Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dogs and Condos - tenants' rights - cats dogs and pets

Elizabeth Ann
April 7th, 2008, 06:45 PM
We have lived in our condo town house since July of 2006.

When we first purchase the house we read the rules and saw that we were any aloud to have one dog (we had two at the time). We thought "Oh well, the combined weight of the dogs isn't 30 lbs, we should be Okay".

Everything has been fine and no one ever said anything to use about out two dogs.

Over the winter we got our third dog Tonka. We thought again "Oh well, the comdined weight isn't 60 lbs we should be okay".

Today we got a notice in our mailbox. I am pretty sure it's a mass flyer since it's on yellow paper and from the management company.
On the notice it states the following;

PET RULE REMINDER
One small dog or domestic cat is "the rule"
All dogs must be on a leash
No dogs & cats are permitted on rear lawns or adjacent flower beds/planter boxes
If pets do defecate anywhere on common elements, owners must immediately clean up after pet
All "Poop'nscoop" bags must not be left outside @ front of unit
No excessive/incessant barking (as I am typing this I can hear a dog barking and had been since we got home at 5:30)
No Breeding
Please report to Management

So, the only rule that we have broken is the "One dog" rule. Can they kick us out (even though we own our unit), or can they make us get rid of our furbabbies?

I remember hearing about a Ontario law stating that once the dog is in the unit there is nothing anyone can do (as long as you don't have more then three dogs).

I am really worried and my boyfriend is really worried.

Are we in trouble?

Tommysmom
April 7th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Unfortunately, a neighbour of mine was in a similar situation when I lived in a condo in Mississauga and she lost the battle. Apparently condo bylaws outweigh city bylaws once you sign on the dotted line, so although Burlington permits you to have 3 dogs the condo corporation does have the right to enforce their 1 dog limit. I don't know if that's true everywhere, but it was certainly true in Mississauga.

Are you friendly with your neighbours? The only way the management would know you have 3 is if somebody called them, do you think they're likely to do so? Are there others who have multiple pets? One of the reasons that my neighbour had lost her fight was because the management company consistently enforced the rules with all tenants... the lawyer had told her that if there was a history of them turning a blind eye to others with multiple pets, she would have had an argument.

If it was a mass mailing, it really does sound like they're just concerned with making sure there aren't piles and piles of poop left everywhere... I'll bet nobody even bothers to read it! If they don't read it, nobody is going to say a darn thing about your pups.

Elizabeth Ann
April 7th, 2008, 07:46 PM
This morning the people on the left (who rent) asked if we had seen the flyer.

The lady beside us on the right is on the condo board and is a mean old lady that doesn't have much else going on in her life. She had the tree cut down in front of our house before even asking us about it. Long store

But she is the type that sees black and white and nothing else.

The horrible thing is we don't have kids, and may never so these are our babies. And because the market is dropping we wouldn't be able to sell this house and get into one that is just as nice. We haven't put enough equity into the house yet.

So if it's a MOVE OR GET RID OF THE DOGS situation then we would need to at least get rid of Tonka.

I am sick to my stomach here.

Elizabeth Ann
April 7th, 2008, 08:12 PM
It's funny how they found out.

We have had a leaking basement (water coming in from out side) since we moved it.

We had the condo mantance people in before we finished the basement (and fully moved in) but they never fixed it. Then in early February we had a flood, and the construction people came back in. This time they saw three dogs.

Anyways the lady at the condo management company and I had a bit of a fight on the phone (it's a long story) so that one less person on my side.

Then the lady on the right on us hates everything and everyone. I haven't heard her say one nice thing about one person in this complex. This flyer sounds like her almost word for word. Last summer I sucked up to her since last winter we apparently we a little noicy. We didn't know that our music and TV carried thru into other units... so we got a SHUT UP letter one morning at 4 am. We sent out another letter stating we were sorry and gave each unit our names and phone number. We stated that we didn't know and would like people to contact us directly if it happens again. We never got another letter.

So I think the other home owners (or renters) hate us.

Go think we purchased a tent trailer. We will be away every weekend this summer so maybe people will forget that we even live here.

I really hope that nothing is going to come from this letter.

I really don't think parents would like to here "you can only have one baby while living in our complex". I truly think this is very unfair.

