her. If not, Wellness, grain free or Felidae supplemented with real meat. Lactating females need a great amount of water otherwise they may not produce enough milk. Cats have a very low thirst drive, so canned food is a must.

You said the kitties opened their eyes today? If they were born on Thursday last that would make them only 8 days old. Wow!! How many are there? Did they all open their eyes today? I have some that were born a week today. No eyes open yet.

Love4himies
April 12th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Oh I can't wait to see pictures :cloud9::cloud9:, 14+, you have kittens too?:cloud9::cloud9:. Ohhh I can't wait to foster again.

Careful of the flash on their delicate brand new eyes;).