Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Please help! My cat may have tumor...

sctwong
April 8th, 2008, 01:13 AM
Our 7 years old cat has been losing weight and inactive over the last month but is still eating and drinking. We took her to the vet ER and the doctor said she has bloody fluid in her abdomen while they're trying to extract urine sample. They immediately did an x-ray and confirm the abdominal fluid but the vet also said that there seems to be fluid in her chest as well. He said it's 90% likely that she has a tumor. There is no lump detected by the x-ray tho. He suggested blood work to find out which organ(s) is/are involved so that we know whether she's suffering or not, which in turn decide if we should put her to sleep earlier or later. Unfortunately we can't afford chemo for her so it seems like it's just a matter of time that she'll leave us...

I just want to know if there's a slight chance that it's not tumor but she can still get fluid in her abdomen and around her lungs due to other causes. She is a lovely cat with great personality, love people and love food. My husband and I are not ready to see her go...

Any help will be appreciated.

Tracy

growler~GateKeeper
April 8th, 2008, 01:18 AM
Have you done the full panel blood work yet? That is one of the best diagnostic information tools to see what is going on.

I'm sorry your kitty is not doing well :grouphug:
Good luck :goodvibes: & :fingerscr for your & yours

Please do update us on how she is doing

growler~GateKeeper
April 8th, 2008, 01:25 AM
There are other conditions that can cause fluid in the chest cavity but with those they don't neccessarily contain blood.

Your vet can also do a fine needle aspirate of the chest cavity to remove some fluid for testing to see what exactly it is made up of.

:goodvibes:

Dr Lee
April 8th, 2008, 07:52 PM
I am sorry to hear about your pet.

Is ultrasound available in your area??? This would be one of the most important tests for this condition. I agree with growler on blood testing and fluid analysis but both of these can miss tumors. Once you have fluid in a cavity, many tumors become 'invisible' but show up remarkably well on ultrasound. This test is not painful and non invasive and might give you enough information to make other decisions.

What the other tests will tell you:
1) Blood tests. Likely they will include viral panels to look for FIP, FeLV, etc... It will also look at white blood cell counts and overall organ health. It may not tell you what organs are or are not involved completely.
2) Fluid analysis. This will include culture and sensitivity which will attempt to culture and grow bacteria to see if it is bacterial in origin. Cytology will look at cells that may be floating in the fluid - some tumors can be seen this way, some can not. It can also characterize the fluid - sometime liver, heart and lymphatic diseases will cause fluid accumulation as well.

I want to be frank on this, fluid accumulation in both the chest and abdomen in a cat is always a critical and severe situation and cancer is a common cause for this. I am very sorry. I hope she is comfortable. I will keep out good thoughts.:pray:
3) Ultrasound. This will be an excellent method to look for tumors that cytology might not pick up (cytology is still very important for this) and also be a method to remove more fluid from the chest.