Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Poop issues

princessab
April 5th, 2008, 12:50 AM
We have a Beagle. He's a year and a half old. We got him when he was about 8 weeks old. For about as long as we've had him he's had these issues: when we take him on a walk he will have 5 or 6 bowel movements and the first one is normal, but then every time after that is liquid. The only time he has this problem is when we take him on walks. Does anyone know what is causing this and should we be concerned? Thanks

rainbow
April 5th, 2008, 01:36 AM
Are you saying that he poops 5 or 6 times EVERY time you take him for a walk? And, every time, the first poop is normal and the rest are diarrhea?

princessab
April 5th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Yes, that is what I'm saying. But it only happens when we walk him. At all other times his poops are normal looking.

Shaykeija
April 6th, 2008, 02:37 AM
Have you taken him to the vet yet? You can also feed him canned pumpkin (not the pie mix) this will help with the soupy poops.

rainbow
April 7th, 2008, 02:16 AM
I have never heard of a dog having that many bowel movements while he/she is out for a walk. What are you feeding him?

TeriM
April 7th, 2008, 02:20 AM
I agree with Rainbow, what are you feeding?

Loose poops during exercise is very common but the number of poops seems a bit extreme.

princessab
April 7th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Just his dog food. We buy 'Ol Roy from WalMart. We used to feed him a different brand, but switched thinking that would make a difference. ??

rainbow
April 7th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Ol' Roy is one of the worst brands on the market. You should not purchase any brand that you can get at the supermarket or places like Walmart. I would switch him to a premium holistic brand.....they are only available at small independent pet stores.

Here is a list of ingredients to avoid.....

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=badingredients

Click on the rest of the links on the left hand side of the page.....that website has excellent information.

Another website to read is http://www.dogaware.com/dogfeeding.html

There is also a lot of great information in this forum along with some good feeding recommendations. If you put your dog on a better quality kibble then you will have a healthier dog.

luckypenny
April 7th, 2008, 07:06 PM
What major cities are you closest to in WI, princessab? We could always direct you to several small independent pet stores, as Rainbow mentioned.

I too would say that I'd start with switching your pup to a better quality food. Ol'Roy is extremely inexpensive because of the lack of quality ingredients.

cockermother
April 8th, 2008, 12:37 AM
How long are you walking him for? My dog does something similar, where he'll poop maybe once or twice completely normally, and then if we keep walking, he'll just keep stopping to try, dropping nothing but small watery poos each time. The amount of times he "goes" is directly proportional to the amount of time he's out walking. To avoid constant poop patrol, I only let him go twice on any one walk, and then step up the pace: run, or jog so he doesn't have time to go again. I've become convinced it's just something he does because he can.... whether it's because he's out of urine to scent things with, or if he just feels that being out necessitates "going" as much as possible because walking time is "going" time.... who knows? He seems to suffer no ill effects at all from being prevented from going a third and fourth time.

Oh, and you should also make sure he's not swiping random sidewalk debris when you're not looking. That's how my dog gives himself the runs when I'm not fast enough to prise the offending piece of garbage buffet from his gaping maw....