Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Jaw Clapping

derickc
April 6th, 2008, 05:56 AM
Hi All,
My dog's (a bullmastive) lower jaw is clapping constantly. He sometimes lay with his head on the ground to stop this then the mussles on top of his head is contracting and releasing all the time. By jaw clapping I mean he lower jaw goes up and down all the time. His teeth hit so hard that you can hear it from a distance. Any Ideas.

Thanks for a great Forum.

Derick

Winston
April 6th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Derykc welcome..not sure what this could be! Have you seen a vet? What did they say?

Cindy

derickc
April 6th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Thanks for your reply, we are not close to a vet and do most of the treatment ourselfs. The dog is in good condition, eating and with energy. I noticed some sores on his cheeks, do not know if this is related.

allymack
April 6th, 2008, 07:48 AM
i really am not sure what this could be. if it is possible you should take him to the vet soon.

Winston
April 6th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Is it possible to consult with a vet? doesnt sound like something to leave? I am wondering if the jaw moving that was is an indicator of the dog being in pain? Could it need some dental work? sores on the cheek??

Cindy

badger
April 6th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Have you looked in his mouth to see if there is any obstruction?
Are the sores on the inside of his cheek or outside? If outside, could they be from when he lays on the ground in an effort to control the spasms?
What happens when he eats?
Is there any chance he could have broken his jaw?

I would be damn worried. Anything to do with the head and neck has to be taken seriously. Plus the poor fellow must be so frustrated and perhaps even in pain - animals don't show pain willingly. I don't know how much experience you have, but I seriously doubt you can handle this yourself.

derickc
April 6th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Thanks for all your reply. Will get to a vet.

badger
April 6th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Good call, derickc. Please let us know what happens.