We clean up after our dogs and we keep them quite. Sorry I am going on a rant here but I am really worried. Super worried. I am not sure what we would do.

CyberKitten
April 7th, 2008, 09:12 PM
I have to say most condos- which I why we have stayed away from them from the plague (and my husband to be is a lawyer, not a real estate lawyer but that's not rocket sci either- he is an immigration lawyer, something he finds more interesting and rewarding as in helping ppl, esp refugees. He is like me in that way - our friends tease us we are always caring for strays.)

Anyway- sorry to go on. I do think your contract is rather specific and one dog is the limit. It was that when you signed up and is the same now. If it says nothing about weight, I am unsure how you made that deduction. (with respect, I am at a lost to understand the rationale of that. I love my cats and they ARE my babies but because I have 4 of them, there is no way I would even consider a contract that said ONE pet.)

I do not know how you get out of it. You are clearly - as much as I hate to be the bearer of bad news (don't shoot the messenger please!) - in the wrong and did not pay attention to the rules that were outlined. May I asked why you thought weight would count or are you just joking when you say that? It is serious because think of the trauma to your babies!

If I were in your situation and say lived in a condo where the rules were changed - tho the politician in me would lobby to try to ensure they did not - say we were allowed 4 cats and then it was changed to two, we would have one option left and that is to move. These are our babies and that's that.

You can't very well say you did not understand the rules unless you want them to think you are not literate. Can you lobby the Condo Board? Why does one person have so much influence? Is everyone else so busy that they do not participate? Does anyone know- do you know that for certain? Can you ask for leniency and please your case to the Board which does leave you in a bad situation should you loose because then you will be faced with moving or giving up two dogs. What about a medical excuse? is there any medical reason you might need a dog? In this case, three dogs? 9usually, these developments might buy one dog as a medical issue but not three.) maybe one can be yours and one can be a medical dog? Still, that is not truthful and that would disturb me.

I know we all make mistakes so I can;t judge.However, it is hard to say they are being unfair when the rules were so obvious. Have others broken them? is there a precedent? That might help -of someone else had one cat or dog or bunny or whatever?

I recall a condo development near my folks- who bought a home because they hated the whole condo thing too in Fla during the winter - where because the grandchildren of one family moved with them (after the death if the children's' parents), they had to move. Condo Boards can be very strict and very unyielding. I hope you can find someone to be on your side. The music thing may not help - maybe if you can determine the demographics of the Condo and see who there may be willing to support you.

All I can say is good luck but if you want all three dogs and not any worries, I;d start looking for a new condo,. How bad can the market be?

Hogansma
April 8th, 2008, 12:47 AM
I am truly sorry to hear of your situation but also I do not understand why you would go ahead and get a third dog when you knew you were breaking the rules, having two. As far as I know, you have to comply with all the condo rules, not just the majority of them or the ones you like. I really don't know why you'd think of getting a lawyer. You read and signed the contract and one dog, means one dog, not three under 60 pounds. I'd look at moving and chalk it up to experience. Good luck!

aslan
April 8th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Hey elizabeth ann, Personally having lived in a condo and knowing how they love to send out their little notices. I think thats exactly what it is, especially since your neighbour asked if you got one too. Does this neighbour have pets? Keep an eye on your neighbours to see how many they have, try and take the dogs out one at a time. I wouldn't panic until I got something written directly to me. Hopefully its just a reminder to poop and scoop etc. Since the writer mentions someone's dog barking while she's writing, its not directed right to you. They do love their flyers as i recall.

Love4himies
April 8th, 2008, 06:48 AM
I hope that Aslan is correct and is a general reminder, but if not, I think Cyberkitten is correct. The rules are very clear and you broke them. I don't understand why you would get a third dog when the rules state only one??

clm
April 8th, 2008, 07:11 AM
I don't understand why you would think that 3 dogs is okay either. The condo would likely have grounds to force you to get rid of the dogs or move. I'm afraid I'd be selling and looking for another place to live that will allow all 3 dogs.

Cindy

Elizabeth Ann
April 8th, 2008, 08:32 AM
I have to say most condos-
May I asked why you thought weight would count or are you just joking when you say that? ?

I was only joking when I was saying that.

