Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Court Ruling on Pet Travel via Air Canada

TKW
April 4th, 2008, 02:41 PM
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=4f01a6a9-5a8f-4e0a-94f3-b4225578d2ab&k=33740
Prior to this ruling, pets flying Air Canada would have been on Cargo Flights instead of checking in on the same flight with their owner.

Sorry, the thread title shall be: Canadian Air Transportation Agency ruled on Pet Travel....
But, I can't edit the heading

diandpat
April 4th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Well, it's about time. That was stupid, stupid, stupid!!!!! I am sure many passengers will now have their minds at ease, somewhat!

CyberKitten
April 4th, 2008, 10:09 PM
I am thrilled this fellow took them to court- we all owe him big time. I was planning on suing them if he did not but I wonder if he needs money to cover the court costs. We should think about that. I will find out. He has done us all an immense favour. Even if he is a lawyer, it would be not that inexpensive. And bravo to the agency!

NoahGrey
April 5th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Thanks for this:)

I am moving out west on May 6th and of course my kitty will be accompanying me. I was talking to AirCanada a few days ago and I said that I wanted my cat on the same flight as me, as well with my connecting flight.

He said that yes, they could do that from Toronto to Edmonton. He said then I would have to have at least a 2 hour stop-over in Edmonton for my cat to be on my connecting flight. My connecting flight was orginally only a hour stop-over...but I changed that.

I don't mind waiting 2 hours or more...as long as I know that my kitty will be on the same flight as me:)

I was thinking of taking Westjet...but they have really CRAPPY flight times. For instance if I were to fly out today, my connecting flight would not be until tomorrow. plus...they are a couple hundred dollars more then AirCanada...who knew. I thought that Westjet would have been cheaper.

I am just releaved that my cat will be able to come with me on the same flight.

ACO22

marko
April 7th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Some journalists feel that our board is a good 'pulse' for these things so they went to our board and then contacted me.

Thanks everyone!

http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5hlBTZeOgaDtue1JqNPPLkX7ZilYg
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20080405.PETS05/TPStory/?query=Watchdog+barks+back+at+pet+ban

NoahGrey
April 7th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Good for you Marko:)

And I agree, People are WAY more comfortable in knowing that their pets are on the same flight. Gives them more peace of mind, that their pet will not be shipped of to another location, or worse become lost/missing in the shuffle.

ACO22

marko
April 7th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Although I have never flown with a pet, I would sooner hitchhike across the country (ok take a train/bus/or other airline) then send my pet on a different plane than the one I was on. In general I only take several flights a year but I encounter some type of problem at least 50% of the time.

jealma
April 7th, 2008, 02:39 PM
My daughter and I travelled from Sryacuse to Alaska with her Shih Tzu. He was same enough that we were allowed to take him as a carry on. We paid extra money for him, and he had to stay in his carrier case, but he was with us the whole way. Is Air Canada going to allow a small pet like a cat or small dog as a carry on. We used West Jet and they were great

marko
April 7th, 2008, 03:12 PM
My daughter and I travelled from Sryacuse to Alaska with her Shih Tzu. He was same enough that we were allowed to take him as a carry on. We paid extra money for him, and he had to stay in his carrier case, but he was with us the whole way. Is Air Canada going to allow a small pet like a cat or small dog as a carry on. We used West Jet and they were great

No they are not and I see the logic there - Many people (like myself) are allergic to cats and dogs. It does not seem fair to allergy sufferers to have a pet in the same cabin. I'm really shocked that West Jet allows this.