Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Introducing 2 Female Cats

TheSaint
April 6th, 2008, 08:08 PM
I have moved in with my fiancee several weeks ago and things have been pretty smooth. I initially separated the cats keeping my cat in a bedroom and letting her run free after putting my fiancee's cat in the basement.

After several weeks now, we decided to introduce the 2 cats tonight via a baby barrier so they could look at each other with no physical contact.

That seemed like a disaster. My cat seemed ok at first until she walked towards the barrier and started hissing. My fiancee's cat who is timid and moody responded with hissing. My cat charged the barrier and I thought she was going to try to jump it. I grabbed her and she freaked out. My cat ran upstairs after I yelled at her. What a friggin disaster. Scared the living daylights out of me and my fiancee. I am very afraid for my fiancee's cat. She is older (10) and front paws are declawed. My cat is 5 and a bundle of dynamite. Much tougher and stronger than my fiancee's cat. I was really shocked that she would charge the barrier like that considering she is the new cat in the house.

Would appreciate any advice. Are there Cat Whisperers in NJ? Is there perhaps a clinic where we could take the 2 cats to have them professionally trained to either like or deal with each other?

Thanks again for any help.

Cheers
Ty

sugarcatmom
April 6th, 2008, 08:50 PM
You might want to read this info on introducing cats and start over from the beginning: http://www.catsinternational.org/articles/getting_a_cat/good_introduction.html

Just take it slow, and anytime the interaction gets aggressive, go back to the previous stage for a little while.

Throughout the introduction process, speak quietly and calmly to the cats. Praise them generously when they are tolerant of each other's presence. Never scold or use harsh tones when they are together or they will associate unpleasantness with being near each other. Give special attention to the resident cat as it is this cat's territory that is being invaded and it is this old friend who is likely to need the most reassurance. Until they become friends, give the new cat loving attention only when the resident cat is not around.

duttypaws
April 9th, 2008, 05:50 PM
thats an interesting read... i will be introducing cat number two to the house pretty soon and well she is used to sharing with a lot of cats in an open room... as for lola :frustrated: she seems to like being the queen... it will take time!