I am not stupid and I relizes that 12 sets of legs equals 3 pets no matter how much they weight.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news (don't shoot the messenger please!) - in the wrong and did not pay attention to the rules that were outlined.
We read the rules but not until after we put an offer on the house. You can't just say "Hey, can you not accept any offers on your house until I spend $75.00 to get the condo rules and then read them". We already had two dogs when we moved in, we didn't think a thrid would be a problem (since others in the complex had multiple pets). However, I don't remember signing anything stating that I agreed with the rules, or signing anything stating that I even read the rules.

Have others broken them? is there a precedent? That might help -of someone else had one cat or dog or bunny or whatever?

I don't know of one person that hasn't broken a rule or two. Like parking in visitors. We all have a one car driveway and a garage. 80% of people have thier garage full of stuff so they park thier second car in visitors. Then there is another guy that has a welding trailer in visitors. And another person has had a broken down Neon in visitors since the day we moved in.

I am just taking it so personally because being asked to move a car and being asked to get rid of a family member are two different things.

The music thing may not help
We said sorry with in hours of receiving the hand written letter (nothing formal). We had no idea that the noice could travel into other's units. We had no way of knowing. But once we did know we said sorry and have been very good ever since (at least we hope we have been good since no one has mentioned it since).

All I can say is good luck but if you want all three dogs and not any worries, I;d start looking for a new condo,. How bad can the market be?
We can not afford to move. We have only been in the house for 18 months and have already taken out the equity to pay for renovations. Our townhouse has not gone up enough in value in order for us to sell and not lose money. We have to stay (plus we LOVE our home).

Elizabeth Ann
April 8th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Hey elizabeth ann, Personally having lived in a condo and knowing how they love to send out their little notices. I think thats exactly what it is, especially since your neighbour asked if you got one too. Does this neighbour have pets? Keep an eye on your neighbours to see how many they have, try and take the dogs out one at a time. I wouldn't panic until I got something written directly to me. Hopefully its just a reminder to poop and scoop etc. Since the writer mentions someone's dog barking while she's writing, its not directed right to you. They do love their flyers as i recall.

Sorry that was me. As I was typing my post there was a dog barking.

I was just thinking that I would wait until I rec'd a formal letter.

We are very responsible dog owners. We ALWAYS pick up our poop. I have even gone back into the house to get a bag and then back outside to pick it up.

There has been a big of a turn over in home owners lately and more and more "new dogs" have moved it. I have heard them barking and I have seen some owners not pick up after their dogs. And I have seen one owner let thier dog our in the back common area to poop and just let the dog back in. My dogs have never even stepped a foot on that grass.

I am really worried that the other dog owners are putting a target on us because we have three. I am really worried that my uptight neighborough is going to think that it's us and inturn take it out on us.

I am really happy we are going to be away most of the summer. Maybe this will help. Out of sight - out of mind.

Love4himies
April 8th, 2008, 08:40 AM
The offer on the home could have been conditional upon reading the condo rules and your real estate agent should have recommended this clause.

As for others breaking the rules. You are right if others break the rules, you can't punish just one resident, you have to punish them all.

Still don't think you should have gotten a third dog, knowing that you were only allowed one.

As for signing anything on the rules. It may be understood when you purchase your condo, that these rules are in effect and may actually be placed on your deed, not sure, I know covenants in a subdivision can be. That would be up to your lawyer to point that out to you.

Elizabeth Ann
April 8th, 2008, 08:53 AM
[QUOTE=Love4himies;576227]

Still don't think you should have gotten a third dog, knowing that you were only allowed one.

QUOTE]

Now that everyone is judging me I will come out with it. In October my bf and I found out we have a very slim chance of ever getting pregnat. And with in that the same week we almost lost Eddie.

So my boyfriend found Tonka for me to help cheer me/us up. His heart was in the right place any my mind was no where to be found.

While we were in the house hunting process we talking about getting another dog. While we were looking we saw 100's of houses ended up in two bidding wars. When we saw this house (before it was even on the market) we thought that we needed to jump at it. The only conditions we put in the offer were finacing.

Anyways - I think I might just be over re-acting. I think that I am not going to worry until we get a formal letter. We will deal with it then.

dogcatharmony
April 8th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Why do so many people have the mentallity that if"everyone else is breaking the rules so I can too?":wall:

You knew the rules and because you got away with two you decided to push the limit and get a third. Before you got the third did you stop and think what could happen if you got caught? I understand when you say your dogs are like family, but unfortunetly not everyone thinks like that. You comparing your dogs as your children is like comparing apples to oranges, when it comes to renting they are just "pets".

