Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

worries for dog that isnt mine

xoxo
April 6th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Hi there,

Ive recently come to the states (im english) and I am living with someone who has a dog with a UTI infection (im assuming this at the moment)

The owner is not able to afford treatment and this has been going on for over a month, i think tablets from somewhere (not sure) are on order.

Im very concerned about this dog as shes bleeding through her urine but im also new to this country, not sure how things work here and im also aware that the responsibility of this dog does not lie with me.

Having said that id like to ask for any advice from people about this matter so me and my other housemate could help maybe get this fixed for the dog who is in the meantime suffering.

Thank you

xoxo

luckypenny
April 6th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Welcome to pets.ca, xoxo :) . I think that is very kind of you and your room mate to think of this dog. Is there a veterinarian clinic nearby where you live? She needs to see a vet in order to be prescribed anti-biotics (if it is indeed an infection). It would help if you can bring in a urine sample at the same time.

xoxo
April 6th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Thank you so much for replying

Im sure there is a clininc nearby but my roomate (there are 3 of us) who owns the dog, cannot afford treatment and when i suggested callling a dog charity to see if they could help she was concerned that the dog would be taken from her. (which to be honest i think would probably be the best option as she clearly isnt responsible enough to financially care for an animal)
I have many angry opinions about this as i feel bad for the dog but i dont want to go into that on this forum.

I and my 3rd roomate (who is american but unsure of how to deal with this also) are just very concerned for this animal as it has now been over a month.

I do not want see this dog suffer anymore but would like to think i dont have to shell out hundreds of $ for something that has nothing to do with me.

luckypenny
April 6th, 2008, 06:45 PM
I don't know about where you live, but here, a consultation with a vet is about 35-65$. A urinalysis is approximately 30$. You can ask the vet to write out a prescription for you (for the anti-biotics) and you can have the prescription filled at a regular pharmacy instead of having the vet sell you the medication instead (much cheaper at a pharmacy). If it is a urinary tract/bladder infection, the medication shouldn't cost more than 20$ or so.

I'm guessing it will cost about 100-120$ in all. The trick is to not buy the anti-biotics through the vet (as some charge up to 10x the amount a pharmacy would).

xoxo
April 6th, 2008, 06:51 PM
hi,

I live in new york.

So basically we could just take the dog into any clinic and get the vet to write out a prescription for whatever the dog may need then go somewhere else to pick up the medication?

luckypenny
April 6th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Yes, although most vets will not tell you this.

I suggest you get out a phone book and find several vets in your area. Call and ask how much they charge for a consultation and urinalysis. When you decide on a vet, make an appointment rather than just dropping in (avoids a long wait as well as any 'extra' emergency drop-in fees).

xoxo
April 6th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Thank you for you help xxx very much appreciated xx

Purpledomino
April 6th, 2008, 07:02 PM
I commend you for caring about the welfare of this dog. By the sounds of it she is suffering, and if you have ever had an UTI, you can surely understand this poor girls pain.

Sometimes people need to be convinced that treatment is necessary...and I firmly believe that funds can be found if you try hard enough. To be quite blunt, she should be beg, borrowing or stealing (;)) in order to get her dog the help she needs. Your roomate also needs to know that if she doesn't do this, her dog's health may deteriorate or her condition may worsten...making this an even more serious and expensive thing to treat.

I understand your situation is awkward, but if she cannot afford a relatively reasonable vet visit, she should not have the dog. It's not fair to her, and frankly IMO, cruel to let a dog suffer because of an owners financial situation.

Maybe some friends can come together and pitch in to help, or loan her the funds. I hope it works out for the dogs sake. Good luck. :fingerscr

badger
April 6th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Does she not realize that her dog is in pain? Anyone who has ever had a urinary infection so bad they are peeing blood knows the agony.

If you tell us where you are, we could give you the names of some rescue groups in your area. Even if she were unwilling to give the dog up, they might be able to give you some advice on how to handle the situation.

Right now, taking the dog to the vet yourself is your only option, other than reporting her to the authorities. Not providing care for a sick dog is abuse in many jurisdictions and may indeed lead to the dog being seized. And she would deserve it.

I don't know your situation or how willing you are to confront her.
Poor dog, this is just so sad :sad.

luckypenny
April 6th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Xoxo, will you please come back to let us know how the vet visit goes and how the dog is doing?

xoxo
April 6th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Hi everyone,

I completely agree with everyones opinions on this IMO dogs should not be kept in small apartments let alone by people who cannot care for them.

Im not sure of how what the owner intends to do with this, personally i couldnt care less im just bothered about this dog!! i know she spoke to some people about this and has ordered some tablets from somewhere although god knows what they are!

but my point is the dog should bee seen as this has gone on for over a month. god knows what she could have,

The dog blatently needs to see a vet though as shes bleeding and this weekend there has been a larger amount in her urine which is why im trying to get this sorted with my other housemate who is also concerned.

Thank you to everyone who has offerd advice.

Frenchy
April 6th, 2008, 07:19 PM
im trying to get this sorted with my other housemate who is also concerned.

Thank you so much for caring for this poor dog ! I don't know about your financial situation but if this dog owner doesn't have any money , maybe you and your roomates could help , for this time. And I would suggest , next time she doesn't have any money to care for her dog , she should surrender this dog to a rescue so they can find a family who would take better care.

Again , thank you so much for caring !