Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can a 7-month-old golden retriever go jogging with me?

bluesunshine
April 7th, 2008, 11:21 AM
She is 40 lbs, will turn 7 month in the middle of April. I want to take her runing with me, but I read somewhere that large breed dog under 18month old shouldn't run too long because their body is still developing.....My question is: how long is too long? Can I take her jogging with me without hurting her legs?

Thank you for any advise....

Longblades
April 7th, 2008, 01:36 PM
My Lab's breeder would say NO! Have you heard of the 5 minute rule? It's a good guideline for puppy exercise. 5 minutes per month of age. It's meant to apply to leashed road work, I believe, and the exercise can be given twice a day. Free play in the backyard doesn't count towards it. And at that young age, before the growth plates have joined, which won't happen till maybe 14 months or so, no jogging with you.

bluesunshine
April 8th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Thank you Longblade for the info! No, I haven't heard of the 5 minutes rule before.....I only heard that golden retriever needs lots of exerices, to burn their energy...so now, I am taking her for a 45 minutes walk daily,,,,so, based on this 5 minute rule, it's too much!

shelleyb
April 8th, 2008, 12:28 PM
we were told not to run our golden (on sidewalks, paths, etc) until she was a year old.

She'll be 2 in July and I have no intentions of running with her but that has more to do with how she is on leash (pull-y,).

bluesunshine
April 8th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Gee, I have no idea.....thank you guys! My husband has been taking her for a short run from time to time....now I have to tel him to STOP!

lucyferlucille
April 9th, 2008, 12:18 AM
The 5 minute rule per month is a general guideline! You need to take into account the ground surface and weather conditions. I don't think a 5 minute slow jog will hurt.