You made the decision to break the rules, sadly it won't only be you that has to pay the consequences for breaking the condo rules. One or possibly two dogs may have to leave their home because of your decision.

Reality
April 8th, 2008, 09:18 AM
In the list of rules it says one small dog or domestic cat. You decided to try getting away with the two and managed to do that. So what where you thinking when you decided to get the 3rd? I mean it's great that you love the pets and all.. but the rule is there to protect everyone. Your neighbours have rights too and you breaking the rules is not fair to them even if your intentions are good. Steal once,, so it's ok to do it till your caught?

If you owned a home and rented it out,, and in the contract it said no painting, and than your tennet decides,, well really, nothing wrong with the colour green,, not hurting anyone.... ???? what would you think.. I think it's great you love these pets,, but I think you should have considered the people around you before you decided to bring them into your life.. Sorry,, just trying to be real about it. It's like the woman who has 40 cats,, heart means well,,Now your looking at perhaps having to find a home for some of your pets,,, so did you do the right thing? Were you thinking of the pets,, your neighbours, did you think it out, or just follow your heart?

ancientgirl
April 8th, 2008, 09:39 AM
I rent in a condo complex too. There are similar rules, except they don't apply to cats. It sounds like you might have to either get rid of two of your babies or perhaps renting out your place might be a thought. I don't know how that would work out for you but it might be something to think about.

Elizabeth Ann
April 8th, 2008, 09:50 AM
No, we didn't think it thru you are right.

Our first two we really can't say much since we already had them before we purchased the house. You are totally right that we shouldn't have gotten a third dog, but at the time we needed him just as much as he needed us.

I asked this question to see if legally they could tell us to get rid of the dogs or make us move (I tryed looking it up on the internet but couldn't find anything). I did not ask for people to pass judgment on me and my actions.

dogcatharmony - you said "You comparing your dogs as your children is like comparing apples to oranges, when it comes to renting they are just "pets"."

First we are not renting we are paying a mortgage on our home. And yes, I understand there are rules when owning a condo townhome. I just not stupid. I thought that these rules were writen 20 years ago and may not still apply. Everyone living in my complex is breaking one rule or another and if for any reason we do get a formal letter you can bet you last dollar that I will be making sure NO ONE breaks another rule, not one.
Second, yes my dog are like my children since I might never be able to have children of my own.

Anyways - Thank you to the people that gave me the advise that I was looking for.

jealma
April 8th, 2008, 10:03 AM
I hope all works out for everyone involved. I'm sure getting finding other homes for your babies would be very hard. I am only sorry that your pets will have to go through a change of home if you are forced to give them up.

Elizabeth Ann
April 8th, 2008, 10:14 AM
I hope all works out for everyone involved. I'm sure getting finding other homes for your babies would be very hard. I am only sorry that your pets will have to go through a change of home if you are forced to give them up.

My bf and I have started brainstorming solutions. We will not give up our dogs. NEVER. If we have to borrow money from family to move we will do that, but we are not giving up our lovely four legged family members.

But as I mention we are not doing anything until we get a formal letter.

Reality
April 8th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Hind site is 100%. And things will take their coarse. I think I responded with an angry tone because I do own a building and have tenents and at times I do not understand why they think rules are there for everyone else. As far as you sayiing,, well everyone is breaking one rule,, it frustrates me because they are wrong to break the rules,, but that doesn't make it ok for you to do it to? Guess my momma used the old saying,, if Johnny jumped off the bridge would you too? once to often on me,, because I really feel just because one person does something wrong, doesn't give me the right to do the same wrong. I realise this is not a RENTED place, but it is a community of sorts. As far as you needing the third dog as much as you needed him,, I would have to question that. Sorry, it's great if you can afford and have the room for three dogs,, but as far as need,, No one NEEDS that many pets. I do hope it works out for you,, Really I do,, Maybe you can help me understand the thinking in,, "I thought it was an old rule".. "or the total weight wasn't 60lbs"? I just don't understand that. Give me a change to understand that thinking,, I really will try, but you need to give me a logical and reasonable excuse.... Not trying to Judge,, I really am trying to understand

ancientgirl
April 8th, 2008, 10:25 AM
My bf and I have started brainstorming solutions. We will not give up our dogs. NEVER. If we have to borrow money from family to move we will do that, but we are not giving up our lovely four legged family members.

