Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pugsley had his first doggie class

Kashi
April 6th, 2008, 06:32 AM
Yesterday, we took Pugsley to his first obedience class.
I went in fully expecting him to be the 'example' of what not to do, but it really was not that bad.
He enjoyed being around the other dogs, and mostly wanted to play.

We're using treat/bribe training, but the trainer said she'll be showing us how to wean off the need for treats.

Pugsley already sits on command, so we had that part already.
"Watch Me" was new to me, but he seems to do okay with that - he'll even do it for the kids if they've got treats.
"Leave it / Take it" is going to take some work though.
"Come" is different too - on leash, with a full 30 seconds of praise and treats to reinforce it.

Anyhow - we had fun, I'm so glad the kids were able to come in to the class (they stayed for a little over 1/2 the class before Daddy took them out because the littlest one was fussing), and the kids see the commands as a game to play with Pugs.

Now, while I realize that pet store based training programs are not highly recommended by some, we had to go with what we could afford - which was topping out at the amount of the pet-care insurance check we got back from Pugsley's exam and shots (just over $100), so we went with a pet store based program who had a trainer that had been willing to answer my multitude of questions prior to signing up, and who is familiar with Asperger's Syndrome (which my son has, and can make him a handful to deal with).

So, we're going to a class at our local Petcetera, with trainer Brenda Lowry (http://www.cappdt.ca/Details/jpage/1/p/details/content.do?id=9343) who is part of "The Canadian Association of Professional Pet Dog Trainers"

luckypenny
April 6th, 2008, 06:41 AM
That's great Kashi :thumbs up !

What a wonderful way to have fun with the family! If you can, encourage the kids and hubby to practice what they've learned at home.

As for the trianing classes, as long as the trainer uses positive reinforcement methods (and not rough corrections), I think Pugsly will do well there.

Kashi
April 6th, 2008, 07:51 PM
I didn't actually see ANY corrections used at all - rough or otherwise.

And it was actually a lot of fun. I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting, but honestly - fun was not it. :shrug:

Definitely a pleasant surprise.

allymack
April 6th, 2008, 08:05 PM
i was so excited to go to my first training class with enzo i thoguth it was going to be a bblast, the first one wasnt, but after the second i always looked forward to it. it sounds like you are going to do a gera job on training him.