Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bernese Mountain Dog's Eating Habits

shamrockyyz
June 23rd, 2004, 11:51 PM
We have a beautiful, healthy 14 mth old male Bernese Mountain Dog. For the past 2 months, his eating has been sporadic - sometimes he'll polish off his morning meal and evening meal as soon as its served; other days, he barely touches his food but drinks alot of water. He seems fine otherwise - playing in our big backyard, going for walks, playing with his toys inside the house. Could it be a growth spurt he's going through? We have tried taking his food away 20 mns or so after its served to try to get him to eat when the food is there in front of him but that hasn't always worked. He just seems to be inconsistent with his eating. Any ideas?

Luba
June 24th, 2004, 12:15 AM
I would discuss it with your vet.

Excessive drinking can be clinical signs of disease like diabetes, pancreatitis, cancer, etc...

He's young and should have a better appetite. Have you switched foods? How often do you feed and how much, what type dry or canned?

Have you tried not feeding right away in the morning. Perhaps go for a little walk outside first, then give a small meal when you return.

I wonder if maybe he's just not hungry or perhaps even has an upset tummy.

skating
July 3rd, 2004, 08:08 PM
Hey!

How are you enjoying your Bernese? I have two Bernese - one will be 3 in the end of August and one is just a year. By all means, check with your vet. We have found with our two that some days they'll eat two bowls of food, and the next day, have only a mouthful. They're both completely healthy, and full of energy with no medical problems. We serve them free choice dog food and always have fed our dogs this way. This actually seems to work well with Bernese who can be stubborn and like to do things their way. Maybe your little guy is just trying to tell you "I don't want to eat right now and you can't make me!" They can be little brats! :) Let me know how it goes!