But as I mention we are not doing anything until we get a formal letter.

It might be a good idea to call a Realtor, just so you can get an idea of what you could possibly rent your condo for. As I stated, if you have to, renting your condo might be a good option for you. You can rent to someone who can just pay the mortgage, and you can find a more pet friendly place to live.

As it is now, you may as well wait until you get something a bit more formal directed to you.

SnowDancer
April 8th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Personally, I think you have a problem. This is why we are in a bungalow in East York instead of the condo that we first made an offer on. We were VERY clear upfront that we had 2 mini Dachshunds and a cat at the time - the Dachshund weighing 10 lbs. each - but size does not matter - 2 Great Danes would have been 2 dogs. We were assured that this was not a problem. Once we received the condo documents I went immediately to the back pages which is where you always find out the bad news and it CLEARLY stated one Dog or 2 cats. We spoke with a board rep and our lawyer and we withdrew the offer - the selling realtor was furious that he was going to lose a sale over our dogs - well it was his fault, we were always very upfront about it. I happened to be speaking to my former boss' MIL's lawyer as she was moving into a condo - he was a condo lawyer - and I mentioned our problem and why we had moved to the East York bungalow - and he told me it was a very good thing or I most probably would no longer have my dogs or we would have had to sell and move. There was a Toronto court case a couple of years ago - a man had 2 dogs living in a condo on Church Street - documents allowed for only one dog. And, yes, other residents - particularly board members had 2 dogs - but that didn't matter - he was the one being charged. He lost the case. Re weight of dogs, there was another, really stupid case. The maximum dog weight (one dog) allowed was 25 lbs. The dog got fat and went up to 32 lbs. The people just couldn't seem to get the weight off and the condo board forced them out - and took them to court. The dog owners had to sell and move. Mass flyer or not, I would most definitely not be getting a third dog and would be concerned. Condo life - except for the common walls and ceilings would have been better for us, but not at the risk of our pets. I don't think that having to pay the $75 to read the condo documents and not wanting to lose that $75 on discovery of pets allowed would hold any weight whatsoever. Actually we had to pay for the documents as well, but the funds were returned to us as we had clearly indicated our pet situation up front. Sorry, but that is the way it is. You could consult a condo lawyer, but I have no doubt what he will tell you.

luckypenny
April 8th, 2008, 10:38 AM
I asked this question to see if legally they could tell us to get rid of the dogs or make us move

Sorry to say, but yes, they can. I'd start looking for alternatives so you'll be prepared if that formal letter ever comes. You may be given a time limit eg. 10 business days to rectify your situation :shrug: so probably a good idea to start planning, just in case.

Reality
April 8th, 2008, 10:43 AM
As a landlord I can have you evicted and I fear that you don't have a leg to stand on in this fight. I agree with Penny. You either need to start looking for a different place,, check to see that you are within your rights to rent out your condo first,, ( no sense breaking even more rules) or if your not willing to move spend the time trying to find the best home for your other beloved pets.

Elizabeth Ann
April 8th, 2008, 11:23 AM
As a landlord I can have you evicted and I fear that you don't have a leg to stand on in this fight. I agree with Penny. You either need to start looking for a different place,, check to see that you are within your rights to rent out your condo first,, ( no sense breaking even more rules) or if your not willing to move spend the time trying to find the best home for your other beloved pets.

Why do people keep making such personal comments?

"As a landlord I can have you evicted", why not say something like "As a landlord I can have some one evicted for breaking rules".

Again, the weight comment was just a joke. My boyfriend and I understand that three dogs are three dogs no matter how much they weight.

The "Old Rule" comment was just that. Lots of rules change or just encored over time.

And the “everyone else is doing it” is also just that. We thought that because others were bending/breaking the rules it meant that the board was not that strict. We thought that the board had more of a “you don’t bother me, I wont bother you” outlook. We have never rec’d a formal complaint about the dogs. They very quite, we always clean up after them, and we don’t let them even step on the common areas (we take them for long walks and to dog parks).

aslan
April 8th, 2008, 11:30 AM
After hearing about all the new pets that have moved in i think the notice was directed at them. To certain people who answered, at no point in her question did she say, judge me for doing what i did, ridicule, insult or make judgement of me. Her question was " does she need a lawyer". Some people don't even read all of what was said. What part of she wont get rid of them she'd move didn't you get. It doesn't matter why she has three, she does.

