Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Catch 22

jealma
April 5th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Socalization of ones pet? I have read over and over that your pup learns this in the first 3 months, that it's very important,, for the pup to meet lots of different people and to socialize with lots of other animals,,, but my vet says she is not to be around other animals till all her shots are done. She'll be 4 months when that happens,, So how can I do both thing?

allymack
April 5th, 2008, 10:04 AM
yes, socialization is really important when they are young, If you know anybody who has a dog that is healthy, is up to date on their shots and are in a place where your pup isnt likely to get a diesease (like down at a boarwalk or in the woods [lime diesease] or at a dog park [un vaccinated dogs]) then it should be ok, thats what i had to do with my dog, and we had to have an extra 10 days on top of the normal amount because he had bloody stools. if the otehr dog is healthy there isnt a way your dog could get sick from them, also make sure you dog has no contagious diesease either, so your pup doesnt make the other sick. hope this helps.:)

jealma
April 5th, 2008, 10:16 AM
That is what I had thought too, but when I told my vet I wanted to take my pup to my son's with me,, ( he has a black lab and a great dane) and they are both healthy and up to date in shots. He said no. If the vet didnt' want me taking her to his place where I know the dogs and I feel is safe I figured he ment all other dogs?

sugarcatmom
April 5th, 2008, 11:01 AM
I think your vet is being silly. You might want to read this: http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/puppy-classes

"The vet says our puppy is too young for class."

Understandably, veterinarians care about the physical health of their patients. Common and serious infectious diseases such as parvovirus and distemper are a big concern with young puppies, which require a series of immunizations to produce solid immunity. A puppy's risk of infection depends on his level of immunity and the infectiousness of the environment.

A puppy's acquired immunity increases with successive immunizations to around 70–75 percent immunity by three months of age and approximating 99 percent immunity at five months of age. Different environments range from relatively safe to extremely hazardous. But no animal is 100 percent immune to disease, and no environment is 100 percent safe. The safest environments are indoors (homes and puppy classes) and private outdoor property (fenced yards). Sidewalks and dog parks are potentially more hazardous and the two most hazardous areas are the ground outside of a veterinary clinic and the waiting room floor.

It is a sad fact of life that your puppy is always at risk. For example, dried feces carrying parvovirus may blow in the wind and end up in your garden or home. Or a family member could step in infected urine and feces and track it through the home. The safest place for your young puppy is inside your home or fenced backyard. Keep him there until he is three months old and make sure to maintain routine hygiene and leave outdoor shoes outside. Your puppy has household manners to master and many pressing socialization exercises to do in the safety of your home before he is three months old. Other relatively safe places include your car and the homes and fenced yards of family and friends. So it is possible for your pup to begin to safely explore the world at large. Just remember to carry him between house and car.

Puppy classrooms are pretty safe places, since only vaccinated puppies are present and the floors are regularly cleaned and sterilized. However, I would still recommend carrying the pup between car and class until he is four months old. Luckily, the breeds that sometimes have immunity problems — Rotties and Dobies, for example — are slow developers, and it is fine to delay starting class until they are four months old. I actually prefer bigger, slower-maturing dogs to start class at four months so that adolescent problems can be dealt with while the dog is still in class. Otherwise, if a big dog starts class at three months of age, he will graduate at four-and-a-half months and the owner is still under the misapprehension that they are living with a teddy bear.

I would similarly advise to delay taking your puppy to dog parks or for walks in public places frequented by other dogs (and may be contaminated with a variety of viruses and other infectious agents) until he is at least four or five months old. You can always practice leash-walking around your house and yard before performing in public, and you should be inviting people to your house on a regular basis.

I would strongly advise that a puppy not be put on the waiting room floor or on the ground outside of a veterinary clinic until he is at least five months of age. Until then, carry your puppy from your car directly to the examination table.

Physical health concerns are important but do remember, that your puppy's physical health is only part of the picture. Psychological and behavioral health are equally as important. Very few puppies actually die from parvovirus (especially if treated), whereas thousands of dogs are routinely euthanized because of behavior and temperament problems. Indeed, behavior problems are the dog's most common terminal illness during his first year of life. And just as a developing puppy needs immunizations against infectious diseases, he also requires social and educational "immunizations" to prevent him from developing behavior and temperament problems. For all-around health, a young puppy must receive immunization against disease, but he must also get out to friend’s houses and puppy classes and eventually on walks to dog parks as soon as possible.

allymack
April 5th, 2008, 11:59 AM
yes, i think your pup if definately fine to take to your brothers, i mean since they are healthy i dont see there being any problems...

Amee
April 5th, 2008, 01:33 PM
I asked our breeder and our vet about this and they said as long as the dogs are up to date on their shots it's fine.

jealma
April 5th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Thank you.. I think this time I"ll go with us, the public. I can't see how she can pick up anything from a healthy dog that is up to date on their shots either..

Longblades
April 5th, 2008, 09:26 PM
If your puppy is young perhaps the Vet's concern was the other dogs are too big and might inadvertently hurt yours? Even a large breed puppy could be badly hurt by a dog the size of a Lab and a Dane slamming into them. Play between them should be carefully supervised.

Longblades
April 5th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Yes, she can pick up something from another dog, even if it is fully vaccinated. Parvo is the obvious culprit, another dog could be shedding it or pick it up on it's feet when it visits the dog park, or anywhere really. That said though, you can ask your son to not take his dogs to places where they might pick it up just before you visit. Parvo is not as common in many places as it was some years ago, your Vet should be able to provide you with incidence numbers for your area.