Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sam's vet visit

Frenchy
April 4th, 2008, 08:14 PM
I took Sam to my vet today , just for a check up. It has been 3 months since his diagnose. He only lost 4 lbs so far so that's pretty good ! Everything else is good , despite the cancer , right now , he's in top shape. But what I thought were fatty lumps are in fact metastases. I didn't think about that at all. He has one inside one of his thigh and another one on the back of his hind leg. So my vet said Sam should go downhill fast and soon. I am not in denial , but IMO , we never know when these things are going to happen.

For now , Sam is doing very good. I got him 7 days worth of Deramaxx to see if this help with his back / hind legs. He has trouble getting back up , it's getting worse but doesn't mean it's cancer related. If he does feel better on it , we will do blood test to see if we can continue the Deramaxx. So no big news , but as I suspected , Sam is doing good despite his cancer.

Sam is very brave and extremely stoic , he's my :angel:

Frenchy
April 4th, 2008, 08:20 PM
I must add that I'm 100% sure that Sam is doing so good because of the raw diet. (couldn't have done this without LP's help !) My Daisy got sick very fast after her diagnose (same cancer as Sam) had one operation , lump came back and she left for Rainbow bridge 2 months after the lump came back. :rip: she was on kibble.

badger
April 4th, 2008, 08:20 PM
And you are his :angel:, Frenchy. I am sure his life has been lengthened because of your loving care.
:goodvibes:

breeze
April 4th, 2008, 08:37 PM
:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

:goodvibes::goodvibes:

from me and bree

hazelrunpack
April 4th, 2008, 08:56 PM
It sounds like he's doing a bit better than expected! That's good news. You're such a good mommy, Frenchy. :angel:

clm
April 4th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Nice to get an update on Sam. It's interesting to think that the raw diet has done so much for him and you had the foresight to give it a try. :thumbs up

Cindy

Frenchy
April 4th, 2008, 09:18 PM
clm , LP didn't gave me much of a choice but to put Sam on raw :laughing: she is helping a LOT with this because I simply couldn't afford to feed a 100 lbs dog with raw , you should see his meals. :cloud9: (dreamy for a dog I mean :D)

I have read that grains in kibble feed the cancer instead of feeding the dog. So you have to go with a no grains kibble (very expensive and not available in my area) or raw. Sam says he rather have raw :rolleyes:

rainbow
April 4th, 2008, 09:52 PM
clm , LP didn't gave me much of a choice but to put Sam on raw :laughing: she is helping a LOT with this because I simply couldn't afford to feed a 100 lbs dog with raw , you should see his meals. :cloud9: (dreamy for a dog I mean :D)

I have read that grains in kibble feed the cancer instead of feeding the dog. So you have to go with a no grains kibble (very expensive and not available in my area) or raw. Sam says he rather have raw :rolleyes:

That is very true and I am so glad that LP can help you with feeding raw to Sam. :thumbs up :angel:

I am sad to hear that Sam's cancer is starting to mestasize. :sad: Are you giving him any homeopathic supplements? :o

JanM
April 4th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Well done, frenchy and sam! I've been wondering how Sam was doing but was afraid to ask!

His life with you makes up for the hard times he had before you :thumbs up

Frenchy
April 4th, 2008, 10:29 PM
I am sad to hear that Sam's cancer is starting to mestasize. :sad: Are you giving him any homeopathic supplements? :o

Sam's getting sea weed , apple cider vinegar and slippery elm (he and Bailey have been having soft poop lately) provided by LP. And he will start the Deramaxx tomorrow morning. I don't want to give him too much stuff so I'm not sure about other supplement :o

luckypenny
April 4th, 2008, 10:35 PM
(he and Bailey have been having soft poop lately) provided by LP.

:eek: Really??

:D

Frenchy
April 4th, 2008, 10:38 PM
:eek: Really??

:D

:laughing: I know , I never mentioned it before :rolleyes: :D

luckypenny
April 4th, 2008, 10:41 PM
I know it's only been a day, but has the slippery elm made a difference yet?

Frenchy
April 4th, 2008, 10:45 PM
I know it's only been a day, but has the slippery elm made a difference yet?

