Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

chipped tooth

boxerdog
April 6th, 2008, 11:08 PM
hello, my 1 year old boxer chipped his tooth, front bottem canine, it doesn't seem to be affecting him, he still has an appetite, he still plays with his toys, and still chew's on rawhide bones, the back part of the tooth looks like it's missing the enamal, he also lets me touch the tooth and rub it with a tooth brush, should i be concerned, is his tooth hurting him? is there something i could try to see if he's in pain, will it get infected ? please any knowlegde on this matter would be appreciated!! the tooth has not bleed to my knowledge, there's no red or black dots on the tooth, top of the tooth looks like a different shade of white,.

Amee
April 6th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Hi and Welcome. I would take him to the vet if possible. If you can brush it without it bothering him then he's probably fine right now but do take him to the vet when you can.

dmc123
April 7th, 2008, 06:25 PM
I also recommend a visit to the vet. My dog Rudy had a chipped front top tooth, that was not discovered until his regular vet visit. I have no idea how long it had been there since he ate well, etc. He was having some higher liver levels and they are lower now that we had that tooth pulled and along with meds.

Not sure if it was totally related, but I would've had it taken care of if I had known it was chipped. I just never noticed it as it was one of the little ones in the front.

Also have one cat, who broke his lower canine tooth. The vet said it looked ok, just to keep a watch on it. So far so good.

Still, recommend that you get it checked out.

Diane