Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

tail chasing

jackiep
April 5th, 2008, 02:19 PM
All of a sudden one of our indoor cats has started to chase his tail and bite at it not to hard. He never goes out so it's not as if he's picked up something from outside any ideas why he is all of a sudden doing this he is 4 yrs old and never done this before.

ancientgirl
April 5th, 2008, 02:25 PM
My two 8 month old kittens do that now and then. I don't think it's anything to worry about unless it's something that happens obsessively.

You might want to wait for some of the others though. They've got cats who are older than mine, and can probably tell you if theirs do it too, since your cat is 4.

dustybird
April 5th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Sounds like he/she has just discovered the fun that can be had with the elusive tip of the tail. My one cat who is going to be seven does this on occasion out of the blue. Not everyday but enough to know it's a normal thing for him. He always does it in the kitchen and it's hilarious. He sits there and watches the tip of his tail out of the corner of his eye, then yells at it and then tries to pounce on it...but pulls it out of the way and ends up going in circles. Stops and starts all over again in the other direction..he teases himself to by just wiggling the tip. This goes on for a minute or two and then runs around the house like something is after him making all sorts of funny noises.

A lot of cat's do it and some dogs to, I don't know why. If he/she looks like they're playing and not trying to hurt themself then I wouldn't worry. They discover new things at any age just like people do. Mine didn't do it as a kitten I think he was around 2 when he stared.

jackiep
April 5th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Thanks a lot I feel better now knowing it's quite normal.

badger
April 5th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Since he is beyond kittenhood and only started doing this recently, I would have a good look at his tail and feel it up for lumps or bites. The base of the tail also can be a sensitive area. You never know, there might be a 'method to his madness'.