Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog gagging/coughing

Jubey
April 5th, 2008, 08:29 PM
My miniature Pinscher is 9 years old, she has been gagging/coughing for almost a year now. I wasn't too alarmed at first because it wasn't happening too often, but now, it is happening daily and frequently. I am always at home, so I am able to watch her and I have noticed there seems to be no pattern as to why or when this is happening. The only reason I can think of would be that a year ago I had tried using a material choker collar on her to prevent her from pulling, I tried the chain link ones before and it irritated her. Unfortunately, the idea didn't work, she ended up pulling just as much but was choking herself to the point where she would nearly pass out due to lack of oxygen. It didn't take me long to put her regular collar back on her which she is using now. When she is gagging, it sounds like a cat coughing up a hairball but nothing comes up.
Thank you for your time

Dr Lee
April 5th, 2008, 08:59 PM
A few thoughts...

First, I would recommend a visit with your veterinarian. Chronic coughing can have a wide range of causes such as collapsed trachea, laryngeal paralysis, heartworms, allergic bronchitis, immune mediated diseases, fungal, cardiac (heart) diseases, etc.... A complete physical exam, radiographs and some routine blood tests to make sure everything is okay would be a good idea. Some of these can be easy to manage and others are important to diagnose early.

Also, if you are concerned that the collar may be worsening the cough, have you tried a harness? This works well for many of my clients.

Good luck. I hope this helps. :pawprint:

Jubey
April 5th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Thank you for your response, I will be taking her to the vet as soon as I am financially able. The collar she has on now seems to be working well for her, when she pulls she doesn't choke anymore and it isn't on too tight. I had tried the harness but it irritated her coat/skin causing a rash. I just think that maybe the choker experience had caused permanent damage. Thank you for your advice it has been very helpful:)