Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Chelsea is now a therapy cat!

CyberKitten
April 5th, 2008, 10:12 PM
We now have two therapy cats in the house- YY, a meezer and Chelsea, one of the famous Sphynx Girls. Posh Sphynx will have her very own assignment at my hospital!

Here are some pix to go along with that wonderful accomplishment - fopr which she and her sisters and Beau all received treats.

ancientgirl
April 5th, 2008, 10:22 PM
I'd love to be able to have one of mine be a therapy cat, but the only one who even remotely doesn't mind being held for longer than 10 seconds is Kiska, and even she gets wiggly.

Congratulations to Chelsea:D

onster
April 5th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Congrats Chelsea!!! :highfive:

growler~GateKeeper
April 5th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Congrats Chelsea :thumbs up & CK :highfive:

Chelsea will brighten up many lives w/her adorable face :lovestruck:

CyberKitten
April 6th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Thx Growler. YY is also a therapy cat with all her certificates so they will be a good pair working together I think.

KimandAutumn
April 6th, 2008, 11:34 PM
I had no idea there was such a thing as a therapy cat. How wonderful, you must be very proud.

The hospital will be very lucky to have her there. :lovestruck:

rainbow
April 7th, 2008, 12:49 AM
I am amazed that Chelsea is so relaxed sitting there with all the doggies....especially when you don't have any dogs yourself. :o

I bet her and YY help to make a lot of the little kids happy. :cloud9:

CyberKitten
April 7th, 2008, 01:08 AM
Oh, she is my serious little girl! But she has no doggies at home but she has cousin doggies. <g> My brother has that adorable chocolate lab we all love- the cats included - and they also have a lassa apsa. And my sister in Mtl has a cute little mutt- we don't know what he is exactly (Heinz 57), a rescued cutie I guess. He looks like well, it's hard to say, lol Part poodle, part sheep dog (only small), part terrier (maybe), pat cocker spaniel. Who knows and we don't much care. We just love him.

Since we (the cats, my bf and I dog sit) we have come to know some lovely dogs - these 3 especially. I LOVE the chocolate lab and the kitties do too - he plays with them and is such a laid back dog. He like most labs needs to be with ppl so since meezers and Sphynx cats have similar traits, they all get underfoot at the same time. He lets them sit on top of him and is most understanding of them. He just is the kindest dog I have ever known - and I myself have had wonderful dogs but this one is just AMAZING, really! He is big but thinks I swear sometimes that he is the same size as the kitties and will follow them. It can be quite crowded in bed at night, rofl The sphynx girls especially love him for all that fur he has- they need no sweaters when big lab cousin is around, lol (The 3 cats, Beau being the newest , is still a bit unsure of crawling next to a lab for safety and warmth but we he is getting there.) And Spenser - the H dog, is small so he fits right in as well. The lassa apsa was my brother's wife dog before they married and he has lots of lassitude and barks more than the other two who rarely ever bark. (I may have heard "my" lab bark three times since he was a baby and he is now 9 yrs old! He barked when I was mowing the lawn and he thought he should be running with me. It was less of a bark than a request. Also when I gave him a bath, he expressed his displeasure with a bark as in "OK, that's enough", lol But he has never barked at another living being- he'd make a VERY poor watch dog. He'd invite the intruder in and share his bone with them. Once, after watching a show about that stupid test (since proven not that good) about taking a bone from a dog to see if he is food aggressive, I snatched his bone I had just bought him a the Butcher Shop we go to. he just waited for me to put it back and looked up at me as if I was a little nuts. I taught YY to beg" and IO swear he and YY are teaching the Sphynx Girls, lol

So, while they do not live with these dogs, they do see them a fair amt, esp this year with my dad so ill. Also, my sister was doing research in Vienna so her dog stayed with us for a month. A cousin who lives in Mtl took him for a bit but he has two border collies (one brought back from Ireland and they are named ever so originally Mick and Paddy, lol) and they did not care for the interloper that much so he was brought to his aunt and the kitties who appreciated his antics much mire. he does tend to get my usually well behaved (Hah!) cats into trouble tho.

TeriM
April 7th, 2008, 03:16 AM
Congrats to Chelsea and you :thumbs up. Therapy animals are wonderful and so helpful to those patients (and staff) that are lucky enough to encounter them :angel:.

loopoo
April 7th, 2008, 04:22 PM
congrads to her that is amazing she is beauty.. so regal and calm looking too:lovestruck:

growler~GateKeeper
April 8th, 2008, 01:55 AM
It's great that YY & Chelsea will be able to work together too!! :highfive:

Love4himies
April 8th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Way to go Chelsea :thumbs up. And she sits so calmly on your lap while all those dogs are watching her:eek:. What a good kitty.

luckypenny
April 10th, 2008, 09:12 AM
You must be so proud, CK :thumbs up . What do all the dog owners say when they see you with a therapy cat?

CyberKitten
April 10th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Actually, many of the dog owners had never seen a Sphynx kity before so they were interested in that. They did know cats are often used in therapy so that was not an issue. They all really liked Chelsea - and they all had perfectly obedient and adorably friendly pooches. Chelsea liked them all and they all seemed to get along with her. Of course a therapy cat or dog has to be calm and has to be able to cope with loud noises, screaming children or adults, any manner of situations and they learn some ways of handling this during the course, and yo know sometimes, I think might be applied to cats or dogs who need help themselves - ie pets who are afraid of such things as thunder and so forth or are hyper for one reason or another. Then again, some animals are just like that and still are fine, just not into therapy. Like my deceased poodle - as friendly and outgoing as he was, he just would not have made it in therapy! Playing with kids, yes - therapy and quiet calm cuddling at THE right time, no.

Frenchy
April 10th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Posh Sphynx
:laughing: Posh as in the Spice Girls ? :laughing:
I am amazed that Chelsea is so relaxed sitting there with all the doggies....

I'm amaze too !

Congratulation Chelsea and CK !!! :highfive: