Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Shelter dogs come with baggage

Love4himies
April 5th, 2008, 07:14 AM
I was out to our weekly neighbourhood get together last night and somebody mentioned that they are thinking about adopting a puppy. This guy is a senior and mentioned that he really didn't want to do through the puppy stage, training, etc again.

I then recommend he visit the local human societies and rescues to find a mature dog, and he said no way THEY COME WITH BAGGAGE!!!!!!!!:yell:

Well that did not go over well with me, and I had a few drinks in me, and I got upset, and told him not so at all. Then another person quipped up and said it was so!! And this after we sort of watch Oprah on the puppy mills????? I am afraid I didn't handle myself as well as I could have:o.

What do you say to these people who believe you only get dogs with behaviour issues that can't be corrected??

Kristin7
April 5th, 2008, 07:47 AM
I don't know, but I have adopted 2 shelter dogs and thought they were each the best dogs ever! Yes, they each had their 'issues', but are there really dogs with NO issues? Both of mine were older puppies when adopted but must have went through some bad stuff in their short lives... I can't say it was always easy, but I loved both of them dearly. I've found that with lots of love and some training, most issues such a dog has can be dealt with or even go away over time (like many of my Guinness' fears). I still have one of them, but the other unfortunately had CRF and other health problems so was young when she passed on. I don't think, though, that if I had instead got my puppies from a breeder, that necessarily means the animal is going to be healthier, will have no issues and live out a full long life. There are no guarantees. I suppose, if one gets a young puppy from a breeder, it will grow up and have issues that result at least in part from its upbringing, so if your neighbor's future dogs end up with issues, those issues are going to be their own fault. And what happens then, when their dogs are not 'issue free', do they dump the animal at a shelter and try again with a new pup?

otter
April 5th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Hmmm.... when I pack my bags I tend to bring my favourite things with me. Baggage can be really good! Most dogs with "baggage" come with house training, basic obedience, experience with multitudes of situations, and when they come with their baggage you know exactly what you are getting (i.e. you can see what is in their bags :D)

A puppy, on the other hand, you have no idea, they don't come with anything, just the coat on their back. Puppies from a breeder can tell you what is in their parents bags (and children tend to follow SOME of their parents packing habits) but otherwise a puppy has NOTHING, you never have any idea of what you are going to get.

Definitely a hard issue to discuss..... but don't give up on folks, I had a friend who thought the same and now she has adopted TWO rescues! (and loves them both - she adopted a puppy and an older dog, the puppy has had way more problems than the older dog :o)

Love4himies
April 5th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Definitely a hard issue to discuss..... but don't give up on folks, I had a friend who thought the same and now she has adopted TWO rescues! (and loves them both - she adopted a puppy and an older dog, the puppy has had way more problems than the older dog :o)

Thanks guys. My favourite cat of all time was from the shelter, I adopted him at 6 weeks old. He was also the one with the most issues.

The cat with the least amount of baggage, is Jasper, he was approx 5 years old when I adopted him from the shelter.

Most appreciative cat that I have had: Sweet Pea. Adopted her after fostering her and her kittens last year. She is forever showing her gratefulness.

Most spoiled and least human friendly: Puddles, adopted her at 11 weeks from a Himy breeder.

Hmmmm, should have mentioned this last night:o.

I think I may have gotten to this senior by telling him he needs to talk to the rescue and allow them to help find a dog whose personality matches their needs. Told him I have some sources that could probably get a few names of rep rescues ;) you will help me find one if I need to recommend one, wouldn't you

mastifflover
April 5th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Well I would rather have these shelter or rescue dogs with all there baggage, then giving my money to a byb or puppymill. I loved my dogs baggage and all and may I add the most loving and loyal dogs you could ever want to own. I have owned a few dogs from breeders and they have nothing on the love of a rescue or shelter baby. They appreciate everything you do for them and give back 100 times more

brohnson
April 5th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Well I would rather have these shelter or rescue dogs with all there baggage, then giving my money to a byb or puppymill. I loved my dogs baggage and all and may I add the most loving and loyal dogs you could ever want to own. I have owned a few dogs from breeders and they have nothing on the love of a rescue or shelter baby. They appreciate everything you do for them and give back 100 times more

right on with you there!!!!!!!!!:thumbs up

Frenchy
April 5th, 2008, 11:28 AM
What do you say to these people who believe you only get dogs with behaviour issues that can't be corrected??

You tell them that these dogs are not in shelters because they have issues , they got dumped there because their owners weren't responsable ones and think dogs are furnitures. These owners are the ones with behavior issues ;) and it's a good thing for them we don't have those type of shelters for humans.

All my dogs and cats are rescues , and I have fostered over 20 dogs in the past 3 years. 3 dogs from puppy mills , who never got human attention , 2 of them might have been abused. But they knew they had a second chance on life , and I swear these dogs (all of them , not only the puppy mills ones) are so thankful , all they want is to give you love back and please their new families.

ancientgirl
April 5th, 2008, 01:48 PM
I don't blame you for being upset. People come with baggage too, does that mean that we shouldn't ever give any person a chance too?

I think people who think that way are just naive and ignorant. They base their opinions only on what others might say. Please, I watch the Dog Whisperer, and a lot of the dogs he helps owners with aren't shelter dogs and they have baggage, so how do you explain that?

You all know I have cats, and they were all picked up at a vet's office with the exception of one. I got them all pretty much by chance. I highly suspect Maks to have had some kind of abuse, there are just little things I see in the way he acts. It doesn't make me love him any less, I deal with it. When you have a pet that you don't know where they came from or their background, it's just something you deal with and accept.

People use stupid excuses. Does this man even really want a dog? Maybe you should invite your neighbors to watch the Oprah puppy mill show. If any of them still want to buy a puppy from a pet store after that, I'd seriously wonder about if they had any kind of compassion.

Love4himies
April 5th, 2008, 01:54 PM

You tell them that these dogs are not in shelters because they have issues , they got dumped there because their owners weren't responsable ones and think dogs are furnitures. These owners are the ones with behavior issues ;) and it's a good thing for them we don't have those type of shelters for humans.

All my dogs and cats are rescues , and I have fostered over 20 dogs in the past 3 years. 3 dogs from puppy mills , who never got human attention , 2 of them might have been abused. But they knew they had a second chance on life , and I swear these dogs (all of them , not only the puppy mills ones) are so thankful , all they want is to give you love back and please their new families.

Thanks mastifflover and Frenchy, I will let them know what you said.

Love4himies
April 5th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Maybe you should invite your neighbors to watch the Oprah puppy mill show. If any of them still want to buy a puppy from a pet store after that, I'd seriously wonder about if they had any kind of compassion.

We had that on just before the discussion came up :wall::wall:

They think if they get a dog as a puppy they can change its personality, I don't believe that is true. They think if it was abused, not properly trained, it is untrainable. What about the success the rescue is having with M Vick's dogs? Oh I should have brought that up, duh, I always think of things too late.

ancientgirl
April 5th, 2008, 02:15 PM
We had that on just before the discussion came up :wall::wall:

They think if they get a dog as a puppy they can change its personality, I don't believe that is true. They think if it was abused, not properly trained, it is untrainable. What about the success the rescue is having with M Vick's dogs? Oh I should have brought that up, duh, I always think of things too late.

Crap, I misunderstood. I didn't think they had seen it. Sheesh, you'd think after watching that they'd not want to give those people any more incentive to keep puppy mills going.:sad:

Kristin7
April 5th, 2008, 04:02 PM
It's not too late, your neighbor doesn't have a new pup yet, right? I do have to say, though the bond I have with my cat, who I got as a kitten, not at a shelter (one of those 'accidental' litters), is the strongest, she has so much love in her eyes when she looks at me, it's totally sweet! However, she is a total princess!! My other shelter pets are sooo grateful to me for rescuing them. They know what is going on in the shelter, they know their lives are at risk and they they have been saved from death. That's what I believe, and my pets constantly confirm that to me. I know they know i have saved them and that they know they almost died in that place. I really don't think I'll ever get another pet from anywhere but a shelter. It breaks my heart knowing so many potentially awesome pets are put down every day simply because the shelter has no space, or the animal is the wrong color or that they are simply unwanted. That is the worst of all for me. :sad: Why are there so many unwanted pets? It's shameful, really. I hope your neighbor comes around. Either they weren't listening or didnt' care about Oprah's show, too bad, because although I didnt' see it, I had hopes that it would change how some think.

Frenchy
April 5th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Why are there so many unwanted pets?

Too many people breeding dogs .... and cats : let to roam outside when they're not spayed/neutered. :frustrated:

BusterKitty
April 5th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Never heard of this term used like this but what does "baggage" mean other than bags? >< Does it mean the bad "habits" that animals from shelters have to hold on to?

clm
April 5th, 2008, 06:14 PM
I've got news for people who think that shelter dogs come with baggage. All dogs have their own issues. Even the ones you get as puppies and raise yourself start packing their baggage as soon as you get em. All dogs are going to need some training, some are going to be aggressive, some submissive, some will hate other dogs, some won't like people. Regardless of where the dog comes from, whether it's got a trunk load of baggage or is just starting to pack, it makes no nevermind. You gotta be willing to work with it and an adult dog from a foster home or shelter, rescue group or a retired breeder is going to be a whole lot easier than all the training involved with a puppy.

Cindy