Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Short Question

Reality
April 5th, 2008, 09:11 AM
I know raw hide isn't good for your dog,, spliters and stuff,, so what is the general concenses on Pigs ears?

jealma
April 5th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Wish I could help but I have no idea. I didn't even know raw hide was bad for them, but than I"m a new puppy owner so I"m learnning a lot of stuff here. I'll keep checking to see if you get an answer, cause I'd like to know what would be best for my furbaby too.

brohnson
April 5th, 2008, 10:40 AM
i feed mine raw hide too, i never knew this tell now:shrug:

Reality
April 5th, 2008, 12:32 PM
as far as the rawhide goes I"ve heard people say dogs can break off a peice and get it stuck in their throuts. Perhaps I"m wrong, just something I have read. Still would like to know if Pigs Ears are ok, or if there is something else that might appeal to my dog as much

Amee
April 5th, 2008, 01:29 PM
The problem with rawhide is a dog can't digest it properly and rawhides can contain salmonella bacteria, arsenic (used as a preservative), lead and insecticides. If you must give your dog rawhide don't give it to them often, make sure you keep a close eye on it and take any broken down parts off. Pigs ears are high in fat, high in protein and still contain a lot of extra junk. I have read and heard it is ok to give a dog 1 every couple days as a treat but not everyday. I hope that helps:D

jealma
April 5th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Thanks Amee it's not my post, but I wanted more information too.

Amee
April 5th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Your welcome, glad I could help.

allymack
April 6th, 2008, 07:53 AM
i heard that they only werent good for small dogs:shrug:

but and alternative for a rawhide is a Chew eez made by purina, you can give them to your dog as often as you like. my dog love them! i usually give him one each morning when i let him out on the deck, but as much as he loves them, he will only eat one, if i give him a second one, he goes off and hides it. also something else you could give you dog is a real bone, you can get then at a place like a meat shop or someitmes at a pet store. Make sure its a beef bone though as pork bone can crack in to really sharp tiny pieces and get stuck in their gums.

SnowDancer
April 6th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Just wanted to add, that should you find something in the fresh bone area (or smoked or whatever) it won't work if your dog turns into CUJO when he/she gets his mouth on one. I could see the glazing of my Eskie's eyes - and I tried it 3 times (my husband didn't believe me so a demo was in order). It sure was hard getting it away from him, but once I did, it was over. Eyes returned to "normal" and he had no idea how his behavior had changed. Thankfully. A week after my experience, I read of another Eskie's Mom identical experience - took 3 people, 5 pillows and half an hour to get it away from him. So he only gets normal cookies and he is pretty fast with them. I don't feed him Greenies, but the time he did have one he practically swalled it whole - 22 lb. dog with a BIG mouth.

Ford Girl
April 7th, 2008, 04:50 PM
as far as the rawhide goes I"ve heard people say dogs can break off a peice and get it stuck in their throuts. Perhaps I"m wrong, just something I have read. Still would like to know if Pigs Ears are ok, or if there is something else that might appeal to my dog as much

This is true, rawhide swells to 4 times its dry size when wet...i.e. inthe dogs stomache digesting, it can cause blockages and rips and tears inthe stomache lining. Raw hide is bad all around, not to mention how they bleach ir to be so white, or the dyes they use in the color ones. There are several healthy alternatives sich as real bones, raw or smoked, and Nylabones.

Pigs ears are basically junk food for dogs, like a Big Mac would be, they don't last long for a big dog, so it's alot of fat and calories for very little chewing time. I personally don't feed my dog these as it last 5 seconds, mine's a power chewer...

The problem with rawhide is a dog can't digest it properly and rawhides can contain salmonella bacteria, arsenic (used as a preservative), lead and insecticides. If you must give your dog rawhide don't give it to them often, make sure you keep a close eye on it and take any broken down parts off. Pigs ears are high in fat, high in protein and still contain a lot of extra junk. I have read and heard it is ok to give a dog 1 every couple days as a treat but not everyday. I hope that helps:D

Yes, agreed. All kinds of disinfectants and chemicals added to these, this includes the packed raw hide, beef, pork, colored or bleached.

i heard that they only werent good for small dogs:shrug:

but and alternative for a rawhide is a Chew eez made by purina, you can give them to your dog as often as you like. my dog love them! i usually give him one each morning when i let him out on the deck, but as much as he loves them, he will only eat one, if i give him a second one, he goes off and hides it. also something else you could give you dog is a real bone, you can get then at a place like a meat shop or someitmes at a pet store. Make sure its a beef bone though as pork bone can crack in to really sharp tiny pieces and get stuck in their gums.

ChewEez are ok, full of chemicals and dyes, an OK treat once and a while, as they are manifactured, they last minutes for power chewers - again not worth the calories/fat - chew time ratio, AND altho they say "raw hide alternative" on them, they sure don't last very long - not even close to raw hide.

Just wanted to add, that should you find something in the fresh bone area (or smoked or whatever) it won't work if your dog turns into CUJO when he/she gets his mouth on one. I could see the glazing of my Eskie's eyes - and I tried it 3 times (my husband didn't believe me so a demo was in order). It sure was hard getting it away from him, but once I did, it was over. Eyes returned to "normal" and he had no idea how his behavior had changed. Thankfully. A week after my experience, I read of another Eskie's Mom identical experience - took 3 people, 5 pillows and half an hour to get it away from him. So he only gets normal cookies and he is pretty fast with them. I don't feed him Greenies, but the time he did have one he practically swalled it whole - 22 lb. dog with a BIG mouth.

Agreed, dogs know the difference between a toy bone and a real, and you - as the leader need to ensure your dog can and will drop it on command, you cantake it fromthem without issue, and if they do react yoyu need to be prepared to respond accordingly. My dog is a resource gaurder, so I know first hand, I can tell by her body language, but I am in control of the bone, chewing time, and her enviroment. No real bones present if there are other dogs over, and real bones usually follow a good hard exercise so the edge or excitment is gone...

I would suggest raw or smokes, real bones, frozen or thawed, you can get them form any butcher, and they last a long time!!! Nyla bones work too, and they have soft and hard ones depending on the chewer. And a stuffed kong can help pass the time too!! :)

Reality
April 8th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Thank you all for the in put. I will drop by the butchers and see if I can pick up a bone for Tazz. Now the other thing I wonder is,, how long should I let this raw bone be around? I mean if it is not totally eatten, I don't want him eatting worms or anything off it.. after all it is meat, and it is raw.

luckypenny
April 8th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Most dogs don't have a problem with raw recreational bones, even when burried and dug up some time later. You can always place it in a plastic bag and freeze it until the next time you wish to give it to him. Personally, I feed my dogs their bones in their crates. It avoids any confrontation between them and prevents the guck from being dragged around the house. It also provides me an easy opportunity to remove it from them when I feel they've had enough (I used the "drop it" command and rewarded them with a piece of raw meat).

If you're going to feed large marrow bones for the first time, your pup may have runny stools for a bit caused by the fatty marrow. Nothing harmful in it, just wouldn't want you to worry about him having a reaction to the raw bone itself.

Reality
April 8th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Thanks, the in the crate suggestion is terrific,, I was kind of dreeding him dragging that thing in and around the house.

luckypenny
April 8th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Has your pup ever guarded food or toys from you? Even if not, it may be a good idea to prepare for it as dogs do love their raw bones. The first time we gave one to our Lucky, he went into a panic trying to run and hide with it. Now they are all eager to drop it when I say because they know they're gonna get a yummier treat.

Reality
April 8th, 2008, 01:15 PM
I can't say that I've had an issue over food, I've never actually had to take anything from him, BUT the phrase "DROP IT" is not in his verbal understanding. Good luck getting a ball or a stick from him. Your only hope is he drops it and you get to it first. He actually will drop it, just to race you to pick it up. Pulling it away is a joke. Tazz see's this as a pure challenge and has full intentions on not letting you ever win. He will even growl as if to say,, you don't have a change of winning cause I"m big and strong and mean,, grrrrr ( it doesnt' work cause I know the growl is balony) He's 10 has never bit or been aggressive but if you think you can get a ball from him, you have a lesson to learn

lucyferlucille
April 8th, 2008, 10:49 PM
I bought an 8" long Roll Over beef marrow bone 2 weeks ago for Lucy, my 9 month old Black Lab. It is a real beef bone with filling. Lucy still chews on it several times a day. It doesn't splinter. She could easily consume a 10" rawhide in an hour if I had let her before I got the Roll Over. I bought it at canadian tire but I also saw it at a local feed mill. I was really worried about the amount of rawhide needed to satisfy her chewing need. This bone seems to satisfy her.

happycats
April 9th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Welcome !! :)