Reality
April 8th, 2008, 11:45 AM
I do appolagize honestly. Lawyer is needed although (not trying to judge) but her time and money would be better spend preparing for change. Most of my statements are in truth questions. I just don't understand some of the reasons ( as a landlord) I get for behaviours from people. I am sure this woman is a wonderful, loving person who cares for others and pets alike. Anyone who loves that much has to be a very heart filled person,,, but, I don't understand. I hear so many things that just bewilder me in the thinking behind them that I was hoping perhaps to find a better understanding. It's past, you can't change the past, but you can learn or understand. I love animals, I have a wonderful dog. I try to be a fair and reasonable person, but at times I get very frustrated with the human race. There is an artical posted here today on an artist,, it's awful what that person has done.. but I bet she justifies it totally....and I'd be an awful person for saying I don't get her logic.. and if I ask to explain it to me, so I can try to understand, I'd be condemmed for questioning it,, and maybe it would even be considered a personal attack,,,, Well maybe in that case it would be,, that woman needs locking up.... I just want to understand ....... can you explain to me,, why it's ok with a reason, that is not just a justification of doing something wrong?

dogcatharmony
April 8th, 2008, 11:48 AM
I thought this bb supported the ethical treatment of animals? So having put two dogs at risk of losing a home because of a human decision(where they clearly knew the rules).....how ethical is that??

marko
April 8th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Closed at the request of the OP.

Thx
Marko

marko
April 8th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Many of the statements in this thread are false or don't apply to Ontario residents. Here are some of Ontario's tenants' laws provided by the OP - Thanks!

http://www.ontariotenants.ca/law/law.phtml#Q6
Q6: The landlord says I must either move out or get rid of my pet; Do I?
A6: Only if the pet is dangerous, causes allergic reactions or causes problems for other tenants or the landlord, must you get rid of your pet or consider moving elsewhere as per Landlord application to terminate tenancy based on animals.

Even if you signed a lease with a "no pets" clause, if the pet is not a problem for anybody they can not enforce it; such no pets clauses are invalid under the law.

You do not have to move or get rid of the pet unless the Board issues a written order to do so.

http://www.ontariotenants.ca/law/act05.phtml#RTA76
Application based on animals
76. (1) If an application based on a notice of termination under section 64, 65 or 66 is grounded on the presence, control or behaviour of an animal in or about the residential complex, the Board shall not make an order terminating the tenancy and evicting the tenant without being satisfied that the tenant is keeping an animal and that,

(a) subject to subsection (2), the past behaviour of an animal of that species has substantially interfered with the reasonable enjoyment of the residential complex for all usual purposes by the landlord or other tenants;

(b) subject to subsection (3), the presence of an animal of that species has caused the landlord or another tenant to suffer a serious allergic reaction; or

(c) the presence of an animal of that species or breed is inherently dangerous to the safety of the landlord or the other tenants.

2006, c. 17, s. 76 (1).

Same
(2) The Board shall not make an order terminating the tenancy and evicting the tenant relying on clause (1) (a) if it is satisfied that the animal kept by the tenant did not cause or contribute to the substantial interference. 2006, c. 17, s. 76 (2).

Same
(3) The Board shall not make an order terminating the tenancy and evicting the tenant relying on clause (1) (b) if it is satisfied that the animal kept by the tenant did not cause or contribute to the allergic reaction. 2006, c. 17, s. 76 (3).

http://www.ontariotenants.ca/law/act02.phtml#RTA14
"No pet" provisions void
14. A provision in a tenancy agreement prohibiting the presence of animals in or about the residential complex is void. 2006, c. 17, s. 14.

And for condos its;
http://www.teskey.com/legal/legal1.htm
Will the new Act help me to get permission to keep a pet?

If a condominium's declaration prohibits pets, the declaration could be amended to allow pets if the owners of at least eighty per cent of the units agree in writing and certain other requirements are met. The old Act required the owners of all units and all mortgagees to agree.