Yes , now Bailey had GREEN mucous in his poop :laughing: from the slippery elm (it's a bit green) but no accident in the house. :highfive: Sam's poop was better. Bailey is more sensitive so it might take a bit longer. He's my sissy dog :D

growler~GateKeeper
April 4th, 2008, 10:48 PM
I'm glad to hear Sam is doing good :highfive: & the vet thinks so too eh? I'm sorry it is metastasizing :sad: :goodvibes: :grouphug:

rainbow
April 4th, 2008, 10:49 PM
he and Bailey have been having soft poop lately provided by LP.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Frenchy
April 4th, 2008, 10:52 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Nice editing Rainbow , I really don't know where you learned this .... :laughing:

rainbow
April 4th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Frenchy, I told LP about Flor Essence that I used with one of my previous dogs. I have NO idea if that was the reason he lasted 22 months instead of the 8-10 months prognosis he was given after his operation.

It is a wee bit expensive but it would not hurt Sam at all.

Frenchy
April 4th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Frenchy, I told LP about Flor Essence

Sounds like a shampoo :p

rainbow
April 4th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Sounds like a shampoo :p

:laughing: :laughing:

krdahmer
April 5th, 2008, 12:07 AM
I'm sorry to hear that the C is spreading:sad:, but really glad to hear that Sam is still doing alright:lovestruck:. And bravo to you and LP for working with the raw diet, I'm sure it really is helping! :thumbs up

As always you and Sam and Bailey and Nelly and those handsome kitties all have my prayers :pray: and :goodvibes: for many more good months together! :grouphug:

meg4050
April 5th, 2008, 01:25 AM
Frenchy, I'm glad to hear Sam is still doing ok! Sorry about the metastases :sad:

:pray::fingerscr & :goodvibes: for you, Sam, and the rest! :D

otter
April 5th, 2008, 08:33 AM
A big :grouphug: for you and Sam. Good work!!
It's so wonderful that Sam is doing so well even though the cancer is spreading - :pray: that this is going to be the way it is until it's his time :sad:

I think Molly and Bailey must share some bad belly flora - Molly is an eternally soft pooper too :laughing: I tried out some raw liver for her (which she loved:lovestruck:) but left me with yucky poop in the house for three days :yuck: I was thinking about you, Frenchy, the whole time. Back to pumpkin in her food for a few weeks but i'm going to see if I can find some slippery elm too.

More :goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes: for you and Sam. You're in our hearts and :pray:'s

ancientgirl
April 5th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Frenchy I'm sorry to hear about the way the cancer is developing in him. But you are making him as healthy and happy as you can.

:goodvibes: and :pray:to Sam and to you.

14+kitties
April 5th, 2008, 11:59 AM
:grouphug: for you and Sam. :highfive: on the raw! I am sorry as well that the C is spreading.
Have I told you lately how much I admire the lengths you go to for your animals and others? No? Well, I do. You have been an angel for so many animals (and people too). I know there is a special spot reserved for you on the Rainbow Bridge. :thankyou: for all you do!

Frenchy
April 5th, 2008, 12:19 PM
ime :sad:

I think Molly and Bailey must share some bad belly flora - Molly is an eternally soft pooper too :laughing:
I know that in the past weeks , many people have been having that same problem with their dogs , I blame the long winter :laughing:
I know there is a special spot reserved for you on the Rainbow Bridge. :thankyou: for all you do!

Thank you so much 14+kitties , you do so much yourself for all the kitties :cat: and I sure hope there's a spot for me at rainbow bridge , with all the beautiful 4 legged friends :cloud9: that would be heaven for me.

t.pettet
April 5th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Best wishes for you and dear Sam.

proudfosterdad
April 6th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Aww Iam Sorry Frency :) Cancer Is Rough

joeysmama
April 6th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Frenchy, I'm so sorry that Sam's cancer has metastasized. :sad: I hope that he does well for a long time and has lots and lots of good days. Sometimes you love them so much it just hurts doesn't it ???

:pray: for Sam and Frenchy !

Frenchy
April 6th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Sometimes you love them so much it just hurts doesn't it ???

Yes it does :o and sometimes you think life is just unfair. :sad: Sam is such a good boy !

rainbow
April 6th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Yes it does :o and sometimes you think life is just unfair. :sad: Sam is such a good boy !

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

TeriM
April 7th, 2008, 12:51 AM
I'm soooo glad that Sam is still feeling well even if his situation isn't all that great. You are a fabulous mom and Sam knows it!

Ford Girl
April 7th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Oh, thats as good of news as to be expected right? :angel:

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: