Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help needed

germormal
April 5th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Hello,

I have a Golden Retriever, she is a year and 3 months old. She is a really nice dog, but she doesn't stop destroying everything I have. From the bed, pillows, sofas, tennis shoes, chairs, just anything she has in front she will destroy it.

This mostly occur when I'm not home, but sometimes even when I'm sleeping she will have fun with something.

She has a lot of toys, bones to chew on. And i take her out to run 3-4 times a week for like one hour each time.

I just don't what else I can do.

She's even afraid of me, sometimes she doesn't want to get close to me, because she thinks I'm going to punish her or yell at her.

What I find interesting is that when she does something bad, she goes and punish herself alone, and she sits in a corner until i call her. Most of the times when I arrive home, she will be sitting in that corner and she didn't do anything bad, so I would cheer her up and pet her, but most of the times there will be stuff destroyed, and I'm going crazy. So she actually knows that she's doing something bad, but still do it.

If anybody can help me or give me some tips about this, it would be really great.

Thanks for reading and for your time.

Gerardo M

Sylvie
April 5th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Hi there

My first question, is she crate trained???

Sylvie

allymack
April 5th, 2008, 01:04 PM
yepp a crate would be a good idea for her, she cant handle being out right now, if you need any crate training tip, you'll find the best ones here. also she needs to be taken out more the 3-4 times a week for exercise, she needs atleast 45 mins a day, of good fast paced walking or going for a run. Maybe you can have a dog sitter come in and take her for a walk on the days you cant. Also you should try a frozen peanut butter kong for when you leave her. Just get a kong..put peanut butter in it and put it in the freezer and when your just about to leave, take it out of the freezer and give it to her. hope this helps.if you have any questions you can pm me :)

Amee
April 5th, 2008, 01:10 PM
I agree with everything allymack said, I was actually going to say the same thing:D

MIA
April 5th, 2008, 01:11 PM
How much exercise is she getting??

badger
April 5th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Plus you need to stop yelling at her or punishing her. Reward good behaviour instead.

germormal
April 5th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Hello,

I don't understand the crate training thing, if you could explain it a little bit that would be great since English is not my first language there are some things I don't understand.

I know about the exercise, but I take her out as much as I can, since I work around 14 hours a day I only have time during lunch, but I'll try to take her out more.

I've heard about the kong with something inside, but never actually thought it would work, I'll give it a try.

And about a dog-sitter I don't think theres any around where I live but I'll check with local vets. There's a place where she had her basic training, sit, stay etc... where they pick up your dog, and she plays with other dogs etc.. every day, like a kindergarten, but it's called kindercan :P I can't remember the price, but that would be a good idea I think.

Anyway, thanks for the tips, and if you have another one, please let me know.

Gerardo

germormal
April 5th, 2008, 04:10 PM
One more question. Am I supposed to fill the whole kong, or just a part of it. Thanks.

Amee
April 5th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Yes doggy daycare is great for dogs and your dog would probably love it. I fill the far end of the kong with treats and then put peanut butter at the end to hold the treats in there. As far as the crate thing goes put her in the crate with the kong and a couple other toys. If you don't have a crate you can get one at any pet store, Wal-Mart or any of those kind of places.

TinaMcq
April 5th, 2008, 08:17 PM
A crate is a is a cage for your dog. You keep your dog in there with toys and water the whole time your gone it will save your belongings. A kong comes with something you can put in it the first time I got my dog peanut butter filling he really enjoys that........Good luck try crateing the dog you will see a big difference, the dog will whine and cry at first start by putting him in for short periods when he stops whining then take him out. I got my crate on a Saturday and on Monday he was in there for the full day, each dog is different gl............

allymack
April 6th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Hello,

I don't understand the crate training thing, if you could explain it a little bit that would be great since English is not my first language there are some things I don't understand.

I've heard about the kong with something inside, but never actually thought it would work, I'll give it a try.

And about a dog-sitter I don't think theres any around where I live but I'll check with local vets. There's a place where she had her basic training, sit, stay etc... where they pick up your dog, and she plays with other dogs etc.. every day, like a kindergarten, but it's called kindercan :P I can't remember the price, but that would be a good idea I think.

One more question. Am I supposed to fill the whole kong, or just a part of it. Thanks.

the crate is just a cage you can put her in while you are gone, you can give her a kong then. she wil lmostly like whine and bark when you first put her in it but what ewver you do, dont let her out, she will wear herself out afetr a little bit, and if not, you can put a blanket over it, which will help to calm her down. when you are getting one, go to a petstore and ask them to show you the crate and then tell them what kind of dog you have so they can help you pick out the right size for her.

For a dog sitter if there are any teenagers aroung you, you could get them to come in every day after school and walk her for a while and just pay them at the end of the week. Doggy daycare is a great place to take your dogs, it really helps them socialize (if needed) and it is great exercise for them.

With the kong you can fill it part or totally full, i put peanut butter in it and put a treat in it,( we have large milkbones so the fit perfectly) make sure to get one big enough for her mouth. Also another thing i do for summer, or when he has his kong out side it put peanut butter at the bottom hole and put it in the freezer and while that hardens up i mix water and a little bit of chicken bovril together. i take the kong out of the freeze and pour th chicken water in to it and i put the kong upside down(so the big hole is up) in to a cup so all of the water doesnt spill out, after a while it is frozen and they love it.

MIA
April 6th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Your dog is very young still and needs lots of exercise so if you can get a dog walker or as others say a teenager in your area who can take her out. That's why she is destroying things, she's bored.... 3-4 times a week is not enough, she needs more!!!!

Sylvie28
April 6th, 2008, 01:42 PM
From my experience, usually dog start settling down by around 2 to 3 y.o.