Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

unknown leg injury

bperiard
April 7th, 2008, 05:48 PM
my 8 yr old lab was injured yesterday. He was retrieving a frisbee I was throwing. we normally play on a flat grade, but yesterday there was little room at the park. I was throwing slightly downhill, with a slope to the right. When he was running the ground was uneven so I think he was putting too much weight on his right side. the ground was wet so he could have slid a little. I never saw him fall or nothing unusual happened. when we got home I noiced a slight limp, a few hours later he was having difficulty getting up and walking. I tried putting pressure on different areas of his joints and legs and he had no sensitivity to it. I see no swelling, my guess is that the injury is in his shoulder joint. I'm a low income student, and I really cant afford vet service. Am I putting my dogs health at risk if I dont take him to the vet? any help or suggestions would be great. tahnk you, Brett

Dr Lee
April 7th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Brett,

Welcome to the forum. If the lameness is getting worse or not rapidly resolving, it will be necessary to take him to the veterinarian and likely have one or two radiographs. At his age, it may be something simple like some arthritis which became aggravated, but it may also be something more.

For right now, rest and use of glucosamine, MSM and chondroitin (go on the light side of a human dose for a large lab) may be beneficial. The glucosamine, MSM, chondroitin usually comes as a combination and can be found at any grocery store or at the pet store in a chewable form.

I would recommend against any 'pain killers' like aspirn, advil, etc... They will have stronger side effects in dogs and may interfere with many of the medications that your veterinarian may want to prescribe.

I hope that helps.

Jim Hall
April 7th, 2008, 05:54 PM
i would give him a day or so and see if he gets better my ;ab used to do that often they stress the shoulder joint every once in a while trying to corner

bperiard
April 7th, 2008, 06:01 PM
thank you both. I will give him til tomorrow, if he doesnt get better, I will take him in.

rainbow
April 7th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Good luck, Brett :fingerscr .......keep us posted. :goodvibes:

bperiard
April 7th, 2008, 08:06 PM
some further analysis: I stood behind him as he was sitting up. when I lifted his front right leg there was some resistance and I can see a bone (knob) protrude from his right shoulder. when I did the same on the other leg, there was little resistance and I could not see the same bone, but i could feel it. so it wasnt protuding as far.

bperiard
April 7th, 2008, 10:34 PM
I'm now confident he has a dislocated shoulder. he is going in first thing tomorrow morning